Why are people eating specific and low carb diets?

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Interesting feedback...would you like to elaborate on which points you disagree with?

Carbs aren't necessary...I beg to differ. If you speak with any elite level cyclist they will tell you that carbs are essential. I also have months worth of lab tests done both on the bike and off the bike that back up that carbs are very much necessary - for me as an individual any way.

But yes I agree - they often are rather tasty to eat!!
I think this has been an interesting thread and brought up some very interesting points. I am also not a low-carber, and right now I have no intention of becoming one.

I think you are absolutely right about the exercise. It is THE key, and I agree that it should be on prescription for all diabetics, not just type 1s.

I don't low carb, but I had terrible problems for years on MDI because I was diagnosed back in the dark ages when needles were like roughly sharpened fire pokers, insulin contained all kinds of crystallizing agents and there were no blood sugar meters. I ended up with terrible injection sites and, I now realize, very poor and erratic absorption of insulin. And terrible hba1cs.

But I exercised a lot. Just because I thought, "Dammit, I've got to live. And I like sport so I'm doing it."

And on switching to a pump recently, I got my blood sugar under control in a very short time and have proved to have very high insulin sensitivity. Nowadays, at fifty-plus, I am trying to build muscle and get back closer to the levels of fitness I had twenty years ago (when I was doing martial arts up to five times a week, plus cycling everywhere). In fact, if I can get my fitness and flexibility up, I might just start karate again. (probably hit the headlines in Turkey "Funny old foreign lady starts karate - and she's diabetic fgs!)

Have you read The Diabetic Athlete's Handbook. She says that when you build muscle, you effectively have a bigger "sink" for glycogen in your muscles and that storage of glycogen helps to even out your blood sugars later (I'm looking for the quote right now. If/when I find it, I'll post it.)

She gives examples of athletes who eat almost as much for breakfast in carbs as I do for the whole day - and I'm not low carbing! So, yes, there are lots of people like you.

I do think that you mustn't underestimate the difficulties in coordinating an insulin regime and a serious exercise routine. All the planning, adjusting and correcting is not for wimps.

I also have a personal goal to get my insulin intake down below 20 units a day, WITHOUT low carbing. That means some serious exercise!

Reactions: 4 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
I think this has been an interesting thread and brought up some very interesting points. I am also not a low-carber, and right now I have no intention of becoming one.

I think you are absolutely right about the exercise. It is THE key, and I agree that it should be on prescription for all diabetics, not just type 1s.

I don't low carb, but I had terrible problems for years on MDI because I was diagnosed back in the dark ages when needles were like roughly sharpened fire pokers, insulin contained all kinds of crystallizing agents and there were no blood sugar meters. I ended up with terrible injection sites and, I now realize, very poor and erratic absorption of insulin. And terrible hba1cs.

But I exercised a lot. Just because I thought, "Dammit, I've got to live. And I like sport so I'm doing it."

And on switching to a pump recently, I got my blood sugar under control in a very short time and have proved to have very high insulin sensitivity. Nowadays, at fifty-plus, I am trying to build muscle and get back closer to the levels of fitness I had twenty years ago (when I was doing martial arts up to five times a week, plus cycling everywhere). In fact, if I can get my fitness and flexibility up, I might just start karate again. (probably hit the headlines in Turkey "Funny old foreign lady starts karate - and she's diabetic fgs!)

Have you read The Diabetic Athlete's Handbook. She says that when you build muscle, you effectively have a bigger "sink" for glycogen in your muscles and that storage of glycogen helps to even out your blood sugars later (I'm looking for the quote right now. If/when I find it, I'll post it.)

She gives examples of athletes who eat almost as much for breakfast in carbs as I do for the whole day - and I'm not low carbing! So, yes, there are lots of people like you.

I do think that you mustn't underestimate the difficulties in coordinating an insulin regime and a serious exercise routine. All the planning, adjusting and correcting is not for wimps.

I also have a personal goal to get my insulin intake down below 20 units a day, WITHOUT low carbing. That means some serious exercise!

And, in reply to the original question, that is exactly why I am taking the lower carbohydrate route...

I'm not in a position to undertake such exercise as mentioned by all those who do.

Like @ Heathenlass and others, I was an "Eat Well" carboholic and that was fine for 20 years; but things change and I didn't (I was ignorant of such things) and so my body, mind and family started to pay the price.

I am using low carb diets to give my body a rest, establish control and cleanse it of all the toxins I seem to have built up.

Do I find it difficult or a chore? Absolutely not. In fact my wife and I are discovering a world of gorgeously colourful and tasty foods and beverages that have left us both feeling healthier, more energised and less dominated by the need to snack than ever before.

