Sooo annoyed!

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
So I was diagnosed type 1 almost 4 weeks ago. Went back to work today and the first thing my manager says to me 'is it going to sort itself out and get cured then????' (She is a nurse and a manager!!!) I replied...'no its type 1 insulin for life.' So she then says 'oh (names another colleague) had type 1 after she had a baby but it was cured after 6 months of insulin.' Me...'thats not type 1 diabetes'....manager....'yes it is!!!' Argh!!! So annoying. Ive also had comments from others today about watching what I eat and about doing my bg/insulin infront of people..and my manager also implied that I shouldn't be doing my bg 12 times a day that i should eventually only need to do it once a day! I am on basal/bolus regime!!! Can't stand it when people think they know about it but they ACTUALLY don't!
Sounds like a full house on the diabetic bingo game there !!!!

Attachments

• 1433804522567.jpg
    1433804522567.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 724
Reactions: 8 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I am sure you will soon be re-educating them :)

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Max Ehrmann, writer and lawyer (1872-1945)

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste and rememeber what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly. And listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, for they too have their story.Avoid loud and aggresive persons, for they are vexatious to the spirit.
Good advice from Max I think ☺

Reactions: 12 people

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Its great ain't it
Type 1 is that the good one or bad one !!
It's only diabetes!!
And me being type 2 the classic one has to be keep taking the tables it will be gone in a few months!!!!
:mad::mad::mad:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Smile, nod and go on your way.
Yesterday I had "but it contains natural cane sugar so it will be lower in carbs" - what!

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Why don't you get some leaflets from the hospital, and place them on the staff room table.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
the world is full of idiots ( or well meaning people if you are being kind)
I just smile and nod -- or in the case of a boss try to educate.

nice that we have this forum to unload with like minded ( and same condition) people

Reactions: 2 people

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I first went into hospital the night of my type 1 diagnosis (three months ago) a nurse asked me if I'd always just eaten a lot of sweet things. A NURSE!! Its frustrating, but you get used to it. I also find it frustrating when people try and offer me dietary advice to control my blood sugar. Like how turmeric and cinnamon will regulate my blood sugar? I think for now I'll stick to insulin thanks... Just try and to remember as annoying as it is, people are usually just saying these things to try and help you. You're the expert, and with regards to testing, I think it's always better to test too much than too little!

Reactions: 6 people

Pinkjessi21_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for your replies. Guess i'll just have to get used to it. She definately wasn't being nice though :-( Told my practice nurse today, she was appauled. I would expect this kind of ignorance if I worked in an office or supermarket etc, NOT from other nurses! Moan over! ;-) xx

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow. I am at a loss for words.

Good job on keeping your cool. I hope they aren't responsible for doing diabetes education!

Pinkjessi21_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
="becky.ford93, post: 873229, member: 188162"]When I first went into hospital the night of my type 1 diagnosis (three months ago) a nurse asked me if I'd always just eaten a lot of sweet things. A NURSE!! Its frustrating, but you get used to it. I also find it frustrating when people try and offer me dietary advice to control my blood sugar. Like how turmeric and cinnamon will regulate my blood sugar? I think for now I'll stick to insulin thanks... Just try and to remember as annoying as it is, people are usually just saying these things to try and help you. You're the expert, and with regards to testing, I think it's always better to test too much than too little![/QUOTE]

Thats terrible! I am also a nurse and openly admit that I am not an expert, but I knew it was autoimmune, that it doesn't 'get better' and that it would mean insulin for life.

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, I couldn't believe it! Fortunately I'm a clothes size 6-8 so when she asked if I had a bad diet I just sort of looked at her like, seriously? :p

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So when I shared with my colleagues why I was off from school for two weeks a PE teacher said to me, "so what's wrong with you? You don't have enough glucose in your body? Then just have a few sweets everyday".

Me: "Oh right, I never thought of that", and smiled :headphone::happy:

Liso66

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes - Boredom - Lima Beans - Brussell Spouts - Dogs stuffed in shoulder-bags (Dogs are not an accessory) Shopping. (Yeah, I know. Broken female gene)
So I was diagnosed type 1 almost 4 weeks ago. Went back to work today and the first thing my manager says to me 'is it going to sort itself out and get cured then????' (She is a nurse and a manager!!!) I replied...'no its type 1 insulin for life.' So she then says 'oh (names another colleague) had type 1 after she had a baby but it was cured after 6 months of insulin.' Me...'thats not type 1 diabetes'....manager....'yes it is!!!' Argh!!! So annoying. Ive also had comments from others today about watching what I eat and about doing my bg/insulin infront of people..and my manager also implied that I shouldn't be doing my bg 12 times a day that i should eventually only need to do it once a day! I am on basal/bolus regime!!! Can't stand it when people think they know about it but they ACTUALLY don't!

I have been T2, diagnosed, for nearly three years. I have heard some of the most inane comments, advice and "you need to dos" I've learned to let it fall on deaf ears. Smile and nod... I have it down to a science! It really doesn't do you any good, stress wise, to argue with them. No one can know what "you" are going through, aside from another diabetic, and even their methods may not be exact to your own.

Do what is best for you... What promotes your best health and happiness. :)

amazinmo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When

amazinmo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When i was diagnosed type 2 my sister said you' ll have to stop eating sugar.considering i never took sugar or sweet stuff and she does, couldnt figure her logic in that one and as mum and dad were both type 2 for 25 years she really must really have paid attention to their health..by the way she still takes sugar..maybe my doctor who said it was inherited genes should have a wee word in her ear

spikyonyx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupided bloody sensationalist news headlines about a cure for diabetes when they mean another possible treatment method for type 2 management.
Idiots asking if I'm watching what I eat... 'Why, no. Whatever for? I'm intentionally poisoning myself with every mouthful I consume!"
Ugh, how about printing out some stupid comments/ examples of professional ignorance/ what not to say to a diabetic... and sticking them to the back of the toilet cubicle doors where they'll be read :)
Maybe an idiots guide...
" type 1 diabetes is a autoimmune condition and can't be cured. It is not due to diet (eating too much sugar) and will not go away with weight loss!"
Please educate yourself before you bore the **** out of me with you ignorance!
Have a nice day :)

jgibson1962

Am i the only Type1 Diabetic who hasn't had any kind of negative reaction? I was diagnosed at the age of 49 thats 4 years ago. I have it under control, I read loads and asked loads of questions so I have an in-depth knowledge of my condition. I gave all my work colleagues the low down on my condition and where to find my Coca Cola should I start showing signs of Hypo. My boss lets me work from home if i'm not feeling too good. In fact life is pretty much the same for me as it was before the condition hit. My big suggestion to all is, live your life as you did before the diagnosis, manage it, ignore ignorant comments, don't become a Diabetic militant.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Am i the only Type1 Diabetic who hasn't had any kind of negative reaction? I was diagnosed at the age of 49 thats 4 years ago. I have it under control, I read loads and asked loads of questions so I have an in-depth knowledge of my condition. I gave all my work colleagues the low down on my condition and where to find my Coca Cola should I start showing signs of Hypo. My boss lets me work from home if i'm not feeling too good. In fact life is pretty much the same for me as it was before the condition hit. My big suggestion to all is, live your life as you did before the diagnosis, manage it, ignore ignorant comments, don't become a Diabetic militant.

Easy to say if you can have it under control. Also if you had a life before diabetes, or can remember it. sounds very much like your in honeymoon period still!