Paper Driving licence obsolete as from today.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
The paper counterpart that is.
I never heard anything about this happening till today when it happened.
You can now bin the paper part ... at last cos I can never find mine and three times I've forked out twenty quid to get a replacement!

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I thought it was the photo id cards being redundant!! Must check what it said on top of mine when it came back..

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
The servers have crashed .....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ha ha!!! Typical?!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I got it totally wrong!! Goodness knows how I misunderstood that!!

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Yes and if near 70 or 70 be sure to apply for another driving licence I knew nothing of the above by the way :oops:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am keeping hold of the paper part. I travel to Europe quite a bit and not everyone may be up to speed, so to speak

Reactions: 4 people

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes and if near 70 or 70 be sure to apply for another driving licence I knew nothing of the above by the way :oops:

I don't think the over 70s need to do anything, unless they actually want to pay out for a photo license.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think the over 70s need to do anything, unless they actually want to pay out for a photo license.
I think the point is that when you are over 70 you have to renew every 3 years.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
was in the paper yesterday a 70 year old was driving and the police stopped him they impounded his care he sent off for a renewal license and by the time that had come the police had had his car destroyed :mad:

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I forgot about that, probably because I have to renew mine every 3 years anyway!

I've just worked out that I'll have to renew my license when I'm 69. I wonder if some bright spark will decide I have to do it all again when I'm 70!

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never had a photo driving licence, I've still got my old, pink paper one although it's getting a bit tatty now. About eight or nine years ago I thought I'd have to get a photo licence when I got stopped for speeding, but they just wrote the points on the bottom of my licence. Not having a photo licence can cause the odd issue though as I don't have a passport either and I occasionally get asked for a government issued photo ID which I cannot provide. The way people react when you say you don't have a government issued photo ID is very surprising as they seem to think it's mandatory to have one or both.

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never had a photo driving licence, I've still got my old, pink paper one although it's getting a bit tatty now.
Me too. But according to the DVLA website we're OK: tatty pink paper jobs issued before 1998 are still valid, it's just the paper counterpart to credit-card-style licenses that are redundant.

Kate

M

mammamia2006

Thank goodness someone posted this.

I was talking to my mum about it on Sunday and she thought I was away with the fairies lol

IzzieS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Loud noises; disrespectful people; fireworks
Yes, I had to do it this year. Miss my paper licence, though.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Good heavens I find that surprising ..... we haven't had (downunder) paper licences for (I guess) 15 or 20 years. My old old paper one is stuck to a wall in a San Fran pub

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never had a photo driving licence, I've still got my old, pink paper one although it's getting a bit tatty now. About eight or nine years ago I thought I'd have to get a photo licence when I got stopped for speeding, but they just wrote the points on the bottom of my licence. Not having a photo licence can cause the odd issue though as I don't have a passport either and I occasionally get asked for a government issued photo ID which I cannot provide. The way people react when you say you don't have a government issued photo ID is very surprising as they seem to think it's mandatory to have one or both.
Huh! Johnny-come-lately :p. I have a paper green one (predecessor to the pink one), issued in 1978 and still valid for, erm, a few years yet. It's a bit tatty but I'm damned if I'm going to pay the Government a tenner (?) every ten years just for a bit of plastic with my picture on it; it's bad enough that I'll have to do so every three years when I hit the big seven-oh :). More seriously, I know that some friends of mine have exchanged an old license for a plastic one, and found that several categories of vehicle that they were previously entitled to drive have mysteriously disappeared from their new license and that they can't get them back

The only official photo ID I have is my passport; not sure how I'd manage without it, particularly as I love to go abroad now and then. Having said which, I have sailed to France four or five times on friends boats and have never been asked for anything when we got there although I know other friends who have been stopped by les Douaniers and asked for their papers. But I digress .....