Do I intend to eat coffee and walnut cake for my 45th birthday? You bet! It's just that now I know what and how to bolus to ensure I won't see my BGs shoot through the stratosphere.

Do I intend to eat some more 41% full fat soft cheese New York Cheesecake from Waitrose when I next really feel like a treat? You bet.

But in the meantime, I will continue to low carb and reap the rewards of a better me.

Reactions: 6 people

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I have never counted carbs ever and fundamentally eat what I feel like. I inject as much insulin as I need for what it is I am about to eat. My highest HbA1c in the last 8 years has been 7.5 and my lowest 6.7.

I keep it simple. We all have to control our diabetes the way that works for us but for me it's not algebra, weights and measures.

My 3 decades experience of living with this illness is my most effective tool and I seem to know how much insulin to inject as soon as I have worked out what I am going to eat.

If a non diabetic eats an ice cream their pancreas will produce a little more insulin and I work my diet in exactly the same way. If I fancy something sweet or a carby pizza I give myself more insulin to cover it ! Though I am sensible.

For me I do not see the point in having to inject insulin if I can not use it the way my pancreas would if it worked !

Reactions: 8 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@kevinfitzgerald So it's instinctive to what you eat for you ? Does this work with new foods you have not tried before ? Do you test before injecting ?

What are your meter figures like ?

I'm genuinely curious ! hence the questions :)

Signy

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Heathenlass I do not normally post anything regarding blood testing as it is something I am not consistent with and if being totally honest rarely do. It would be arrogant and dishonest of me.

I am fortunate as I have good awareness by how I'm feeling regarding being low or too high. If I'm feeling low or high an hour or two after eating (or before) I will either inject a little more insulin or have a couple gulps of lucozade to put me right

With regard to new foods it's just a quick analysis of what the main source of energy is and I adjust accordingly.

I have a rough system of how much insulin I give before meals

Breakfast anything from 4 - 8 units of Novorapid (this morning cheese and tomato omelette with salad 6 units)
Lunch anything from 6 - 10 units of Novorapid (Didn't have lunch so didn't inject)
Supper anything from 10 - 18 units of Novorapid (this evening chicken tika, rice and salad with wholemeal roll 14 units)
Bed Time always 16 units of Lantus

My diabetes team always tell me to continue as I am. I was told that as long as I keep my sugar levels in good range it's entirely up to me to how I do it.

I used to test bloods strictly for a few years after diagnosis when I was 13 and I would advise any newly diagnosed Type 1's to keep it tight I have only been able to do this due to experience and nothing more.

But yes fundamentally it is instinctive to what I eat and how I feel :)

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you,@kevinfitzgerald for answering, it answers my question and satisfies my curiosity . I didn't mean to pry, but is IS unusual so me being me, I just had to ask :)

Signy

Reactions: 7 people

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you,@kevinfitzgerald for answering, it answers my question and satisfies my curiosity . I didn't mean to pry, but is IS unusual so me being me, I just had to ask :)

Signy

I know you weren't prying, it is unusual I suppose. I drank for twenty years and hardly ever did blood tests in those days or injections come to that so I just got used to relying on instinct I suppose.

As I stated it is only through experience that I do this and I am also sensible in what I eat but it does allow me to eat more like a non diabetic and yes I do treat myself regularly. If I fancy a trifle later I'll just inject 3 units novorapid and have one. I don't over think this illness.

**** I haven't any trifles in the fridge ! :(

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I know you weren't prying, it is unusual I suppose. I drank for twenty years and hardly ever did blood tests in those days or injections come to that so I just got used to relying on instinct I suppose.

As I stated it is only through experience that I do this and I am also sensible in what I eat but it does allow me to eat more like a non diabetic and yes I do treat myself regularly. If I fancy a trifle later I'll just inject 3 units novorapid and have one. I don't over think this illness.

**** I haven't any trifles in the fridge ! :(

Do you ever test 2-3 hours after meal though to Just check that your rises have been minimal??

I only ask because as much as I have always been a lower carber I did start to get background retinopathy after about 25 years of T1. I never checked 2-3 hours after a meal until I got my pump 5 years ago and my then consultant gave me the advive to check my rises 2-3 hours after food.

This advice I can honestly say is the best I had ever in 30 + years of being T1. Due to this advice alone my background retinopathy disappeared and according to nhs and opticians my eyes have been normal for 4 years.

I just am wary as I thought I had ecellent control until my driving incident (another strory) and until this consultant really helped me to optimise the control I thought I had...

