Possible Hypo?

Renfield

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Wondering if what I have been feeling is a hypo.

Diagnosed 12 days ago, BG 20.7 and Hb1ac 105

Just got my testing kit yesterday.

This morning 7.5

Tested Rice Crispies but after 2 hours went to 14.3

Had an Omelette for lunch.

Then an hour ago, I made my wife a cup of tea (she has it with 2 sugars) and I took a tiny sip as i really miss tea and within a few minutes I felt really bad. It was very similar to how I used to feel before I was diagnosed.

I tested by BG and is was 4.8 (SD codefree) which is the lowest I have seen. While I understand technically a hypo is less than 4, I cannot think it is something else.

I had a bowl of soup and a couple of slices of brown bread, and started to feel better after an hour or so. I tested 2 hours later and I was at 10.9.

Is it possible I had too many carbs at breakfast, and then as I had none for lunch, my BG crashed? Can you have a crash after a surge?

Pre diagnosis, I would have a bowl of bran flakes, and go to work (I work from home). I did this for well over a year with no issues, but over the last six months, after an hour or so, I would start to feel much like I did earlier. Obviously I would not have had any testing kits, but considering it has the same symptoms, I can only presume it was what was happening. The only way around this was to have an additional 2 slices of toast as well, and then i felt ok. However I would have been guzzling coke, which should have kept it high.... so it does not make sense

Could it be the "instant" sugar in Coke was not affecting my blood sugar as much as longer carbs? Or could it be it went in and out so quick and the toast kept it high enough till my break?

Confused o_O

Ren

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, yes, I've learned that my body does exactly that, if I eat carbs.

The more I avoid the highs, the better I feel, and the more steady my blood glucose.

You probably have masses on your plate at the moment, with a new diagnosis and switching to low carb, starting testing, etc, etc. But when things have settled down a bit have a search for threads on reactive hypoglycaemia. Reading about it probably wouldn't help you much at the moment, especially since you've already learned the best RH lesson of all (avoid carbs, or you will crash!), but it may help you to understand ways to fine tune your control, after you have got settled. And, since it may not be relevant to you, there's not much point in distracting you at the moment.

Reactions: 2 people

Renfield

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, yes, I've learned that my body does exactly that, if I eat carbs.

The more I avoid the highs, the better I feel, and the more steady my blood glucose.

You probably have masses on your plate at the moment, with a new diagnosis and switching to low carb, starting testing, etc, etc. But when things have settled down a bit have a search for threads on reactive hypoglycaemia. Reading about it probably wouldn't help you much at the moment, especially since you've already learned the best RH lesson of all (avoid carbs, or you will crash!), but it may help you to understand ways to fine tune your control, after you have got settled. And, since it may not be relevant to you, there's not much point in distracting you at the moment.

Couldn't resist a quick look at reactive hypoglycemia, and that seems to fit the bill.

As i started testing, i thought it was a good idea to test my normal cereal. But after a number of days low carbing, i think it must have been a shock to my system to have that amount of carbs so early.

Thanks for the advice.

Renfield

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you on any treatment?

No, no treatment. they said to me that they don't give any medication within the first 3 months.

to be honest, I will do everything I can/need to avoid taking medication if i can help it.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As your body is so used to your BS being high when it went down to 4.8 your body reacted accordingly as it thought you were going too low. . When I was diagnosed my average BS was about 12 and when it went into the 5's I felt like I was having a hypo with shaking ect. I have been eating a LCHF diet and now my average BS is 5.4 and I had a low reading of 2.9 last week and I had no hypo symptoms at all. It's all a bit confusing to start with. How have your readings been since, have you had any more low BS readings.

Reactions: 4 people

Renfield

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As your body is so used to your BS being high when it went down to 4.8 your body reacted accordingly as it thought you were going too low. . When I was diagnosed my average BS was about 12 and when it went into the 5's I felt like I was having a hypo with shaking ect. I have been eating a LCHF diet and now my average BS is 5.4 and I had a low reading of 2.9 last week and I had no hypo symptoms at all. It's all a bit confusing to start with. How have your readings been since, have you had any more low BS readings.

They have been very good if I am honest.

I am using the SD codefree, which gives you a 7 day, 14 day and 28 day average.

My 7 day average is 5.8 and my 14 day average is 6.8.

I am not had a hypo symptom in a week or so.

I do sometimes get a very sore head, although when I check my levels they are not that low. But I have been having blurred vision for the last few weeks as my levels go down, so that is most likely due to straining my eyes.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

The headache could also be not enough salt. Lots of us supplement broth, potassium and/or magnesium when low carbing, because we tend to eat far less salt on a LC diet.

Have you seen Volek and Phinney's book on low carb? It's a fascinating read. Taught me a huge amount. Details in my sig. :)

Renfield

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

The headache could also be not enough salt. Lots of us supplement broth, potassium and/or magnesium when low carbing, because we tend to eat far less salt on a LC diet.

Have you seen Volek and Phinney's book on low carb? It's a fascinating read. Taught me a huge amount. Details in my sig. :)

You could be right. Never thought of salt.

The potassium and magnesium....is that just in tablet form? like a multi vitamin?