Slimming world vs Hypos!

ldpxxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been attending slimming world for a couple of months now, and though it's going slowly, I have been losing weight successfully.

However the past 2 weeks I have gained weight and think it's down to how I'm treating my hypos.

Is there anyone else out there who is doing slimming world that can suggest what I can use to treat my hypos that isn't too high in syns?!!!!

Need to get back on track....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Don't worry about the syns, if you go hypo its important to treat it fast with quick-acting glucose, you should maybe look at your insulin doses because if you've lost weight then its likely that your insulin requirements would have reduced.

Reactions: 2 people

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been attending slimming world for a couple of months now, and though it's going slowly, I have been losing weight successfully.

However the past 2 weeks I have gained weight and think it's down to how I'm treating my hypos.

Is there anyone else out there who is doing slimming world that can suggest what I can use to treat my hypos that isn't too high in syns?!!!!

How many hypos have you had in just two weeks as you 'think' they are the root cause of your weight gain?
And what kind of weight gain are you talking about?

ldpxxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had one almost every day, if not 2.

Haven't changed my insulin since starting either so perhaps I should look into reducing it too

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I have had one almost every day, if not 2.

Haven't changed my insulin since starting either so perhaps I should look into reducing it too

Losing weight can reduce insulin resistance, 1 or 2 hypo's a day is a lot so do reduce your insulin, if your unsure about anything ask for your DSN's input.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It sounds like your insulin regime needs a serious review with the DN. I'm on Basal/Bolus and haven't had a hypo in 2 years since starting insulin and that's with a low HBa1C of 6%; they should be fairly rare if the insulin is balanced correctly. What regime are you on i.e. Basal/Bolus, mixed twice a day of just Basal once or twice a day? Are you carb-counting if on Basal/Bolus? BTW although there are good aspects of all of the branded slimming products be aware that some of them are quite high in carbs which is not good for us as T1s or T2s. Having a low-carb diet is probably the best way to lose both weight and reduce blood sugar. Let us know more about your insulin but also do contact your DN.

ldpxxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It sounds like your insulin regime needs a serious review with the DN. I'm on Basal/Bolus and haven't had a hypo in 2 years since starting insulin and that's with a low HBa1C of 6%; they should be fairly rare if the insulin is balanced correctly. What regime are you on i.e. Basal/Bolus, mixed twice a day of just Basal once or twice a day? Are you carb-counting if on Basal/Bolus? BTW although there are good aspects of all of the branded slimming products be aware that some of them are quite high in carbs which is not good for us as T1s or T2s. Having a low-carb diet is probably the best way to lose both weight and reduce blood sugar. Let us know more about your insulin but also do contact your DN.

I am using lantus and novorapid. I do carb-counting also and just inject as I eat.
I'm going to try reduce the insulin from tomorrow and hope that works!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I am using lantus and novorapid. I do carb-counting also and just inject as I eat.
I'm going to try reduce the insulin from tomorrow and hope that works!

Start with some basal checks first then look at your I:C ratio's.

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When do you experience hypos most? If its between meals (i.e. you can't bring a meal forward once treating the hypo) I would recommend sustaining your blood sugar with a snack like dried apricots. Its easy to only eat a few, to get the ~10g of carb you need, without any fat. They're also a great source of fibre, and are released slowly to sustain your blood sugar. Hope this helps! :)

ldpxxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The majority of the hypos are during the afternoon/evenings or during the night

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're finding they occur 2-3 hours after your lunch/dinner you probably need to adjustyour carb ratio for these meals. I'd speak to your nurse about adjusting your basal insulin if you're suffering at night, for now, always make sure you're blood sugar is around 7-8 before bed and maybe have a small, healthy snack before heading to bed.

ldpxxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all the advice everyone, have reduced my insulin so fingers crossed that helps. Just still need to look into some alternative treatments for my hypos when I do have them

Waspy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am almost certain an extra 15g of sugar a day is not causing you to gain weight. I really wouldn't be concerned about that, just treat it as fast as possible, and as discussed above, suss out why its happened!

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Iv been doing slimming world since January and have lost 2 stone on it. I am T1. I have been able to reduce my insulin doses by half of what I was on. I use lucozade sweets for a hypo as they are 0.6syns for 1. I sometimes would be ok using a banana and a couple of digestive biscuits(not too high in syns)

rogbert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
winter

Hi,
i have been attending slimming world (12 weeks paid for by hospital trust) for 8 weeks now and have lost 13.5 lbs I have noticed that my readings have lowered somewhat from 10-12 to 3-6 so i upped my carbs i find ginger biscuits work quite well .if you abide by the rules you should be losing weight or your other syns needs scrutinizing more closely.

ldpxxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Perhaps I need to have more carbs in my meals too then x do you mean ginger biscuits work for your hypos?

susiewoosie73

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Hi
I joined SW two weeks ago, had one hypo and resorted to a 150 ml can of coke makes a change from the gorging till I think my b&m has increased! Packet of biscuits later Good luck with your weight loss journey and hopefully the hypos settle