IncyWincy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is from BBC Good Food mag June 2015.

CCF06062015.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The meatballs one looks nice Incy. I had decided not to have courgetti with spagbol again as I had an unpleasant reaction to it last time, but this might work better. Might give it one more try.

Reactions: 5 people

IncyWincy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The meatballs one looks nice Incy. I had decided not to have courgetti with spagbol again as I had an unpleasant reaction to it last time, but this might work better. Might give it one more try.

Have you tried other vegetable noodles? I think celeriac, carrot, butternut squash and sweet potato are all suitable depending on your sensitivity to carbs and taste preference. I've only tried courgetti so far and I don't have a spiraliser, just a julienne peeler, so I am rather wary of denser veg!

Reactions: 2 people

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried other vegetable noodles? I think celeriac, carrot, butternut squash and sweet potato are all suitable depending on your sensitivity to carbs and taste preference. I've only tried courgetti so far and I don't have a spiraliser, just a julienne peeler, so I am rather wary of denser veg!
I've never actually eaten sweet potato, but I keep seeing it being mentioned, so I'm going to have to try it soon. I only have a peeler, so I haven't tried anything else either. Butternut squash might be good too. Some more to add to my long list of things to try. Thanks.

Reactions: 5 people

jackie_oates_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
WHEN YOU GET THAT BBQ GRILL OUT, YOU WILL NOT WANT TO MISS THIS ONE!!

Grilled Cabbage OMG this is soooo yummy!!!

Ingredients:
1 head cabbage
4 teaspoons butter
4 slices bacon
Spice mix:
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese

Directions:
1 Cut cabbage into four wedges.
2 Place each wedge on a piece of doubled heavy-duty aluminum foil.
3 Spread cut sides with butter.
4 Mix spices together in a small container and sprinkle all of the mixture equally over each wedge.
5 Wrap bacon around each wedge.
6 Fold foil around cabbage, sealing each wedge tightly.
7 Grill cabbage, covered, over medium heat for 40 minutes or until the cabbage is tender, turning twice.

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
That grilled cabbage sounds really tasty. We do onions in foil in the coals at the bottom and love those, so this might go well with BBQd meats too. Another one to file to try. Many thanks.

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
Thanks for this, sorry I didn't pick this up earlier, stiil finding out how this site works.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A use for cauliflower: coconut curry base for chicken/fish

Cook cauli florets from frozen in a microwave without water for 5-6 minutes and stick them in a blender. Or you can grate/blend a whole cauli unfrozen.
In a pan with coconut oil soften a chopped onion with 1 or 2 tsps curry powder,* 2 cloves chopped garlic, chopped fresh ginger (optional) & 1 tsp turmeric.
After a couple of minutes add the cauli, half a tin of tomatoes, 1 tbsp peanut butter, 5 tbsps coconut milk & seasoning.
Simmer until it tastes done depending on whether you cooked the cauli first or not.
Blend it or not depending on your preference for texture.
Add fish or seafood or cooked chicken and heat through thoroughly.
Or cool and freeze and add the fish etc another time.

*I make a curry-type powder mix from 2 tbsps cumin, 2 tbsps ground coriander, 1 dsp ground turmeric, half a tsp cayenne pepper, half a tsp whole mustard seed, half a tsp ground ginger. Saves mixing for every recipe. Will also make curry paste with a bit of olive oil/softened coconut oil for coating meat/fish.
If you feel sorry for the garam masala jar ignored in the spice rack, by all means chuck some in too.

If this is a repost, or dangerously wrong in any way, please advise :***:

Reactions: 12 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I like to serve some slices of sweet potato with cauliflower cheese. As whole sweet potato tends to take ages to cook, I speed things up by peeling one, slicing it thinly and cooking the slices in butter in a frying pan while preparing everything else. Then I put them in the Cauliflower Cheese with some slices of crispy grilled pancetta. I'm guessing they're high not low carb! So I only use a little at a time.

sumatra1234

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All! I've been eating low carb for around a year and lowered my A1C to below 5.0 and lost ~50lbs. I started posting low carb recipe videos and my current weight loss journey on youtube, so I thought I would share:

LOW CARB SNACKS:
LOW CARB BREAKFASTS:
LOW CARB LUNCHES:
LOW CARB DINNERS:

TrinMonroe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am slowly learning how to eat with low and no carbs...its taken me years to get here but better late than never i guess....tho i wish i had found this forum for support and looked after my sugar levels better before now.

I have added some recipes that i hope anyone might find useful.

Salmon Broccoli Pasta

75 gms per person Wheat/Gluten free pasta twists or shells, Broccoli florets, one salmon fillet, half tub of healthy creme fraiche, i tsp mustard, spices of your choce.

