labeling for diabetic cakes

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am after some advise and this seems the best place to ask.

I have volunteered to make some cakes for a local fete and intend to do some of my normal rock buns for them. They are made using ground almond instead of flour and Splenda (may not be the best sweetener but I find it gives a good taste) instead of sugar, dried fruit can't be replaced so just has to be taken into account. Now I feel the almond should be mentioned in case of allegies so I was thinking of labelling them as 'Sugar Free Almond Rock Buns, Suitable for Diabetics', do people here think this is off putting, or untrue as fruit contains sugar, or can you suggest better wording. I know there is a dislike of things being labelled as 'diabetic X'.

Partly I want it obvious that cakes can be made that us diabetics can enjoy but I also don't want to put non diabetics off trying them.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like your style!

How about 'almond and raisin rock buns - sugar free, and suitable for diabetics'
Virtually the same, but with a slightly different emphasis.

Do we get the recipe? :hungry:

I would probably switch the raisins for dried cranberries, cos they have a bit less sugar, but I REALLY like the sound of them...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
New Recipe Rock Cakes (but no rocks were harmed in this recipe) contains Almond flour :D

Reactions: 2 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would be wary of making such a claim because although such claims are permitted there are regulations that say you then have to comply with other labelling regulations (it's the same with low sugar ; they cannot be sugar free with dried fruit in them)
p 15 : http://www.food.gov.uk/sites/default/files/multimedia/pdfs/nutlabel2.pdf
I know it's just a fete but I've got some memories of the WI getting into trouble about labelling in the past.
I like RR suggestion ; add the splenda after the almond flour.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's interesting to know.

How about 'no added sugar'.
That should cover you.

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I might go with Almond Rock Buns, no added sugar, hopefully that will be enough for diabetics to ask if suitable and not off putting for non diabetics, and won't get anyone in trouble. Glad I asked.

The recipy is

Rock buns
Makes 12

2 ¾ cups ground almonds
¼ tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
¾ cup Splenda
2 tsp mixed spice
2 tsp ginger
¾ cup butter
¾ cup dried fruit
2 large eggs

Gas mark 5

mix dry ingredients, rub in butter, add fruit, stir in eggs .
Spoon onto greased baking try,
cook 15 - 20 mins centre of oven.

Of cause, the Splenda and spices might need to be adjusted to taste, but this is just a starting point.

For anyone used to making normal rock buns the mixture is a bit wetter but still spoons out and holds it shape in cooking, the extra egg seems to help bind everything and stops it being too friable. The keep for several days wrapped in clingfilm and stored in an airtight container and also freeze well, after all while they may be diabetic friendly eating all twelve in one go still wouldn't be good for us.

Spinning-Fish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Liking the look of these, will be making a batch next baking day. Thanks for posting.

mogzilian

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I might go with Almond Rock Buns, no added sugar, hopefully that will be enough for diabetics to ask if suitable and not off putting for non diabetics, and won't get anyone in trouble. Glad I asked.

The recipy is

Rock buns
Makes 12

2 ¾ cups ground almonds
¼ tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
¾ cup Splenda
2 tsp mixed spice
2 tsp ginger
¾ cup butter
¾ cup dried fruit
2 large eggs

Gas mark 5

mix dry ingredients, rub in butter, add fruit, stir in eggs .
Spoon onto greased baking try,
cook 15 - 20 mins centre of oven.

Of cause, the Splenda and spices might need to be adjusted to taste, but this is just a starting point.

For anyone used to making normal rock buns the mixture is a bit wetter but still spoons out and holds it shape in cooking, the extra egg seems to help bind everything and stops it being too friable. The keep for several days wrapped in clingfilm and stored in an airtight container and also freeze well, after all while they may be diabetic friendly eating all twelve in one go still wouldn't be good for us.

I hear erythritol is very good instead of slpenda. I think Splenda is reported to actually harm the bacteria in your tum, making you gain weight - I think thtas what I read..

Found it : http://www.cruisecontroldiet.com/why-splenda-leads-to-weight-gain-even-though-its-calorie-free

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the recipe!

I use erythritol. And while I think it is great, it has two little disadvantages - it is absurdly expensive, and it isn't as sweet as sugar, so you have to tweak quantities in every recipe.

But it is my favourite sweetener.

Can't wait to try that recipe. Esp like the ginger in it. :)

Reactions: 2 people

mogzilian

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the recipe!

I use erythritol. And while I think it is great, it has two little disadvantages - it is absurdly expensive, and it isn't as sweet as sugar, so you have to tweak quantities in every recipe.

But it is my favourite sweetener.

Can't wait to try that recipe. Esp like the ginger in it. :)

It is a bit pricey still, you're right. I'm sure the price will come down in time though..? Hopefully!

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Where do you get the erythritol from, I normally just get what I can from the local supermarket which limits what is available.

I also tend to use different sweeteners for different things to try and limit the problems, it seems that each one has its own pros and cons.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy it from Amazon. But be prepared for a price-shock.
I justify it because I usually only use a teasp a day, in my one coffee. :)