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Do you ever test 2-3 hours after meal though to Just check that your rises have been minimal??

I only ask because as much as I have always been a lower carber I did start to get background retinopathy after about 25 years of T1. I never checked 2-3 hours after a meal until I got my pump 5 years ago and my then consultant gave me the advive to check my rises 2-3 hours after food.

This advice I can honestly say is the best I had ever in 30 + years of being T1. Due to this advice alone my background retinopathy disappeared and according to nhs and opticians my eyes have been normal for 4 years.

I just am wary as I thought I had ecellent control until my driving incident (another strory) and until this consultant really helped me to optimise the control I thought I had...

No I very rarely test unless I am really unwell with something.

I have had some background retinopathy over the years but I have never had any treatment to my eyes including any laser surgery.

I had my eyes tested at the Royal Free three weeks ago and it has improved.

If anything I tend to give myself slightly more insulin to what I need so a few hours after eating I will probably be a little low rather than high and a biscuit or swig of lucozade will sorts that out !

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
No I very rarely test unless I am really unwell with something.

I have had some background retinopathy over the years but I have never had any treatment to my eyes including any laser surgery.

I had my eyes tested at the Royal Free three weeks ago and it has improved.

If anything I tend to give myself slightly more insulin to what I need so a few hours after eating I will probably be a little low rather than high and a biscuit or swig of lucozade will sorts that out !

You must be one very fortunate, happy-go-lucky character with barely a care in the world and/or you grossly over simplify your lifestyle and treatment methods.

Whichever it is, good luck to you.

Reactions: 3 people

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
l
You must be one very fortunate, happy-go-lucky character with barely a care in the world and/or you grossly over simplify your lifestyle and treatment methods.

Whichever it is, good luck to you.

Well I don't think I am neither actually. I am certainly not happy go lucky. I suffer with a chronic anxiety disorder (GAD) and have been a recovering alcoholic for over 11 years after nearly dying three times during my dependency.

I do not stuff my face with mars bars, coca cola and big mac meals all day long. I eat sensibly and in moderation but allow myself to enjoy myself once and a while.

I have been type 1 since 1981, I am 47 years old, 5 ft 7 and 10 stone, have never had laser surgery on my eyes , have never had any toes, fingers or limbs amputated, and my kidney and liver function tests have always came back as good and I have worked full time all my life and have never been a burden to anyone.

I have complications yes but in general I am in good shape and it is due to good control. It is definitely not down to being fortunately or lucky. It is down to me respecting my illness but using my own personal experience of what works for me. I know my diabetes as I am sure you now yours. I am sure you treat yours the way that gets the best results for you and that is exactly what I do.

I have never once advised anyone to follow my example or judged anyone by theirs either.

I grossly over simplified my lifestyle when I drank a litre of vodka a night as a night cap.

I do not grossly over simplify my lifestyle in the same way that I do not grossly over complicate it either.

I have balance between the two and that's as simple as it needs to be. I speak only for myself though..

Reactions: 7 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Kevin, I think you are a hero to manage the addiction but I also think you are lucky. Some people are you know. It could have been so much worse from you tell us so yes, I'd say you are lucky. You could have been dead or blind or worse.

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Totto Absolutely Totto but my last post was in response to me apparently "grossly over simplifying my treatment !" :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I just been reading through this thread & have a different angle on it.. How do I put this tactfully..?!
Us type ones are insulin dependent. Goes without saying.. Lol
Is it not just a case in the OP's T1 regime of using prescribed insulin to get a "little edge" on the competition? Regarding the cycling performance..
It's well known that non D weight lifters try it.. Why not a competitive T1.? (Excuse the pun. ) a case on "having yer cake & eating it."

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think the drawbacks to having to control your insulin input during competition probably outweighs the possible advantage of using it to build muscle. Even world class athletes get in wrong (eg Kris Freeman, the x country skier in the last Olympics)

But I do agree with the team Type 1 cyclist Phil Southland* who says “Exercise is the billion dollar drug that never gets prescribed”

. My local doctors do prescribe exercise to both T1s and T2s and not just as a throw away comment. I've mentioned before that there is a picture of a three legged stool on the wall of the diabetes education room at my local hospital. The three legs are diet, exercise and insulin(medication) all being equally necessary.
The courses I've done have always included some practical exercise , mainly walking but also sessions with a physio.They also have 2 stationary bicycles on the ward . (courses are in patient but they also take people into hospital; both T1s and T2s to help them if they have serious control problems)
For me I think exercise is really important and unless there is something physical that prevents you then you really should try to do some.
Yesterday I had low glucose all day; too low for about 10 min before lunch . I took just under 25 units of insulin. Two days previously I took 31 units and had much higher levels including raised levels following morning; the difference was not diet it was exercise. The higher insulin day, I was on the computer most of the day as I had the day before.
Yesterday, I went swimming twice; not for long and I don't swim fast, just nice plodding ,old ladies breast stroke. In one session I did a bit of 'running ' in the water. That was the one that caused the 57mg/dl pre lunch.

