Gout

martinbuchan

This weeks complication of my diabetes is Gout.

My right knee inflammed onTuesday there. Ha a needle put into my prepatellar bursa and this showed psuedogout crystals. At the same time, fluid removed from thre right knee joint showed gout crystals. Glad to say the pain has subsided remarkably this morning.

My gout blood test (serum uric acid) was raised. So I will be put on allopurinol tablets. The psuedogout can't be prevented.

Seems gout and diabetes go hand in hand. Thought to be a chromosomal link between gout and syndrome X (I am a fully paid up member of that cult). Gout is brought on by low carb high meat/seafood diets. I have gone fairly low carb recently and have reduced my insulin quite a bit as well. I just can't win.

Glad to say the bone infection in my foot seems to be under control.

Any other gouty's out there?

whitemare

Type of diabetes
LADA
I'm married to one.

So the gout - diabetes connection is second hand.

We have found that taking 1,000mmg daily of glucosamine sulphate, cod liver oil and bromelain extract has lessened his tendency to suffer attacks.

I have heard that eating six sour cherries a day during an attack can hasten the end, also by using tumeric in food: also by taking a tablespoon of cider vinegar mixed with manuka honey every morning can prevent more frequent attacks.

Poor you! From what I see of my hubby it is bl***y painful.
He's refused the allylwhatsits and sticks to indomethecin when attacks are imminent. he says he can tell by a 'tingling' in the joint that an a attack is on the way.

Like diabetes, it can only be staved off. It will get worse with time. And have you seen the diet? B***dy H**l !!!!!!!!!