BYETTA

tinam

Re: Anyone use Byetta?

hi viv thanks for the encouragement i need to eat and dont feel like it. but i no i need to. glad to hear that the second time round is good for you , im sure ill get there in the end, dont feel like i can be bothered with myself just now, going to have a wee holiday going on sat so hopefully that will make us all feel a bit better and i just heard my neice is about to have her baby so looking forward to that . take care xx

Traveling Guy

Hi,

I started Byetta (Exenatide) last year on 5 mic dose twice a day and aside from a little sickness all went well, increased to 10 mic and had real problems with sickness for a number of weeks, took a break (as I was traveling for 8 weeks and not wishing to spoil the trip) but have lost 2 stone - not sure if it was the drug or sickness - lol

Having a great diabetic team we tried again longer on the 5 mic and increasing but I could not cope with the sickness and feeling lousy (however levels were good between 4 and 6) so I have stopped for a break and back on Metformin and Gliclazide with good results and no more sickness.

The Byetta is a great drug and works well for me it was just the sickness, but I am going to give it a break and then try again, no doubt we are all different and we just have to try and see how it works for us. Hope they can overcome this issue somehow.

As for needle phobia I found the tum a great place, never really felt the jab at all, not even a "sharp scratch" good luck with it.

Keep smiling

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Hi Tg.
Welcome to the forum. Have a good look around and ask any questions you wish.

See you have the 'nausea' problem. Does affect a few of our members. There are a lot of remedies that people have tried with varying degrees of success. Have a read of the previous posts.

One in particular that is supposed to be good is ginger biscuits or capsules. Another is to eat immediately after injecting the Byetta. Personally, I have never had a problem and can leave eating till about half an hour after food. Must be my 'cast iron' constitution. :lol:

Ken. :D

Silvercat

Travelling guy - I was very sick on the 10 dose for 3 months so I went back down to the 5 and my Hba1c is now down to 5.9. Why don't you just try sticking to the lower dose and see how it works?
Try discussing it with your doc/nurse.

vivkaroo

Dislikes
Grumpy people, being bored, Bad weather. smoking

hi tinam you know what they say youve lost someone dear then look your talking about a baby! i lost my husband 17 yrs ago after yrs of marriage we were so happy but i built my life back together my how we are strong when we need to be, still on my own but just have not met anyone and battled my diabetus ibs and weight now i am finally quite happy its been a long haul but isnt it amazing how we all find our inner strength but we do take care hun and try to eat if only little bits you will get there luv i lost my dad 3 yrs ago and my sister with breast cancer 2 yrs ago and my brother year ago with cancer so i know how you feel take care hun :(

luv vivkaroo xx (enjoy your hol x)

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble

Hi Travelling Guy,

Silvercat is absolutely right about sticking with the 5mcg dose if it is doing the job. Byetta is still relatively new in the UK and unfortunately most doctors here don't understand how to use it. UK medics regard 10mcg as the normal dose and the 5mcg as just a stepping stone to get there. In the US, where Byetta was developed and has been available for quite a few years, doctors regard 5mcg as the normal dose and 10mcg as a super-strength dose only for those that need it. Needless to say the US Byetta population has far fewer drop-outs due to nausea than we have.

Silvercat

I think I have been very lucky Dennis as my hospital has a diabetic centre who trialled Byetta for 18 months before it went on release here so they tend to know a fair bit. They are also very flexible and always willing to discuss things.

eastender56

Hi Dennis, Yes I started using it two weeks ago, I was very scared as read the american stuff about law suits etc and was in two minds however, diabetic team told me that if I carried on the way I was going I would end up with stroke or heart failure or worse so I started taking it. I am very scared of needles and jumped up and down a few times around the kitchen before I did it the first time lol It did sting at first and for the first four or five times I had a huge bruise but, I am ok now. It is ok now although the feeling sick does bother me and I believe that is why one losing weight on it because you feel so sick all the time. I have lost half a stone which is bril for me as I weighed 15 and a half stone before and now am dead on 15. I am still bothered by the needles and the side effects of feeling shaky, tired and sick but if my count stays at between 4 and 7 how it is doing then I will carry on with it until I have lost all my excess weight but then I will come off in the hope that I can controll my diabetes without it.
regards
Joy :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

Hi Joy.

As Dennis has explained elsewhere the risk of Pancreatitus on Byetta is incredibly small. You are more likely to develop it as a non-user !! Do not worry about it. Just bear it in mind if you have major problems.

As for feeling sick, if you read the previous few posts there are some remedies which may help, mostly involving Ginger in one form or another ?

Are you injecting whilst standing ? It is far better if you sit down then there will be more fat/flesh to inject into and less likelyhood of the injection stinging. You should also pinch the flesh around where you inject.

