Beconase

Jo123

I have been recommended by my GP to use Beconase nasal spray for my blocked eustachian tubes, I am a bit nervous because it is a steroid.
I am pre diabetic but don't want to use anything that potentially increases my blood sugar.
Any feedback on this medication welcome, my GP says it should be fine, but then my control of my BG is that of a non diabetic through very strict diet.

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can't advise on the Beconase, but I suffer blocked Synuses and Eustachian tubes quite a bit and just use the old remedy of a bowl of very hot water (not boiling, you don't want to scald yourself) and a towel over the head and breath deeply through nose and mouth for a few minutes. A couple of drops of Eucalyptus oil (you can buy it in bottles from the likes of Holland & Barrett) added to the water can also help.

Basic ear drops can also help prevent the wax hardening around the ear drum which while it doesn't help clear the Eustachian tube does help the drum remain more flexible and so allow the air inside the ear to settle easier.

Jo123

Thank you will try this today, it is driving me up the wall!
The pharmacist mentioned sudafed or similar, have you tried this or do you find the steam works?
Never had this before other than with a cold and my sympathies are with you if you suffer from this a lot.

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to take Beconase daily until my GP changed me to one they decided was better (i.e. probably cheaper, but I find it better as it happens) and whilst it's also a steroid spray, I'm not aware that it has had any impact on BG or any other steroid based complications, as it's a very small dose. The only thing I'm aware of is that I feel better nasally when I use it than when I don't. You need to use them faithfully for a little while to get full benefit, they don't give immediate relief.

My condition is slightly different in that I have a hiatus hernia and consequently inhale acid from my stomach which irritates my sinuses.

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do tend to use either Sudafed or Beechems Flu plus when I get a cold in conjuction with steam treatment but they advise that you don't take the decongestents for more than a week and often if can take longer to really clear the synuses out so I try and only take the tablets if I really need to.

I think I did try a nasal spray once, but not sure which it was and it did nothing to help and I disliked using it.

IzzieS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Loud noises; disrespectful people; fireworks
I've been on Beconaise for some years now for perennial allergic rhinitis, it doesn't seem to affect my blood sugars. Hope you feel better soon.

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lying on a beach all day, arrogant/rude/superficial people, not being able to get necessary help from health professionals
I've used Beconase for last two years and I've not noticed a rise in BG readings. Really good and clears quickly

Croc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sea filth!
I've just bought some Because today for hayfever, nose has been dripping since April. Recommended by my pharmacy who know I'm diabetic so hope it doesn't affect my BS levels.

Jo123

Thank you Izzies, Gillyhill and Croc, for your feedback, I really appreciate your reassurance. However I have been steaming all afternoon with Olbas Oil and I think it is a teeny bit better! I am going to persist with this for a couple of days intensively! Mine isn't in my nose at all I can breathe perfectly, just the eustachian tube.

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to know this as I've used for years for hayfever but only just diagnosed diabetic. Thanks all

Reactions: 2 people