newly diagnosed, physically ok, sugars ok but mentally not good

J

Jonnyjibbsuk

So guess am in no2 still
But no still getting the five stages ... As said don't fit for me ....
I have read and re read it again
Maybe I should stick to Astrix lol

Reactions: 2 people

Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
having to cook a meal for myself and then something different for my family is the hardest

I used to bake a lot of cakes for family , friends and as i own a kids club i bake a lot for them, this i am struggling with more and more each time i start to bake,

Many meals you can eat normally, but hold the carbs for yourself. Of course, if you like pasta bake, pizza and pies then life becomes more tricksy. Other people may well have solutions.
Similarly, others will advise of alternatives to traditional cake for diabetics - problem being they're not economic for bulk supplying to kids' clubs. If it was me, I would try to distance myself. In my teaching days, if I ended up at a disco, I would hate the music but tolerate it for the kids. I planned lessons for the kids, not me. The cakes are for the kids, not you. (Still hard though, nothing like a nice fresh home made cake).

J

Jonnyjibbsuk

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1431677586.077651.jpg
shown this before
But u can make cakes for u and others with no sugar
This is stem ginger and date cake

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jonnyjibbsuk - I didn't intend to trivialise the OP's very real feelings and concerns, but for me, it always helps me cope to keep it in perspective and think in relative terms to whatever else I might have to deal with in life - I was trying to highlight some positives. Paying my bills each month causes me significantly more distress than my diabetes for example.

T2 diabetes is perhaps a rare chronic issue where the patient gets to retain significant control over their condition and their own actions have a major influence on their well-being and outcomes - for me, that's actually a real positive - frustrating though it can be at times too!

Reactions: 4 people

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jonnyjibbsuk If I've caused offence, I apologise. I was responding specifically to the content of the OP's original message and some subsequent comments. She didn't mention having RA and it isn't in her profile, so I can't possibly know that my comments would end up causing offence because of it, or be inappropriate. So apologies if I inadvertently did.

I hope that you can manage to get some fresh air and that the weather is as nice for you as it is here - at the moment, I don't think it will last.

J

Jonnyjibbsuk

@Jonnyjibbsuk If I've caused offence, I apologise. I was responding specifically to the content of the OP's original message and some subsequent comments. She didn't mention having RA and it isn't in her profile, so I can't possibly know that my comments would end up causing offence because of it, or be inappropriate. So apologies if I inadvertently did.

I hope that you can manage to get some fresh air and that the weather is as nice for you as it is here - at the moment, I don't think it will last.

No not at all Boo..... Like you said ...it's about finding the positives for each person ...and I think that VT is in ..to quote " fedupness" day

Just ...I don't see any in being told you have diabetes ........

Ie....me old grumpy sod and should be ignored most times

C

catherinecherub

I was diagnosed March 28th with type 2, after a really bad few weeks my bg/bs has settled, now off glick only on metaformin 1500mg daily.
after the normal shock that come with my diagnoses , the anger, and despair i thought now my bg/bs had settled, my vision is more or less back to normal i would be feeling happier, but im not,
I hate meal times, hate the thought of cooking/making something even though i know i have too, everything seems to be getting be down, things i used to love to do now make me think " why bother" i get annoyed quicker, even angry at the stupidest of things,
as my gp has told me to avoid so many things i used to love to eat, cut out all sugars where possible what my carbs, what my fat intake the list is endless! i dread even looking at food!
is this normal? should i still be upset all the time? is this depression or still shock?
im not seeing my gp until next week and dont want to worry my family so as everyone on here as been so kind and helpful i thought id ask here

Let's get this thread back on track and try and help the OP.

Croc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sea filth!
OP, I do understand how you feel and feel for you because its not easy. I had cancer 10 years ago and have been type 2 for nearly 5 years. if I could swap the type 2 for cancer again,dI'd take it because that was easier to dwal with, I mean, I don't hardly ever drink, im not overweight, I gave up smoking years ago and now I cant have an effing cake! Sometimes life really isnt fair.

Now the good bit. After faffing around and not really getting a handle on my bs levels for a while, I've now thru a combination of a background insulin and cutting back the carbs somewhat though far from totally, reached a point where I can have treats on a fairly regular basis without it being a problem. If I can seriously, anyone can.

Don't get me wrong, its still a pain in the **** overall but it does and is becoming easier.

