IBS and Type 2

Wendyk1501

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Arrogance and Rudeness
Hi, after a few days of stomach pains I went to my GP and was diagnosed with IBS. I already have excess stomach acid which is controlled by Omeprozol. I've been given a drug called Mebevrine which is an anti spasmodic and am due for a progress report with my GP this week. Any advice would be appreciated as I'm struggling to eat and can't face food knowing that whatever I eat will have an effect on my stomach. Blood sugars are not settled at all pre-breakfast/fasting readings are between 9 and 12! Normally they are 5-8 don't understand this as I'm not eating as much as I usually do.

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear that you're feeling unwell. Intestinal distress can make you miserable.

Three comments spring to mind; firstly, that not eating in itself can raise BG - it doesn't in everyone, many people would simply fall lower over time, but I'm one of those that gets progressively higher if I go a while without eating. Your Iiver dumps glucose into your bloodstream if it thinks you're going hungry.

Secondly, a raise in BG can indicate an infection - likewise, your liver dumps glucose to fuel the fight against invading infectious cells etc. So your current illness could actually be an infection. IBS tends to be quite a long term complaint that you usually suffer with all of your life, I remember my first visit to the docs as a teenager with recurring bowel issues - at least 30 years ago.

Thirdly, have you recently changed your diet, or are you newly diagnosed and therefore modifying your diet to try and get BG down? I recently went to a lower carb routine when I started on insulin and did experience quite a lot of Intestinal discomfort as my body adjusted to the new foods. It's settling for me now, but I almost gave up, wondering if the new regime simply didn't suit me. Your body needs different enzymes and bacteria to digest different foods, so big changes in diet require your body to adapt and that takes a little while.

But, hopefully your doc will have covered all of these options as a diabetic I'm sure.

Not sure what to suggest in respect of eating without knowing what you usually eat. Safe bland foods are usually best when unwell, preferably things that won't raise your BG any higher.

Villageman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, after a few days of stomach pains I went to my GP and was diagnosed with IBS. I already have excess stomach acid which is controlled by Omeprozol. I've been given a drug called Mebevrine which is an anti spasmodic and am due for a progress report with my GP this week. Any advice would be appreciated as I'm struggling to eat and can't face food knowing that whatever I eat will have an effect on my stomach. Blood sugars are not settled at all pre-breakfast/fasting readings are between 9 and 12! Normally they are 5-8 don't understand this as I'm not eating as much as I usually do.

Do remember too that stress for whatever reason can also raise sugar levels.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wendy, have you been prescribed any drugs for your diabetes?

IBS and gastric reflux can be connected with foods containing fermentable fibres and the diet that helps control the effects of the fermentation is the FODMAPS diet: http://www.med.monash.edu/cecs/gastro/fodmap/

I had a number of digestive issues on diagnosis (including reflux attributed to hiatal hernia) and IBS. I found adopting a wheat free, low carbohydrate diet made a big difference and was eventually to stop taking the PPI (nexium) that I'd been taking for the reflux. It's not difficult to combine low carb and FODMAPS dieting - reducing carbohydrates is an excellent way of lowering blood glucose levels.

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Forgot about meds - I now see that she's on Metformin, so how long have you been on that, as Metformin can certainly have an effect on your digestive tract?

Wendyk1501

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Arrogance and Rudeness
Thank you for the reply. The raise in blood sugar levels will be something I talk to my GP about. I had my gallbladder removed over 20 years ago and since I'm having some pain in that area (as well as everywhere else) it could there is something is wrong and possible an infection. Not too much change in my diet I was trying to be healthier!

I've been diabetic for 7 years and take Metformin 500g twice a day. My Diabetic Nurse isn't that helpful and I'm now taking matters in my own hands by joining and using this site, and testing.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are taking metformin and a PPI, you will need to get your Vitamin B12 levels checked regularly - you'll be getting a double whammy of drugs that interfere with absorption of vitamins and minerals, B12 in particular.