Just accountability for me.

mid-40's guy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Like a number of folks, I have done a variation on the Newcastle Protocol and had significant success with it. And, like a number of other folks, I fell back into my negative eating patterns. But you haven't lost until you have quit - and I have not yet quit.

Tomorrow is day one of a two-day water fast to start. Then 60 days of VLCD.

Let's get it on.

Reactions: 4 people

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck @mid-40's guy

When I first did the ND it was very successful too but couldn't resist the lure of real foods when I finished it. I did put on a few kilos but then realised my mistake and went straight onto a low carb diet and managed to maintain my weight and my excellent blood sugar results.

Been on my second go at the ND for 7 weeks now and again having reasonable success but this time when I finish I am determined to behave and have a healthy diet.

Go for it :)

Reactions: 2 people

mid-40's guy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I appreciate your support.

Do you mind if I ask if you have had any experience with Intermittent Fasting - either the daily limited window eating version or the 5:2 version, in the context of type 2 diabetes? Or is there a thread where this has already been discussed?

Thanks again,

mid-40's guy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tough day yesterday - it is always tough when I make a concerted effort to change habits. But I lived. Now going for day 2.

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I appreciate your support.

Do you mind if I ask if you have had any experience with Intermittent Fasting - either the daily limited window eating version or the 5:2 version, in the context of type 2 diabetes? Or is there a thread where this has already been discussed?

Thanks again,
Sorry but no experience of that. Only did/doing the Necastle Dietr followed by Low Carb Healthy Diet. Both successful.

mid-40's guy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry but no experience of that. Only did/doing the Necastle Dietr followed by Low Carb Healthy Diet. Both successful.
What is the Low Carb Healthy Diet? The Low Carb part is pretty obvious, but is the 'healthy' part higher fat?

Thanks.

mid-40's guy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Day Three and I am feeling pretty good. Enjoyed the heck out of my veggies this morning.

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What is the Low Carb Healthy Diet? The Low Carb part is pretty obvious, but is the 'healthy' part higher fat?

Thanks.
Sorry if I have misled you. The "healthy" part is just my view. :)

A typical day for me would be:

Two slices Burgen bread toasted for breakfast

Ham and boiled egg salad for lunch

Chicken breast with salad for dinner.

All in all just under 50g carbs.

I don't do the "high fat" bit. Just my own "healthy" low carb diet.

mid-40's guy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry if I have misled you. The "healthy" part is just my view. :)

A typical day for me would be:

Two slices Burgen bread toasted for breakfast

Ham and boiled egg salad for lunch

Chicken breast with salad for dinner.

All in all just under 50g carbs.

I don't do the "high fat" bit. Just my own "healthy" low carb diet.

Thanks for the additional information.

mid-40's guy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Day four. Had a bit of a rough go yesterday afternoon. I made a bad decision. However, I got back on the horse and finished the day strong. Looking to do better today.

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Someone who knows it all.
I am trying intermittent fasting. I started with 5:2 but it didn't really suit me so now I am fasting all day and only eating once in the early evening. I have been doing it for 10 days now and have lost 7lbs.
Surprisingly I have not had any issues with hunger, feeling faint or getting the shakes. in fact the opposite is true - I have had loads of energy and have been able to concentrate much better at work. In a bizarre kind of way I feel better not having to think about food the whole time and what I can or cannot eat. In the evening I have been sticking to mainly low carb but a big generous portion! I have not had any problems sleeping either. During the day I have been drink loads of sparkling water and green tea but nothing else.

I am not sure how long to do it or what effect it will have.... but I thought I would keep going for 6 weeks and see what happens. I have googled it quite a lot and the opinions (on google) is that it helps with insulin resistance but if it helps me shift 20 lbs then hopefully it would have the same effect.

I would really love this to work as so far I have found it really easy!

Reactions: 2 people

mid-40's guy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am trying intermittent fasting. I started with 5:2 but it didn't really suit me so now I am fasting all day and only eating once in the early evening. I have been doing it for 10 days now and have lost 7lbs.
Surprisingly I have not had any issues with hunger, feeling faint or getting the shakes. in fact the opposite is true - I have had loads of energy and have been able to concentrate much better at work. In a bizarre kind of way I feel better not having to think about food the whole time and what I can or cannot eat. In the evening I have been sticking to mainly low carb but a big generous portion! I have not had any problems sleeping either. During the day I have been drink loads of sparkling water and green tea but nothing else.

I am not sure how long to do it or what effect it will have.... but I thought I would keep going for 6 weeks and see what happens. I have googled it quite a lot and the opinions (on google) is that it helps with insulin resistance but if it helps me shift 20 lbs then hopefully it would have the same effect.

I would really love this to work as so far I have found it really easy!
I appreciate the information. Please keep us in the loop about how it goes for you.

mid-40's guy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Day five. Numbers are going the right direction. Thanks to those who have replied for your support.

tmeme

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
flying
because i am musulm i must fasting 30 dayes in amonth called ramadan in fact that give me good health .

mid-40's guy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
because i am musulm i must fasting 30 dayes in amonth called ramadan in fact that give me good health .
Has anyone looked at heart disease, diabetes, etc. numbers in the muslim world? I am thinking of a study that I read about that shows that American Mormons that fast at least one day per month have significantly lower rates of heart disease.

mid-40's guy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another solid day yesterday. I wish that I could bottle this. It is so difficult to start, but not difficult at all to maintain with the right mindset. I am anxious about the end/refeed though. That is where I made my mistake last time and I did not catch it in time like Scottish-Jim.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Has anyone looked at heart disease, diabetes, etc. numbers in the muslim world? I am thinking of a study that I read about that shows that American Mormons that fast at least one day per month have significantly lower rates of heart disease.
I don't think the Muslim world has lower rates of heart disease but that's probably because the diet is very, very carb heavy when people are not fasting. And people live in cities nowadays. Carb heavy diets are typical of rural communities where they work in the fields all day and so they work it all off again. But given the population boom and urbanization in the Muslim world in the last fifty years or so, the diet is pretty disastrous now. I live in Turkey. The average family diet is pretty well "Death to Diabetics". I've got my own Turkish friends pretty well trained, though!

Having said that, the 5:2 diet very definitely is an Islamic convention. They've been doing that for 1400+ years. And I have seen research that says that fasting improves the body's own ability to control blood sugars without medication (but I saw it years ago and can't remember where now).