New in Town ...

Diabetichick

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys and gals My names Melissa and I kinda just stumbled upon this site. I might actually be the only person here not from the uk. Hopefully that's okay :x. I'm just here to learn and make friends and talk about daily life (diabetes related and non diabetes related). A little bit about me im from the US living in Illinois but grew up in California. I have been a type one diabetic since I was seven and im now 22 which i guess that means ive had this **** thing for 15 almost 16 years :x Im a college student wanting to be a teacher. um I dont know really what else to put lol. If theres anything anyone wants to know just send me a message. really excited to meet some awesome people! ^_^

Thanks for reading

Sincerely Melissa :)

Reactions: 2 people
M

mammamia2006

Hiya Melissa, there are other people from USA, Australia, all over the world on this site.

The site (and people) are an absolute godsend.

I have been type 1 for 25yrs, since I was 3.

Reactions: 2 people

Diabetichick

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good to know ! and wow 25 years that's amazing do you have any complications or are you fairly healthy ?

tontosis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Melissa and others on this site, my name's Kim - male! - living in the UK's second city of Birmingham and have type 2 which I've had for the last three years or so. Just discovered this chat room so am feeling my way around it.
I was looking for medical advice on whether or not taking cocodomol tablets for arthritis in my knee can negate the Metformin anti-diabetes tablets I take. I read some time ago that i should NOT take cocodomol so was prescribed Solpodol. Yet now my pharmacist has told me Solpodol has the same ingredients as cocodomol! He said there are no negative eliments for me in Cocodomol!
Any advice anybody?

Reactions: 3 people

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hello Melissa, welcome to the forum :D

Welcome kim , there's no problem taking co codamol with metformin. I take co codamol when I get a migraine, my bg levels can go quite high but it is the stress/pain of the migraine not the co codamol that causes the increase

Reactions: 3 people

JontyW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance & Arrogance.
Hello Melissa,

Welcome to the club and I hope you will gain both new friends and more diabetes info from this excellent site.

I see you have been T1 for 16 years and I hope that you have managed to keep good control and so no complications. In my experience it is all down to becoming knowledgeable about all aspects of diabetes, and in particular by doing carb counting & bolus dose adjustment., plus recording and reviewing in detail.

In the UK many areas of the NHS (National Health Service) offer a structured education course called DAFNE, which stands for Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating, and is normally a 5 day 'classroom' course with other attendees. The main emphasis is on how to count carbs, work out the insulin-to-carb ratio for each meal, and inject the correct amount of fast acting bolus to cover the meal carbs. Most T1s who have been on these courses say they were 'life changing', since they learnt so much that they were not aware of even being a T1 for 10 or 20 years. Do they run structured education course like this in US and if so have you been on one? Also do you carb count & bolus adjust?

I was dx with T1 46 years ago and so have a lot of experience and started on one Lente injection/day and now on MDI regime with no background basal (due to another immune disease affecting blood sugar) but just three Humalog, one for each meal. My control has been good with HbA1c no higher than about 7.5%, and now down to 6.5% after starting tighter control two years ago. I have no complications for which I am grateful.

Best wishes .. Jonty

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys! and I have never taken codamol what is it used for ?
Hi Melissa. Co-codamol is a combination of paracetamol (Acetominophen in USA) and codeine which is not licensed in the USA as it's a narcotic. It's over-the-counter here and many of us use it as the next level up from aspirin/paracetamol etc