Gster71

Be careful I've had type 2 for 8 years 6 in denial til I decided to change my ways low carb diet excersie hbac1 5.2 controlled sugars but I felt real low at times but I'm sort of what you doing pull yourself together type but it started to happen quite often it scared me and I'm a 6ft broad built man of 43 so back too the doc's slight depression but with the right help & techniques learned I'm happy as Larry again! (Whoever Larry is) so be careful and don't not do anything about it help is there ask.

Sally66

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am having real problems to come to terms with pre-diabetes likely to be confirmed Type 2. I had such a hell of a year last year. Mum in later stages of Alzheimer's finally put into a home, Dad had a stroke in the middle of moving house which I had to complete on his behalf in 3 days whilst going back and forth to hospital. Then I was told that my gynaecological problems would require a total abdominal hysterectomy. Out of the blue my brother nearly died from a rare brain abscess. He survived and has made a good recovery. Had my surgery in November and was off work for 13 weeks. It was a massive op with a blood transfusion , was under for 6 hours and had to have a urological procedure too. During my recovery period a routine set of bloods revealed Hba1c level of 56 and subsequent fasting glucose below diabetes threshold but prediabetes. I've had less than sympathetic treatment from my employer during my absence and phased return and now this. I've just had enough!

Had my glucose intolerance test this week and I'm expecting a T2 diagnosis. Coming to terms initially with diet and exercise hasn't been too bad. It was all part of my game plan to work on my fitness and diet once I'd recovered from my hysterectomy. What is worrying me is the longer term effects. I love cooking. I have a nine year old I like to cook with. How will Xmas be? I feel terrible resentment that I can't have what I like. Every time I put food in my mouth I'm tormented by the thoughts of diabetes. I'm already on anti-depressants - prescribed during my family crisis last year. I was supposed to be weening off them but fear that may make me feel worse. I go from being miserable to raging anger and utter despair.

Work are being extremely tricky about anymore time off - I'm terrified to even attend an appointment in work hours and I just can't get them out of hours or in school holidays all the time.

Where do I go from here?

Yeknodathon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, just my experience: its a roller-coaster and the [partial] loss of things was and is hard and going through the NHS mill of understandings things better and making new choices I have found to be daunting. I mean, olives and pork scratchings a treat? Really, no way?! So, the new Ben & Jerrys peanut butter ice cream goes back into the freezer after checking the carbs yet again in case I mis-read them the last time because I just know I will have zero discipline when that lid comes off and I will chug the whole thing down.. so, if I want a wee cone treat... gotta work at it, and I don;t think I''m too far away :).

So what am I rambling on about? I guess, it is to offer hope and tentatively suggest nothing is off the menu, just that I am being asked to make choices and check how they affect me for good or not so good and adjust stuff and keep things in balance to satisfy Rita Meter and make decisions and predict how they will affect me... too many office sandwiches and crisps = Cranky Yeknod. Haven't plucked up the courage to suck our the sandwich fillings and leave the bread.. yet. Might get a HR memo if I did that.

Rm16

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So guess am in no2 still
But no still getting the five stages ... As said don't fit for me ....
I have read and re read it again
Maybe I should stick to Astrix lol

Hi just been diagnosed T2.Emotions on a rollercoaster since last weeks realisation that its Diabetes. Read the 5 stages , and I certainly wont be "Bargaining "with any higher spiritual force. I've eaten poorly for years , over indulging , no excercise , sedentary job, brought this on myself.
It was a time bomb waiting to go off.
Time to shape up or I'll be shipping out permanently.

brottonmoores

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I felt really depressed and angry when I was diagnosed 6mth ago, but also relieved that the symtons I had had a name in honesty I expected the diagnoses but I digress from the point
I'm feeling better now about it all but still have really down and weepy times but these are gradually getting less so fingers crossed you will eventually start to feel better but if you don't do not bottle things up get help talk to people
Love
Jan

DaveInCali

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
Don't stress, go kick diabetes a$$! I'm newlly diagnosed as well but it won't beat me. We just need to push through this challenge and be the better and healthier for it!

vinylandtrinkets

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
would like to say thank you to everyone who replied to my orginal post, its 10 weeks now and i think im finally over the depressing stages, ive accepted my diabetes, wont let it beat me, my RA isnt controlled which is still a big issue as they keep saying you need to go back on the steriods ( not a hope in hell) learning every day about what i can and cant eat, learning every day the feeling of hypos ( only had a couple now) and knowing how to prevent or stop them.

thank you all once again you have all helpped in your own way just by replying, its so good to know we're not alone in our quest to beat this **** thing