Exercise can be 'free' so all it costs is time , you don't have to go to the gym, you can go out of the front door and run or walk or cycle. You can do exercise videos in your front room in front of the tele (or even use you tube on the computer)
When I commuted to work I used to cycle or even sometimes run to the next station on the line. ( some daily exercise got done, slightly reduced ticket cost and luckily more trains stopping ; a win, win, win situation; I admit that was pre diabetes's)
So if including some exercise means I can include more carbs in my diet then that is great. Carbohydrate containing foods are basically plant based foods. They don't have to be highly processed. I would say that it is cheaper to eat a diet high in plant based foods with a small amount of animal derived ones than one high in animal based foods with just a few plant based ones (like say a Bernstein diet which restricts veg and fruit, precludes legumes and any grain in whatever form)
Cost is fairly important to me but much more so for most of world's diabetics

* http://teamtype1.org/about-team-type-1/

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
l

Well I don't think I am neither actually. I am certainly not happy go lucky. I suffer with a chronic anxiety disorder (GAD) and have been a recovering alcoholic for over 11 years after nearly dying three times during my dependency.

I do not stuff my face with mars bars, coca cola and big mac meals all day long. I eat sensibly and in moderation but allow myself to enjoy myself once and a while.

I have been type 1 since 1981, I am 47 years old, 5 ft 7 and 10 stone, have never had laser surgery on my eyes , have never had any toes, fingers or limbs amputated, and my kidney and liver function tests have always came back as good and I have worked full time all my life and have never been a burden to anyone.

I have complications yes but in general I am in good shape and it is due to good control. It is definitely not down to being fortunately or lucky. It is down to me respecting my illness but using my own personal experience of what works for me. I know my diabetes as I am sure you now yours. I am sure you treat yours the way that gets the best results for you and that is exactly what I do.

I have never once advised anyone to follow my example or judged anyone by theirs either.

I grossly over simplified my lifestyle when I drank a litre of vodka a night as a night cap.

I do not grossly over simplify my lifestyle in the same way that I do not grossly over complicate it either.

I have balance between the two and that's as simple as it needs to be. I speak only for myself though..

Thank you for your candour @kevinfitzgerald - very much appreciated and admired.

I make no apologies for levelling the accusation or the manner in which I did; I know that you were not advising anyone to follow your example, but in context of the conversations in this thread I read it as being boastful, lackadaisical and having the potential to misguide some who are in a vulnerable state and looking for another way. I appreciate that was/is not your intent - but such is the nature of the English language that each of us can read into what is said in an entirely different manner from that which it was written - hence my provocation.

I think we all know how difficult and complex this condition can be - and especially so when life goes awry and impacts upon our ability to manage it effectively; but we also run a fine line between controlling it and letting it control us, including frequency of testing, etc., etc. (I was often told I was over-testing,when in reality I was over-reacting to each result.)

I quite agree with you and @Totto: you are lucky - both to have survived the incidents and to have done relatively unscathed in terms of your diabetes and complications, but also to live in a country (the UK) where treatment for diabetes and alcoholism is treated free at the point of delivery (despite the flaws in the NHS).

I'm truly sorry to read about the addiction and the GAD and you have my sincerest respect in fighting them as well as having T1 that can't have been / be easy.

With very best wishes.
C.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I think the drawbacks to having to control your insulin input during competition probably outweighs the possible advantage of using it to build muscle. Even world class athletes get in wrong (eg Kris Freeman, the x country skier in the last Olympics)

But I do agree with the team Type 1 cyclist Phil Southland* who says “Exercise is the billion dollar drug that never gets prescribed”

. My local doctors do prescribe exercise to both T1s and T2s and not just as a throw away comment. I've mentioned before that there is a picture of a three legged stool on the wall of the diabetes education room at my local hospital. The three legs are diet, exercise and insulin(medication) all being equally necessary.
The courses I've done have always included some practical exercise , mainly walking but also sessions with a physio.They also have 2 stationary bicycles on the ward . (courses are in patient but they also take people into hospital; both T1s and T2s to help them if they have serious control problems)
For me I think exercise is really important and unless there is something physical that prevents you then you really should try to do some.
Yesterday I had low glucose all day; too low for about 10 min before lunch . I took just under 25 units of insulin. Two days previously I took 31 units and had much higher levels including raised levels following morning; the difference was not diet it was exercise. The higher insulin day, I was on the computer most of the day as I had the day before.
Yesterday, I went swimming twice; not for long and I don't swim fast, just nice plodding ,old ladies breast stroke. In one session I did a bit of 'running ' in the water. That was the one that caused the 57mg/dl pre lunch.