1. Boil 75grams (per person) of wheat/gluten free pasta and broccoli together. (takes about 12 mins).
2. Microwave a salmon fillet for 2 mins.
3. Put the cooked pasta and broccoli in an oven proof dish and flake the salmon in it.
4. Mix one teaspoon of mustard into half a tub of healthy creme fraiche, add some paprika and some dried parsley and mix well.
5. Mix the creme fraiche into the pasta,salmon and broccoli...mix well making sure everything gets covered in the creme fraiche.
6. Put in the oven for about 10 mins.

Variations
:
add prawns and sweetcorn to this or use chicken breast instead of fish.

Sweet Potato Chips

Sweet potato, spray coconut oil, spices of your choice.

1. Peel and slice some sweet potatoes into thin chips.
2. Put in a large dish and spray some coconut oil and mix well.
3. Add some paprika and dried garlic pieces and any other spices you like.
4. Mix well and spread the chips onto a baking sheet.
5. Spray coconut oil over the top and bake in the oven for about 10 mins on 200c.

Chicken Patties

Minced turkey, coconut oil, red pepper, leek, garlic and spices of your choice.

1. Put a tray of turkey mince into a bowl and add some herbs and spices of your choice. (i use paprika, dried parsley and pepper).
2. Fry a leek, small diced red pepper and one clove of garlic, crushed in two sprays of coconut oil and once softened add to the turkey mince, mix well.
3. Make about 4-6 patties and add some coconut oil spray into a non stick frying pan and cook for about 5 mins each side until they have gone white in colour and cooked through.
4. Put on a baking tray and cook in the oven for about ten mins. (i usually add these with the chips).
5. Serve with the sweet potato chips and salad or veg of your choice.
One or two patties per person depending on how big you make them.

Chicken Pie

Cooked chicken, one tub of creme fraiche, 1 tsp mustard, leek, red pepper, about 4 medium sweet potatoes, one swede, one garlic clove,spices and herbs of your choice, spray coconut oil.
1. I use a ready cooked chicken from the supermarket for this dish as it definitely has a better taste to the finished dish. Take the chicken off the bone and flake into an over proof dish.
2. Peel and chop into small cubes about 4 medium sweet potatoes and one swede. Boil until soft and mash together with some black pepper. (i dont use butter but you could add a small teasspoon of butter in the mash).
3. Fry a leek,diced red pepper and one clove of garlic, crushed in some spray coconut oil and add to the chicken and mix.
4. In a tub of healthy creme fraiche add one teaspoon of mustard and any spices and herbs, (i use paprika and dried parsley).
5. Mix the creme fraiche into the chicken and stir well making sure all lthe chicken mix is covered.
6. Spread the mash on top of the chicken and bake in the oven for about 20 mins on 200c.
This makes enough for 4 people.

Variation:
You can use fish with this recipe, and you can also add some grated cheese on top of the mash if you want to.
(i dont use cheese as its tasty enough without).

Salmon cooked in Lemon and Ginger

Two salmon fillets, one lemon, one ginger bulb, silver foil.

1. Slice some ginger and put on a sheet of baking foil.
2. Add some sliced leek onto the ginger.
3. Add 4 slices of lemon onto the leek and ginger.
4. Add two salmon fillets on the top.
5. Grate some lemon zest onto the salmon and juice of half a lemon. Use the juiced lemon, slice it and add on top of the salmon.
6. Close the silver foil into a parcel and cook in the oven 200c for about ten mins.
Serve with salad, roasted sweet potato or brown rice and veg of your choice.
Serves 2.

Variations:
You can use chicken instead of salmon or any other fish.I also use lime zest and add some lime juice.

Lime Chicken and Egg Fried Rice

Two chicken breasts, one boil in the bag brown rice (serves two people), one lime, 1 tsp honey, 2 tbs of light soy sauce, 2 eggs, leek, spray coconut oil, crushed garlic clove, frozen sweetcorn.

I use brown rice that i have already cooked earlier for this recipe.
1. Marinate two chicken breasts in some lime juice, one tbl spoon of light soy sause and one tsp of honey.(leave in the fridge for a few hours for a more intense flavour).
2. Mix together 2 eggs in a dish and leave to one side.
3. Cook the chicken breasts on a griddle pan while you are making the egg fried rice.
4. Stir fry a sliced leek in spray coconut oil, add a clove of crushed garlic and some frozen sweetcorn.
5. Add the egg to the wok and stir until cooked.
6. Add the brown rice to the pan and add some light soy sauce and some lime zest and juice, cook until heated through.
Serves 2.
Serve the rice with the chicken on top.

Courgette and Almonds

2 tbsp flaked almonds, spray coconut oil, 2 courgettes, finely sliced.