You don't say when the 4 and 7 readings are taken. Do you test your Bg levels regularly ?

I am not sure about the info in your profile. Are you on Insulin as well ? You are shown as a pump user ? Can you clarify please ?

Ken. (friend of Dennis) :D

Caroline P

Hi All :)

I've just been prescribed Byetta today and am waiting a week to start (have to be within 30 days of my next appointment). Although a little nervous about the nausea (currently suffer some very nasty toilet troubles with Metformin for last 3 years) but I'm thinking if I can put up with bathroom runs everyday a little sickness isn't going to harm me :p

I'm 34, been diagnosed as type 2 for just over 3yrs and currently have readings anywhere between 12.0 and 23.2 on 4 Metformin and 4 Glicazide a day. Hate to admit to being a rather shocking 20 and a half stone, each time I lose 3 or 4 stone I find the following few months it creeps back on again no matter how well behavd I am.

I am hoping that the Byetta gets my glucose back to where I was this time last year (readings between 4.3 and 8.0) and if there's any weight loss then that is such an added Whoopppeee as it might just kick my bum into looking for a few more positives rather than feeling quite dispondent as I have done this year.

I have enjoyed spending the last 2 hours reading this thread and seeing a lot of positive outcomes for so many of you, I wish you all well and long may this continue. I hope to post again shortly after I start my treatment with some good news to :) (fingers crossed)

Many thanks for such an informative and positive forum, whatever concerns I had this morning have now vitually disappeared and am looking forward to starting on what seems like a win win treatment.

Best Wishes to you all and hopefully speak again soon.

Carrie

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Hi Carrie.
Welcome to the Forum from another 'spit' user. I am impressed you took the time to read through all the previous posts. Dedication indeed. :D

You hopefully will find that Byetta is the drug to answer most of your problems. I hope you are starting with the 5mcg pen ? However, if you can add in lifestyle changes, so much the better. Any medication always could do with a little outside help ?

Diet may well be an area that could be looked at ? With High Bg levels such as you mention carbohydrates could well do with reducing in the first instance - no. I'm not talking about low carbs, just a reduction. It can and does help. I can vouch for that. It also helps with the weight loss too.

See you are only on 2g of Metformin ? and max dose of Gliclazide. If you can tolerate the extra 1g of Met it may be a short term option till Bg is under control ? Discuss with your GP.

So, Carrie take your time to look around and just ask questions when you are ready. We are here to help and support you.

Ken. :D

Caroline P

Hi Ken,

Ty so much for the warm welcome :)

I have indeed been on a self-introduced low carb diet for about 18 months now and at first saw a wonderful drop in glucose and weight but alas even after getting a puppy into the household for the additional excercise I saw all the good work slowly come undone again and by the end of last year I felt almost back to square one.

I do have an occasional blip (a slice of white toast or handful of crisps from an unattended packet lol) but other than that I've tried to be as good a girl as I can (found a sugar free jelly can stave off even the worst sweet-tooth moment). I think my downfall is not so much eating the wrong foods but just too much of the right foods during the day at work. I nibble on crispbreads and fruit slices, melba toast slices or a rye bread and think the grazing might be having a big part to play in the continual high readings. Not much of an opportunity in my line of work to take a walkabout or stretch the legs. I know if I didn't take the nibbly bits in with me I wouldn't have them to eat but I'd hate to give in to the evil of the vending machine lurking in the office kitchen and thought if I took my own "healthier option" it might help rather than hinder.

Anyhoo, ty for the advises I am also going to use being given the Byetta as a chance to have another overhaul of my diet and try again to sit on my hands where practical and not let them wander to the Ryvetta, my tummy may well thank my for that one to as wheat based products do tend to aggrivate an already "irrate" stomach lol

If the Byetta does indeed stave off some of my "munchies" then I'll tip my hat to the "spit", this just may be the leg up I need to get me back on track again :)

Best Regards

Carrie

Ooo yes forgot to mention I am indeed starting with the smaller dose and need to wait til Sunday to start so that day 30 coincides with my next hospital visit and then the upgrade to the big one hehe :)

