really really really worried about my husband!

vinylandtrinkets

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
to start at the beginning. im type 2 so have a test meter at home.
over the last week my husband has been complaining about weeing a lot, not painful but often, so i thought it might be a water infection, as he was working ( shifts) he didnt get to see out gp until today, after i tested his bg with my meter, the reading i got was 18.8! told gp and booked for fasting bloods on monday. now tonight i tested his bg again before a meal and it was 17.1 and 2.5 hours after it was 25.8!! now im worried sick, i had him test his ketones ( ive got strips for that too) and its normal thank god!

im going to take his bg again in an hour, do i take him to A&E or wait???
i dont want to frighten him anymore then he already is ( not good with illness or stress)
hes not over weight, fit and healthy, drinks lagar couple of times a week, bad diet due to stupid shift patterns

im so worried i feel sick

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Vinyl, I would personally want to get that checked out as soon as possible. Blood sugars that high are unlikely to be life threatening in the short term, but they are cause for concern. Type 1 diabetes is likely, but the only way to be completely sure is to seek medical advice. I'm not sure how equipped A+E are to do a diagnosis, but I would speak to a medical professional as soon as you can. The first thing to do might be to ring NHS direct. The main thing is to keep calm. A lack of ketones is a very good sign.

Reactions: 6 people

Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
Get him to the doctor for full blood tests and advice. It certainly sounds like diabetes, although whether T1 or 2 remains to be seen.
Cut the carbs over the weekend.
A few days of sky high blood sugars are not the end of the world.
Hope you get sorted.
Best wishes
Adam

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, don't panic. Sugars that high if kept an eye on for a few days won't normally do any harm. See the GP as soon as you can. If your husband has normal weight then T1 becomes likely. Having a low carb diet for a few days at least should avoid the risk of DKA.

Reactions: 4 people

vinylandtrinkets

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thank you all for your replies, i spoke to the out of hours dr's last night who told us to wait until monday for the blood test, checked his bg when he got up and it was 12.7 so after peeking at 26.8 last night it dropped a lot, it seems now after meals ( low carb no sugar) to be a steady 25.0

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Ask for an emergency appt on Monday, wven without any blood test back and take in the blood meter readings and list of foods etc. it does not necessarily have to be a GP. A Nurse Practitioner can disturb a GP if necessary.. And this is necessary. Your hubby needs to be seen Monday...

Reactions: 4 people

vinylandtrinkets

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
quick update, hubby had bloods done yesterday and a phone call off the surgery this afternoon to see our gp tomorrow, the blood test showed high levels 107 i think she said, im guessing its the h1p thingy,
they will likely want to repeat the blood test as its been over 3 years since his last

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
quick update, hubby had bloods done yesterday and a phone call off the surgery this afternoon to see our gp tomorrow, the blood test showed high levels 107 i think she said, im guessing its the h1p thingy,
they will likely want to repeat the blood test as its been over 3 years since his last
Hi vinyland trinkets, your husband is lucky to have you watching over him,when i was diagnosed 2 yrs ago now my doc' said your bs is 28.8 take these metformin tabs one am etc and avoid sugary things ,and try to lose some weight,well since finding this forum and lchf way of eating i have lost 3st in weigt and my bs is now averaging 4.0 so don't worry with the right diet and exercise he'll be ok,

vinylandtrinkets

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi vinyland trinkets, your husband is lucky to have you watching over him,when i was diagnosed 2 yrs ago now my doc' said your bs is 28.8 take these metformin tabs one am etc and avoid sugary things ,and try to lose some weight,well since finding this forum and lchf way of eating i have lost 3st in weigt and my bs is now averaging 4.0 so don't worry with the right diet and exercise he'll be ok,

well done on the weight loss thats brilliant, my hubby has lost over 4 st also not intentionally , it was due to a fatality at his works, he tested his bg this morning so after nightime fasting its 11.1 so still quite high,
as there is 2 of us who is diabetic i think it will be easier to control meals and exercise.
once again i would like to thank everyone who replied to my original post, theres now light at the end of the tunnel