Letter for airport security

colsan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wondering if anyone has used a handwritten letter detailing what meds they need to carry with them for airport security?

Today my lovely GP insisted she just write me a letter so I didn't have to pay for a typewritten one. I explained that I wasn't sure whether this would suffice but she assured me it would be ok.

Anyone had any experience of this?

Thanks

Croc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sea filth!
I work in a GP surgery and have typed loads of letters for patients. I would assume that as long as its on headed paper it should be ok.

Reactions: 2 people

colsan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, thanks for the reply. It is on headed paper, although I think I could've knocked the headed paper up myself. I just thought it would have to be typed and not handwritten.

Croc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sea filth!
Has it got the Doctor's stamp on it?

Our surgery paper looks like something anyone could knock up, but lets face it, if your were going to do that youd type the letter as well, not hand write it.

If you have a repeat slip with all your meds on with it thatll help.

Reactions: 4 people

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I asked my GP yesterday if I needed a letter for airport security...he was adamant I didn't need one. Maybe depends on the airline? Still don't fancy chancing it haha :nailbiting:

Reactions: 6 people

Waspy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
People are very understanding of diabetes. A huge number of diabetics pass through airports every day. All I do is make sure my pens and testing meter are out of my bag (so loose in the tray) so it is clear that it isn't something I want to hide (as they always look odd on an xray).

The first time I flew with diabetes I took a letter. But I haven't since then and never had an issue. I have flown all over Europe and the States without one. Maybe I am just lucky?

Reactions: 5 people

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Waspy I just looked up flybe as an example and they say:

"Epi-pens may be carried and utilised on Flybe services and the user is not required to provide any medical certification for this. You can carry this with you in your cabin bag or within the hold of the aircraft.

If you require additional insulin, however, we would suggest that a doctor’s letter or repeat prescription is carried for verification of the substance and dosage".

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've travelled through airports throughout the world many times and never once been asked for any letter or other documentation relating to my insulin and other diabetes-related items. I carry my repeat prescription just in case but think a GP letter is unnecessary.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just wondering if anyone has used a handwritten letter detailing what meds they need to carry with them for airport security?

Today my lovely GP insisted she just write me a letter so I didn't have to pay for a typewritten one. I explained that I wasn't sure whether this would suffice but she assured me it would be ok.

Thanks

That's really good a some gp surgeries do charge for a letter, if anyone finds this to be the case then just ask your DSN/Consultant (if under a hospital diabetes team) to do a letter as often enough they won't charge.

btw, its unlikely you'll get asked to produce the letter but its worth taking all the same.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got a letter from the doctor the first few times I flew after diagnosis...but to be honest I'm a bit lapse with it these days...just pop pens in the see through bag and never had a problem. I'm sure customs see this everyday and probably recognise every kind of pen available...can understand your concern but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was asked once about thirty years ago, but I was carrying a ton old style plastic syringes, the ones that diabetics used to have to pay for until someone worked out that some T1s were funding their purchase by flogging some off to heroin addicts, and the magic pens were introduced! Never since then have I been asked to prove anything about my diabetes. Recently, I walked through for the first time with my pump on. I showed it to them first and then they waved me through. I actually suspect that they are not allowed to make a fuss about your medications etc now, at least in Europe. I suspect it would fall under anti-discrimination laws. I wouldn't mind betting that the law requires customs to have a basic degree of knowledge about common medical conditions.

I have "declared" my stuff at numerous check-ins and always been waved through and told,"That doesn't count, that doesn't matter."

Liso66

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes - Boredom - Lima Beans - Brussell Spouts - Dogs stuffed in shoulder-bags (Dogs are not an accessory) Shopping. (Yeah, I know. Broken female gene)
I travel to the US twice a year to visit my family. I've yet to take any sort of letter with me, verifying my medications. The airport security has never bothered to ask about it. I keep them in their packaging, and my name is on the medications.

Sarge81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Thanks

Hey there I returned from Tunisia Sunday and I was given a hand written letter on headed paper to take with me and I had no problem what so eve infact I've travelled on a number of occasions with hand written letters and never been asked for it as long as you declare your sharps of insulin dependent I don't think there will be much problem

russell621

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey there I returned from Tunisia Sunday and I was given a hand written letter on headed paper to take with me and I had no problem what so eve infact I've travelled on a number of occasions with hand written letters and never been asked for it as long as you declare your sharps of insulin dependent I don't think there will be much problem
Hi, I fly at least twice a year, just returned last Friday from Majorca. Travelled with quite a few airline's, Monarch, Ryan air, Easy jet, US Airways, to name a few. I have never been asked for a letter, the only question I'm asked relating to my med's, is "if I have any liquid in my hand luggage" As I carry all my meds on me in a bag attached to my belt, I tell them there's insulin in the bag, they just nod and wave me on . Never known any security to ask for a letter.:) Have a good trip

KellyK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thanks

I am diabetic and work for an airline....you most definitely need a letter to get through security without any issues! As long as it's on headed paper should be fine but I would recommend you inform your airline before travelling just in case you have any issues that way they can back you up! Also, just a word of warning as I was caught out a few weeks ago - if you have a frio insulin pouch make sure you take it out of your hand luggage before it goes through the scanner otherwise you'll be subjected a bag search, apparently security staff haven't seen many of these pouches and think there's something concealed inside.

Reactions: 6 people

EMK1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thanks

Hi I have a hand written letter for the last 7 years and I have never been asked to show it most airlines/airports now accept diabetics have to carry their medicines and as long as it's all in a clear bag won't even be queried. I have travelled to USA, Bahamas and Europe and no problems at all

emmalhunter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I took a gp letter stamped by the surgery to Australia from UK they didn't ask for it

Thanks

ck18

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed last year and haven't travelled abroad yet, but read on here that they can ask for proof at airport. Hubby has health probs and is on meds so I'd already been advised to take a copy of his prescription with me - if meds go missing it is easier to have a prescription made up by a doctor abroad, also this verifies why he Currys his meds. As far as diabetic meds go - my GP doesn't think it necessary ( but it's not him who could be refused clearance for not having it) so will charge £30 for a letter, however I'm under the hospital diabetic team and they'll print off a letter free of charge at any time for me. A friend of mine, whose been diabetic for years says she doesn't bother with a letter as she's never been asked for one, but I wouldn't fancy risking it!