Hello, I'm a newbie.

Anthea1948

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone.
I've been flirting with diabetes since 2004, but was diagnosed properly with Type 2 last year. I was put on metformin, which I took for a month and put on half a stone, so the meds were changed to Sitagliptin, which caused constipation and muscle pain, so was switched to Gliclazide which caused hypos. For the three months I took the meds I felt really ill, nauseous, and stomach pains and generally poorly. So I stopped taking anything. The diabetes nurse eventually got in touch with me and asked me to take the metformin again. I put this off for a while as I had other health issues and started it again a couple of weeks ago. I put on over 3 pounds in 5 days. Has anyone else had this problem with Metformin?
Additional info - I suffer from rheumatoid and osteo arthritis high blood pressure; chronic constipation; hypothyroidism following radio iodine treatment for over active thyroid; odema; vit D deficiency and iron deficiency anaemia. I understand the anaemia could give false glucose levels reading, I've to see the nurse in a fortnight and have to take my levels each day in the meantime. They're high - 15 tonight before evening meal, but I don't seem to have any of the symptoms associated with Type 2 diabetes. I'm confused!

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Hi and welcome , so sorry to read of your problems , I remember my husband having an upset stomach when he first started taking Metformin , but not a weight gain . If your BS levels remain high , I would see if you can bring your appointment forward , 15 before a meal is not good, did you take it again 2 hours after eating ? Some people, myself included, don't have any atypical symptoms at all , good luck when you see your nurse .

Anthea1948

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Kate, thanks for your response.
I'm only taking the levels once a day at the moment so no, I didn't take it 2 hours after eating yesterday but did today, I'm trying to vary it as much as possible. The nurse is talking insulin, but I think she's just saying that as a threat as she backtracked when I said i'd happily give it a try!

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Good luck with your appointment, just keep a good record , dates and times , hoping all goes well for you .

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
been on Metformin for a while now and not had the problem you have had , hope it is sorted soon for you :)

Reactions: 2 people