I need a diabetic friend

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have been diagnosed for 19 years now and probably like a lot of you, I still struggle! I get down, I hate it, I binge when I know I shouldn't. I wish I had the strength to stick to what I know I should be doing religiously! I think I need a diabetic friend. Someone who I can whinge too, someone who really understands what it's like. Someone this can give me proper advice and tell me to get a grip!!!

Does anyone want to be my diabetic friend?

I think it may help me in feeling like I'm not alone and having to deal with this cack by myself.

Loads of supportive peeps on this forum! It takes courage to speak up and ask for a bit of help.:)
Just in case you didn't know, the #gbdoc (gbdoc.co.uk) has just announced that it's running another conference specifically for people with diabetes next year. Just as you say, it's an opportunity for people to meet face to face, chat and yes have a good old moan if needs be! amongst others who just 'get it'. Try to come along - last year's event went very well, and we want to make it even better this year.

sugarfree79

Hi

I would love a friend to chat to aswell! I am 35 and have had diabetes since I was 13. Struggle more every day than I did 20 years ago. I have now come to a point where I actually hate this condition. Nobody in my family understands and I could quite easily give up :( xx

Reactions: 6 people

lesleyp1978

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Emmotha, I have tried the chocolate which I bought about 6 months ago and it is still sat in my cupboard after I tried to scrape the one chunk from my tongue! Ha ha. I'm definitely a milky kinda chocolate girl.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi

I would love a friend to chat to aswell! I am 35 and have had diabetes since I was 13. Struggle more every day than I did 20 years ago. I have now come to a point where I actually hate this condition. Nobody in my family understands and I could quite easily give up :( xx

:(You are never alone - there is a whole community of people out there willing to share and offer support to help you cope with what is a ****** condition.

Reactions: 6 people

lesleyp1978

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm 37 by the way. I was diagnosed just after my 18th birthday at Easter time and I remember coming home from the hospital and seeing my big pile of Easter eggs that had been bought for me before I went in and I was gutted!! Still am ...

I am overwhelmed by the response to this topic. I know I am not alone but it's finding you guys! I was thinking about setting a group up on facebook that is a private group so no one would see what you were posting. Let me know if you think it's a good idea and I'll sort it out.

My email address is [email protected] for those of you who want to get in touch. Xx

Reactions: 4 people

lesleyp1978

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

That's exactly how I feel! In fact I am sat here crying after just talking about it to the hubby. I hate it.

My sister is epileptic but I say that it's not as bad as she can just pop a pill and forget about it. EVERYTHING that we do has an effect, a consideration to be taken into account. I'm so tired lately, it's mentally draining.

Sorry, I'm getting a bit deep, thank you all for listening xx

Reactions: 7 people

TyTy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
That's exactly how I feel! In fact I am sat here crying after just talking about it to the hubby. I hate it.

My sister is epileptic but I say that it's not as bad as she can just pop a pill and forget about it. EVERYTHING that we do has an effect, a consideration to be taken into account. I'm so tired lately, it's mentally draining.

Sorry, I'm getting a bit deep, thank you all for listening xx
hi you never alone on this forum, there a lot of people on here , always willing to help and give advice on there experiences , i know it helped me alot to get through some bad times, was only diagnosed in April , came as a shock really, so coming to terms with it all has been helped by some great people here,

i know that you have been diagnosed with it longer than me, but it helps to talk, of course if you want to talk any time feel free.

sugarfree79

It is so hard isnt it? I have been to my GP and her response was "you have had this over 20 years, you should be used to it by now....." yeah thanks for that!

TyTy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
That not good attitude from your GP

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It is so hard isnt it? I have been to my GP and her response was "you have had this over 20 years, you should be used to it by now....." yeah thanks for that!
Holy smoke! She sounds like a bit of an a$$.:eek:. Perhaps she was having a bad day and was all out of her empathy quotient.

shabso80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been diagnosed for 19 years now and probably like a lot of you, I still struggle! I get down, I hate it, I binge when I know I shouldn't. I wish I had the strength to stick to what I know I should be doing religiously! I think I need a diabetic friend. Someone who I can whinge too, someone who really understands what it's like. Someone this can give me proper advice and tell me to get a grip!!!

Does anyone want to be my diabetic friend?

I think it may help me in feeling like I'm not alone and having to deal with this cack by myself.
Hi I was diagnosed with type 1 last month and I'm totally devastated. I really don't know how I'm going to carry on, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hope this all goes away :-(

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I was diagnosed with type 1 last month and I'm totally devastated. I really don't know how I'm going to carry on, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hope this all goes away :-(
Where do you live Shabso? Just to remind you guys, that we are meeting next month in London. We all know that its not easy sometimes and meeting other type1 really helps :)

Reactions: 4 people

lesleyp1978

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you all for your responses and for the messages I have received!

It sounds like we are all in the same situation and it really is good to talk! I am stuck in a bit of a lull at the minute (not just due to diabetes) but I can't seem to kick myself out of it!

Anyway, for those who are interested, I have set up a facebook page called Your Diabetic Friend. I thought it may be a good place to moan and groan or share your joys cause you've had sugars below 8 mmol all day!!!

Anyway, if you fancy liking the page then here is the link .....

https://www.facebook.com/yourDiabeticFriend

Lesley xx

Reactions: 7 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Would love to join this. I also look our for people in the same boat as me that 'understand'. Husband very good but I think he needs a beak from me and diabetes sometimes as well so talking (moaning!! ) to others will help

vinty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great idea lesleyp1978, would love to join. Just had a look at facebook page, its public so anyone can read it x

Last edited by a moderator:

silverbirch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is so difficult regardless of how long you have had it. Sometimes I feel so alone and other times I feel so stupid for having that biscuit that I know I shouldn't have!! It's nice to speak to people in the same boat. X

Hi @lesleyp1978 I don't understand why you say you shouldn't have had a biscuit. You can eat anything you want as long as you match the insulin to the carbs.

Bethgabs

Hi everyone!
Nice to see everyone in similar positions and interested in others with diabeties!
Ive liked the group on facebook think its a lovely idea x

Reactions: 2 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Aw I would like a diabetic friend tooooo :) I've liked the Facebook page but I don't think I'd post on it unless it was a closed group as i don't like the idea of my friends/family reading about my gripe's but that's just me :) xx

Reactions: 12 people

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Folks!
I was diagnosed T1 last October. At 56 with no T1 in my family is was a slight shock to say the least! I understood the basics of the condition, but nothing can prepare you for the day to day reality of living with it. WOW! I even dream in numbers now! LOL! I too have noticed how friends and family have little interest once they think you're out of danger. Naturally, you take the hint and just stop mentioning it. Not good mental health practice, but what can you do? Guess that's where you folks come in! Sorry to have this condition but glad to be part of your community! As for those of you who've had this fight for many years - give yourselves a break! You're bound to want to give up at times - it's hard work and often frustrating, but you're bloody hero's! I'm so impressed by you all! You're my incentive to keep at it! Moan when you need to - good to know I'm not alone! LMAO!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people