Exercise can be 'free' so all it costs is time , you don't have to go to the gym, you can go out of the front door and run or walk or cycle. You can do exercise videos in your front room in front of the tele (or even use you tube on the computer)
When I commuted to work I used to cycle or even sometimes run to the next station on the line. ( some daily exercise got done, slightly reduced ticket cost and luckily more trains stopping ; a win, win, win situation; I admit that was pre diabetes's)
So if including some exercise means I can include more carbs in my diet then that is great. Carbohydrate containing foods are basically plant based foods. They don't have to be highly processed. I would say that it is cheaper to eat a diet high in plant based foods with a small amount of animal derived ones than one high in animal based foods with just a few plant based ones (like say a Bernstein diet which restricts veg and fruit, precludes legumes and any grain in whatever form)
Cost is fairly important to me but much more so for most of world's diabetics

* http://teamtype1.org/about-team-type-1/

Very well said @phoenix .

But I believe your local hospital needs to replace that picture!

In my experience, diabetes is a four-legged stool with one leg permanently shorter than the others: Irrespective of how well controlled one gets it's always a jittery ride requiring a conscious effort to maintain stability.

And four legs (diet, exercise, medications, attitude), because without the right attitude (ie. emotional & pyschological approach) to the condition one will never really achieve a harmonious balance.

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you for your candour @kevinfitzgerald - very much appreciated and admired.

I make no apologies for levelling the accusation or the manner in which I did; I know that you were not advising anyone to follow your example, but in context of the conversations in this thread I read it as being boastful, lackadaisical and having the potential to misguide some who are in a vulnerable state and looking for another way. I appreciate that was/is not your intent - but such is the nature of the English language that each of us can read into what is said in an entirely different manner from that which it was written - hence my provocation.

I think we all know how difficult and complex this condition can be - and especially so when life goes awry and impacts upon our ability to manage it effectively; but we also run a fine line between controlling it and letting it control us, including frequency of testing, etc., etc. (I was often told I was over-testing,when in reality I was over-reacting to each result.)

I quite agree with you and @Totto: you are lucky - both to have survived the incidents and to have done relatively unscathed in terms of your diabetes and complications, but also to live in a country (the UK) where treatment for diabetes and alcoholism is treated free at the point of delivery (despite the flaws in the NHS).

I'm truly sorry to read about the addiction and the GAD and you have my sincerest respect in fighting them as well as having T1 that can't have been / be easy.

With very best wishes.
C.

I to appreciate yours ConradJ.

No it was not my intent to come across as you have accused as you said. This is why I stated in my response to @Heathenlass
that I wouldn't normally post anything regarding meter readings (I think this is the very first time I have) due to creating an unintentional "storm"

I work hard to keep my HbA1c within range as I am sure most of us do. I exercise, I watch what I eat (with treats) and I take my medication so it works effectively and with the consent of my diabetes team. I am certainly not lackadaisical around my diabetes and I certainly did not intend to come across as boasting. I have had some awful experiences and struggles with my illness over the decades I've lived with it and I saw my father die from it back in 1988.

I was just being honest and sincere in my reply to a question based entirely on my own experience on how I control my diabetes. I truly didn't think I would be "accused" of something by doing so !

You are right regarding how people perceive what others write or say. I will just add that we are all responsible for our own perceptions of others (like treating a book by its cover). I am not responsible for yours of me and vice versa but I am fully aware now that no matter how truly sincere I feel (without ego) when saying or writing something that I need to remember that.

Ha ha first time I've ever got a little wound up on this forum but as I said in the last paragraph that's my responsibility !

Very best wishes back to you to ConradJ :)

Kevin

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would love to make more meaningful comments but the simple fact is, you have only be diagnosed a short time..........

so your not the best example for the rest of us to base our control on............due to the honeymoon period....

you understand that right?

If one doesn't exercise enough then yes, they would need to compensate with a lower carb diet.......

:)

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ha ha first time I've ever got a little wound up on this forum

It's not the first time I've 'succeeded' in that :oops:

On the plus side, it's good to get wound up once in a while; like using Redex in the car, it seems to create a good blowout! :woot: