dental work and byetta

Vivienne

Whilst I've been on insulin, my dentist has always given me a different anaesthetic (sp?) to the 'normal' one. Would the fact that I am on 'Byetta' make a difference do you think?
Vivienne

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Vivienne,

Being on Byetta shouldn't make any difference, but not sure about whether being on insulin would have needed something different.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Vivienne.

Dennis is spot on here. I too could find no reason for any special treatment when on Byetta and undergoing Dental work. However the information below applies if you are on any medication which might have a Hypoglycaemic effect or are prone to Hypo's.

Here is some information about Dentistry which specifically mentions Insulin users which is more related to the risk of infections in Diabetic Patients . Take a look.
http://www.dentistry.com/articles/Diabe ... tions.aspx

Here is a small extract (pardon the pun :D )
If you have a dental infection, and require either a root canal or need to have a tooth removed, there are some important things for you to remember. Make sure you eat your normal breakfast before you go to the dentist. If you are taking insulin, take your normal dosage unless your dentist and physician have agreed to alter the dosage. If you have not eaten and are in pain, or feel a high degree of stress prior to a dental procedure, this can cause your blood sugar to drop. By eating and taking the proper amount of insulin, you reduce the potentially dangerous complication of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).

Either way you should notify your Dentist of any medications and take advice from them.

Hope that helps.

Ken.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I see the dentist regularly and he has listed my medication on my notes. I need a kind of local anaestheic without adreniline added, because I go "Shocky" if I have it. I've not needed anything more than a filling for 50 years.

Vivienne

Thank you all for your assistance. My dentist has a record of my medication, and I know that the anaesthetic that he gives me lasts a shorter time than the 'normal' one. I shall tell him about the Byetta anyway.

Thanks again, what a helpful bunch you all are!

Vivienne