1. Heat some spray coconut oil in a frying pan and cook the lamonds for 2 mins.
2. Add the courgette and toss together until the courgette is cooled through.
Serve with fish or chicken.

Prawn Stir Fry Noodles

About 200g peeled prawns, chilli chopped, one garlic clove crushed, bunch of coriander, lime juice, coconut oil, small piece of ginger, red pepper thinly sliced, sliced spring onions and 1tsp soy sauce, bean sprouts.

1. Put the chilli, garlic and coriander into a blender, add half of the lime juice and pour over the prawns in a bowl.
2. Heat some spray coconut oil in a wok and add the ginger and spring onions and fry for 1 min.
3. Add the red pepper and cook for 2-3 mins.
4. Add the bean sprouts and soy sauce.
5. Fry the prawns for 2 mins and add the marinade, then pour into the veg dish.
Serve with wheat/gluten free noodles and sprinkle with coriander.

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Canadian Crustless Quiche

Ingredients:
4 rashers of Bacon
6 medium mushrooms
3 spring onions
1/2 cup grated strong cheddar cheese
1 ripe tomato (sliced)
1/2 tbsp butter
4 medium eggs
3/4 cup double cream

Pre-heat your over to 180 deg C
In a cold frying pan put your bacon rashers in (medium heat). Fry until crisp and then place on a paper towel to cool. Slice you onions (including the green part), slice your mushrooms and fry the mushrooms in the butter. When your bacon is cool, chop it in to 1/2" pieces and put it in the bottom of an 8" pie dish.
Sprinkle on the spring onions and the cheese and then the mushrooms, followed by the slices of tomato.
Beat the eggs and add the cream to them - season with salt and pepper - then beat them some more. Pour this over the other ingredients in the pie dish and bake for half an hour or until firm.

Serve warm or cold. Serves 4.

I made this today - well a variation on it. I used some leftover gammon joint chopped up, sliced red onion instead of spring onions and I didn't bother to fry the mushrooms, there's really no need. It was delicious and with my amendments, quick and easy to throw together!

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I made this today - well a variation on it. I used some leftover gammon joint chopped up, sliced red onion instead of spring onions and I didn't bother to fry the mushrooms, there's really no need. It was delicious and with my amendments, quick and easy to throw together!

Did you fry the onions first and, if not, did you omit the butter?

Thanks.

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you fry the onions first and, if not, did you omit the butter?

Thanks.
No I didn't fry anything, just sliced the red onion thinly, so yes, there was no need for butter. I also probably used more cheese than half a cup (whatever that means!), but then I do love a cheesy quiche.....:)

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No I didn't fry anything, just sliced the red onion thinly, so yes, there was no need for butter. I also probably used more cheese than half a cup (whatever that means!), but then I do love a cheesy quiche.....:)

Thanks for that, sounds good and as I have some ex battery hens I get lovely fresh eggs "organic" every day day. I can also take a chunk with me when out for the day as I can't take sandwiches!!!

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that, sounds good and as I have some ex battery hens I get lovely fresh eggs "organic" every day day. I can also take a chunk with me when out for the day as I can't take sandwiches!!!
You'll need a fork to eat it as it's a little more fragile than quiche with a crust. We don't have our own hens but we get all our eggs from a small farm nearby where you can see the happy hens wandering in the garden, and very good they are too!

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No problem, I can take a fork with me.

They are so much nicer than the supermarket free range eggs. I also like it that my chickens are being "chickens" for the first time in their lives. They were very poor looking things when I got them; one had virtually no feathers, was bright red and all oozy and wet looking. Within a few weeks she looks like a proper chicken; I didn't think she would live as she looked so awful, poor little soul. Great to see them scratching around doing what chickens do!

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No problem, I can take a fork with me.

They are so much nicer than the supermarket free range eggs. I also like it that my chickens are being "chickens" for the first time in their lives. They were very poor looking things when I got them; one had virtually no feathers, was bright red and all oozy and wet looking. Within a few weeks she looks like a proper chicken; I didn't think she would live as she looked so awful, poor little soul. Great to see them scratching around doing what chickens do!
Aww, poor little thing, at least they are now having a good life with you, well done!

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aww, poor little thing, at least they are now having a good life with you, well done!
Thank you, Dizz. Only four of them were laying. I named the red, oozy one "Ruby" and thought she was the one not laying but she lays a huge egg every day. I told them that the one who wasn't laying was called "Casserole" and she had better start or else; not that I would!!! However, in the last few days I have been having 5 eggs so she has started laying. I am now snowed under with eggs, can't give them away fast enough! I have 2 for breakfast every morning and my husband has the occasional one so we don't have enough spare to sell really but too many to eat.