How much Lantus should I take?

daisyedge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been diabetic about 15 years now, due to having pancreatitis when I was 21. I've been told that my pancreas will pack up altogether at some point but I'm wondering if it is now. I currently take 60units of Lantus twice a day, 1 metformin at night and an Exenitide injection once a week. My bloods were controlled until last year when I had a mild stroke. They took me off HRT and this seems to have caused a problem with my blood sugar levels. It may not be related to my stroke but it is a coincidence. I was on 40 units a day last year and my sugars were well controlled. Now they are regularly 8-10 and my last HBA1c was 10. My consultant leaves me to increase/decrease Lantus as I feel I need to as I've always worked that way but now I'm worried I'm taking too much Insulin.

All I wanted to ask is how much others take? 120 units just seems too much to me!

sue.wright

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabeties
I've been diabetic about 15 years now, due to having pancreatitis when I was 21. I've been told that my pancreas will pack up altogether at some point but I'm wondering if it is now. I currently take 60units of Lantus twice a day, 1 metformin at night and an Exenitide injection once a week. My bloods were controlled until last year when I had a mild stroke. They took me off HRT and this seems to have caused a problem with my blood sugar levels. It may not be related to my stroke but it is a coincidence. I was on 40 units a day last year and my sugars were well controlled. Now they are regularly 8-10 and my last HBA1c was 10. My consultant leaves me to increase/decrease Lantus as I feel I need to as I've always worked that way but now I'm worried I'm taking too much Insulin.

All I wanted to ask is how much others take? 120 units just seems too much to me!
hi daisyedge
120 units does seem an awful lot itake 15 units a day but also take novorapid with meals i am as baffled with allthis as much as you i have had a real struggle with mine i have still not been told wether i am type 1 or type 2 i have gone to having one metformin a day to this and my blood sugar is all over the place my bg was 18 and they go from 9 up to 27 i am 8 stone wet through and weary as there is no end to it maybe one of the other members can inform you better as there are some great posts and advice hope you ncan get it sorted sue

Croc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sea filth!
I was told as a rough guide you should take up to half your bodyweight in kg. So if you are 80kg you'd take (working up to) 40 units

daisyedge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi daisyedge
120 units does seem an awful lot itake 15 units a day but also take novorapid with meals i am as baffled with allthis as much as you i have had a real struggle with mine i have still not been told wether i am type 1 or type 2 i have gone to having one metformin a day to this and my blood sugar is all over the place my bg was 18 and they go from 9 up to 27 i am 8 stone wet through and weary as there is no end to it maybe one of the other members can inform you better as there are some great posts and advice hope you ncan get it sorted sue
Thanks Sue. It's so confusing! I'm seeing my GP later so maybe she will have more interest than my consultant!

daisyedge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told as a rough guide you should take up to half your bodyweight in kg. So if you are 80kg you'd take (working up to) 40 units

oh dear, that would make me slightly obese, I'm less than 80kg!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@daisyedge, no one can advise you on how much insulin you should take as that needs to be discussed between you and your HCP's, make an appointment to see the consultant and tell them your not happy with the increasing amounts of lantus your having to take and they may start you on a another insulin to take with your meals.

Reactions: 2 people

daisyedge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@daisyedge, no one can advise you on how much insulin you should take as that needs to be discussed between you and your HCP's, make an appointment to see the consultant and tell them your not happy with the increasing amounts of lantus your having to take and they may start you on a another insulin to take with your meals.
Thank you, I will do that.