Jude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Hello Carrie

Welcome to this very active thread - if you have been reading through it you will have noticed my postings which are fairly recent (past 3 months). I am just up to 12 weeks on the Byetta 5 pen and unfortunately have suffered with persistent nausea - am now taking a ginger capsule with my breakfast to help that - and am hoping to go up to the 10 pen this week (although I am quite scared!!). :lol: Still it has to be done.
The other thing I was going to suggest was to ask your GP or hospital team if you can have the slow release metformin as that should help with the bowel problems - quite a few of us on here are on the sr. As I also suffer with irritable bowel the sr has been very helpful although I must also add that my IBS has been significantly improved since starting the Byetta. I am also struggling with my weight (a whole life time) but I am still on a small dose of background insulin (lantus) and I think that might be detrimental to my weight. Actually, you say you are on gliclazide - that definitely put weight on me, almost overnight. Are you coming off that when you go on the Byetta? I came off the Gliclazide and went on to the Lantus and am now coming off the Lantus (nearly there) to take Byetta.
This forum is very helpful and supportive. Speak again. Jude

Caroline P

Hi Jude :)

I have been on both the fast release and now the slow release metformin, must admit there was only a slight improvement with the "bathroom" side of things with the SL but then I've suffered as you have, with IBS since I hit about 19yrs old. Been caught out on a few occasions and left feeling very very redfaced, thankfully I have a very very understanding partner who makes no big deal of things even though I was motified lol

Ahhh now that's a new thing i've learnt that our dear friend Glicazide is a potential weight-gainer, that might explain why I have more of an appetite now then I did before being given it and therefore the putting the weight back on would be also explained.

They are keeping my tablet medication the same whilst i'm on the 5 dose but are looking at removing the Glic when I graduate to 10 hehe

Just been shopping and as I packed away the fridge there was that lil darlin "spit" pen smiling up at me, giving me that knowing "see you Sunday" look. Can't wait to try it just need to get something ginger based in stock before the weekend in case the nausea really is offputting, can't be sitting at work feeling sick, might not go down to well with the colleagues seeing as we sit virtually on top of each other hehe

Best Regards

Carrie

Vivienne

Carrie,
I have just completed 3 weeks on Byetta...BRILLIANT.
No sickness, a little nausea in week 1, less diarreah (SP?) than usual with my metformin SR (4 X 500mgs a day), No novarapid for 3 weeks (was 100 units a day) Lantus reduced from 90 units to 50 units, weight loss 1 stone, doing low carbs. I feel great!

Vivienne

Caroline P

Well, I started on the "spit" today :)

Have to say faced with the real show I've been ruddy nervous with the pen today hehe.

Had a couple of teething probs while testing the pen first time and boy the first one hurt. Evening dose didn't hurt at all even with me shaking like a jelly (sugar free of course hehe). No nausea so far but this is only day one :)

I'm hoping I become a little less shakey and more of a pro over the next few days so that it becomes second nature with the needle lol

Anyhoo, here's hoping once it kicks in over the coming days I start to get some better figures than I have for a while.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Best Regards

Carrie

PS so sorry Vivienne, where are my manners, ty for the welcome and encouraging post :) Best Wishes to you :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Hi Carrie.

Glad to hear things are OK so far. Hope it stays that way. :D

If you have any questions please ask.

Ken.

Keefyboy

Hi All,

I have been waiting since April to be started on Byetta. I have followed your thread over that period and thought, with only a week to go before my appointment to start the treatment, that I would join in the chat.

I am type II (dianosed by me in 1997 despite assurances from my GP that I was wrong) treated with the normal Metformin (3 x 850), as well as Levemir and Novorapid (I don't mind the Rapid injections in the stomach but the Levemir in the thighs makes me incredibly sore). Since using various types of medication over the past few years, I have seen my weight increase by 5 1/2 stone which is the reason for moving me over to the spit. Since I last saw the diabetic consultant in April, I have reduced my carb intake enormously. The odd thing is that i have lost no weight to speak of and my BS levels have actually increased slightly.

I am getting to the stage where I am a little fed fed up with the whole business. I am usually very good with what I eat and my only real pleasure is a drink or three at the weekend. Despite this, I have had huge amounts of laser therapy for Proliferative Retinopathy and all kinds of other problems as a result of the neuropathy. I am pinning my hopes on the spit to ensure better control and fewer related problems going forward.

Anyway, I didn't come on here to moan but merely to introduce myself in advance of the start of my treatment next week.

Keefyboy :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Hi Keefyboy.
Welcome to the forum. Have a good look around and ask any question when you are ready.

Your story is very similar to my own and others on here. The 'spit' will, I am sure kickstart that weight loss. It certainly did me. I have lost over 3 stone since beginning on Byetta in January. Steady and easy without any real additional measures other than a drastic reduction of carbs to around 60g carbs per day. Stick with it and I am sure your results will astound you.

Ken.

Keefyboy

Hi Ken

Thank you for the welcome. Your experience seems very promising and I am quite positive at the thought of the benefits of Byetta. I have picked up tips from the thread on what to expect and how to deal with it if necessary. Fingers crossed that all goes smoothly. I will let you know how I get on.

Regards.

Keioth