Missing a meal?

shelts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a tolerance for Shredded Wheat (aldi version) which doesn't really cause me to spike, so I have these for brekkie. I am finding raised BG levels in afternoon if my miss lunch. Is this normal? Are my readings going to be elevated if I miss a meal?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'll 'bump' your post up the forum in the hope that other type 2's might have some suggestions.

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I personally find that my BG gradually gets higher the longer I go without food. I think my body panics if I've not eaten for a while, fearing that I might somehow starve to death, so my liver pumps out more glucose to keep me fueled up.

I think this is one of those phenomena that varies very much with individuals, others might well drop BG without eating and some who intermittently fast seem to be quite stable on it. But it sounds like you might be like me in this regard.

I was always advised that steady pacing of eating - and not missing meals - was better for more consistent and stable BGs and have personally found that to be true, for me. I simply feel rough if I go hungry for long.

Plus, if you have a breakfast that's predominantly carb, it can cause a pretty quick release of energy that is soon depleted and leaving you hungry sooner than if you'd had a slow release breakfast like bacon and eggs. Although shredded wheat would be better than white bread toast or cornflakes, as such, as it takes a bit longer to digest.

I've always felt that carbs based meals provide quite transient and short-lived energy, After a richer, more fat-loaded 'cooked' breakfast you might find that your BG didn't rise as much without lunch, as your body would have a steadier stream of slowly processed resources available from breakfast - it would keep you going for longer.

Reactions: 6 people

shelts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I personally find that my BG gradually gets higher the longer I go without food. I think my body panics if I've not eaten for a while, fearing that I might somehow starve to death, so my liver pumps out more glucose to keep me fueled up.

I think this is one of those phenomena that varies very much with individuals, others might well drop BG without eating and some who intermittently fast seem to be quite stable on it. But it sounds like you might be like me in this regard.

I was always advised that steady pacing of eating - and not missing meals - was better for more consistent and stable BGs and have personally found that to be true, for me. I simply feel rough if I go hungry for long.

Plus, if you have a breakfast that's predominantly carb, it can cause a pretty quick release of energy that is soon depleted and leaving you hungry sooner than if you'd had a slow release breakfast like bacon and eggs. Although shredded wheat would be better than white bread toast or cornflakes, as such, as it takes a bit longer to digest.

I've always felt that carbs based meals provide quite transient and short-lived energy, After a richer, more fat-loaded 'cooked' breakfast you might find that your BG didn't rise as much without lunch, as your body would have a steadier stream of slowly processed resources available from breakfast - it would keep you going for longer.
Thank you. I think you've probably nailed it. It's certainly a learning curve. :)

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I used to have the same problem. Apparently if you go for a long stretch with nothing to eat your body goes into survival mode and you will get a liver dump. I fixed this by eating a handful of peanuts or a slice of cheese and it seems to keep my BS steady throughout the day.

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lying on a beach all day, arrogant/rude/superficial people, not being able to get necessary help from health professionals
I rarely have breakfast last few months. I start work at 7am so it's an early start. I used to eat sachet porridge at work which didn't affect my BG as it does a lot of people. I usually have a piece of fruit around 9am. Any advice what I could have. Cooked breakfast is a treat for me when on leave/holiday so not that.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a tolerance for Shredded Wheat (aldi version) which doesn't really cause me to spike, so I have these for brekkie. I am finding raised BG levels in afternoon if my miss lunch. Is this normal? Are my readings going to be elevated if I miss a meal?
If your are hungry adrenalin tends to rise and BG too. I eat when I'm hungry but as I do the LCHF way of eating and living with diabetes I don't get hungry very often. You could try a cooked brekkie or if time is short boiled eggs, either on their own or with mayonnaise or butter and salt and see if it improves your afternoon readings.

Actually I rarely eat anything before noon. This suits me but may not be for everybody.

Dave Brierley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I rarely have breakfast last few months. I start work at 7am so it's an early start. I used to eat sachet porridge at work which didn't affect my BG as it does a lot of people. I usually have a piece of fruit around 9am. Any advice what I could have. Cooked breakfast is a treat for me when on leave/holiday so not that.

For breakfast I have 100g Greek yogurt but I have to sweeten it with sugar free vimto and a couple of boiled eggs. I know what you mean about early starts, I start at 0300 sometimes and its difficult to sort food then, I drive for about 3-4 hours so what I have after about 2 hours is cooked chicken or ham, sometimes cheese.

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lying on a beach all day, arrogant/rude/superficial people, not being able to get necessary help from health professionals
I love chicken, ham and cheese. It's really nice in a mixed salad. A small piece of each amongst dish/plate of salad. I'm not too keen on Greek yoghurt though.
At work it's usually fruit and yoghurt during the day or sometimes porridge or weight watchers soup.

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love chicken, ham and cheese. It's really nice in a mixed salad. A small piece of each amongst dish/plate of salad. I'm not too keen on Greek yoghurt though.
At work it's usually fruit and yoghurt during the day or sometimes porridge or weight watchers soup.
Might be worth switching your normal fruit for berries. I usually have berries with Greek yogurt as read somewhere it slows the release of the sugar. Do you like natural yogurt as you don't like the Greek style ones? Could try a handful of nuts as an alternative. Continental style breakfast of cold meats and cheese might work for you too, could keep it cool and have this at work instead. If you like avocado this could also be worth a try. Time first thing on a morning is not on my side so I often have crisp reads and cream cheese but need to vary this a bit myself!,

Kjosh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I found today after eating 3 crumpets for breakfast my blood sugar level was 14.3 before lunch so had a salad for lunch and tea it had come down by teatime. Not understanding high very well.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
I found today after eating 3 crumpets for breakfast my blood sugar level was 14.3 before lunch so had a salad for lunch and tea it had come down by teatime. Not understanding high very well.
Hi kjosh,have you received the info from @daisy1 for new posters yet?

Lehcar2991

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A list of low to GI breakfast cereals going for low GI really helps if you miss lunch

Attachments

• 1434203933647.jpg
    1434203933647.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 197