newcastle diet

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi, could anyone give me a link for the Newcastle diet please? not sure where to find it to buy it!
thank you in advance :)

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This link is what Professor Taylor of Newcastle University published on the subject. The Optifast replacement meals they used are only available in the UK on prescription. People who have decided to follow this plan have used a variety of methods & products: self-calculating very low calorie meals, Slim-fast shakes & various other similar brands. I am 7 weeks into my 8 week plan using Exante meal replacements.

If you are on medication then everyone here recommends informing your medical professional first, but responses have been mixed depending on how enlightened your own doctor is. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 people

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This link is what Professor Taylor of Newcastle University published on the subject. The Optifast replacement meals they used are only available in the UK on prescription. People who have decided to follow this plan have used a variety of methods & products: self-calculating very low calorie meals, Slim-fast shakes & various other similar brands. I am 7 weeks into my 8 week plan using Exante meal replacements.

If you are on medication then everyone here recommends informing your medical professional first, but responses have been mixed depending on how enlightened your own doctor is. Good luck.

Oh.. i didnt know that! no wonder i couldnt find a link!
Thank you very much for that!

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This thread, started on 21st March, has contributions from several of us who have recently undertaken the Newcastle Diet (ND). It now runs to 50 pages but there is a wealth of information and experiences from people who have taken this route to get a grip of their type 2 condition.

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

can i ask which Exante meal plan your doing please?
im thinking of the shakes and bar deal..

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
can i ask which Exante meal plan your doing please?
im thinking of the shakes and bar deal..
I'm following the VLCD of 3 replacement meals per day plus 2-3 litres of water as well as a couple of black coffees. As my wife joined me on a 1200 calorie plan we tried the 4 week breakfast, lunch & dinner pack initially, but it's all just dehydrated food that makes up into various flavours of baby-type food. It's no too bad if you want some variety as well as the choice of hot or cold meals, but we also bought the shakes & bars package and they are more "what you see is what you get" - the shakes are nice done in a blender with plenty of ice as well. The bars are OK too.

EDIT: The bars are handy if you're out when a meal is due. Our daily routine is
Breakfast: Shake for both of us
Lunch: Coffee & a bar for both of us
Dinner: Hot Exante meal for me, "normal food" up to 600 cals for my wife with an Exante desert

I will hit the 3 stone loss before my 8 week plan ends.

Last edited by a moderator:

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm following the VLCD of 3 replacement meals per day plus 2-3 litres of water as well as a couple of black coffees. As my wife joined me on a 1200 calorie plan we tried the 4 week breakfast, lunch & dinner pack initially, but it's all just dehydrated food that makes up into various flavours of baby-type food. It's no too bad if you want some variety as well as the choice of hot or cold meals, but we also bought the shakes & bars package and they are more "what you see is what you get" - the shakes are nice done in a blender with plenty of ice as well. The bars are OK too.

EDIT: The bars are handy if you're out when a meal is due. Our daily routine is
Breakfast: Shake for both of us
Lunch: Coffee & a bar for both of us
Dinner: Hot Exante meal for me, "normal food" up to 600 cals for my wife with an Exante desert

I will hit the 3 stone loss before my 8 week plan ends.

thats really good! im going to have a good think about it. i am due to see my doctor in a weeks time, so i will ask him about the Newscastle Diet.. but if i know my doctor as well as i think i do.. it will be a no! they dont like spending money at my surgery! It also wouldnt surprise me if he hasnt heard of it to be honest!
But at least this is a back up plan for me!
Thank you SO much! im popping the link on my bookmarks so i dont lose it! :)

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are the meal-replacements mostly protein? I've started to investigate the Newcastle Diet, but am not sure that I'd be able to cope on non-real food. Is it possible to do the diet on real meat, fish, eggs? Not more than 600 Kcals, with vit/min supplements.

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are the meal-replacements mostly protein?
No, they are a mix of protein, carbs & fat with fibre and added supplements to make them nutritionally complete of a 3 meal daily intake. The last combination of meals I had totalled 19g fat, 55g carbs & 51g protein for the day's intake. That's fairly typical from what I can see from the ingredients list.
Is it possible to do the diet on real meat, fish, eggs? Not more than 600 Kcals, with vit/min supplements.
I guess so. I chose this product for its simplicity and nutritional balance, even though it is processed food. There's no weighing, measuring or counting of ingredients that may or may not vary with the cooking process.

All I can say is it's working for me. My BG levels normalised literally within 3-4 days, the weight loss has been fairly consistent at 3-5 lbs per week after the usual big drop in the first week and I should hit the 3 stone/20kg loss just before I've completed 8 weeks.

N

nicbarnett

No, they are a mix of protein, carbs & fat with fibre and added supplements to make them nutritionally complete of a 3 meal daily intake. The last combination of meals I had totalled 19g fat, 55g carbs & 51g protein for the day's intake. That's fairly typical from what I can see from the ingredients list.

I guess so. I chose this product for its simplicity and nutritional balance, even though it is processed food. There's no weighing, measuring or counting of ingredients that may or may not vary with the cooking process.

All I can say is it's working for me. My BG levels normalised literally within 3-4 days, the weight loss has been fairly consistent at 3-5 lbs per week after the usual big drop in the first week and I should hit the 3 stone/20kg loss just before I've completed 8 weeks.
That is amazing well.done. Do you not have food cravings? I have been put on.a vlcd of 3 atkins shakes, salad and veg, no meat or dairy. I am as constipated as I have ever been and finding it really really hard xx

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is amazing well.done. Do you not have food cravings? I have been put on.a vlcd of 3 atkins shakes, salad and veg, no meat or dairy. I am as constipated as I have ever been and finding it really really hard xx
I guess there have been occassions during the time that I've had a rumbly stomach - I go & guzzle some sparkling water. I've had no constipation, as such. The output has dropped considerably though!

The meals have been well spread over the day and the incentive I had from the results is what's encouraged me to stick to the plan. Believe me, I was far from convinced I would succeed at this when I started out - I usually have the willpower of a plant-pot, but after burying my head in the sand for 5 years after initial diagnosis and just accepting the progressive stepping up of medication to compensate for my unsuitable diet, I was determined not to go on to insulin or have the inevitable complications in later life if I didn't do something about my condition.

I am 60 in November and have a son who will be 8 in October...I want to be around for as long as possible for him and the last results from the doctors were the final straw I guess. We all have different motivations that will give us the determination to see through something we might not otherwise manage.

auburn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi! I have been looking at the Exante meal replacements, I am pleased to find someone who has used them with Type 2 and hear an opinion. Good results, Rob, you've spurred me on :)

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I bow my hat to you sir, I will find this willpower from somewhere x
Many thanks. On the other thread I linked to earlier there's several of us who have taken this path for rapid loss and then migrate on to LCHF for further loss/maintenance strategy.

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi! I have been looking at the Exante meal replacements, I am pleased to find someone who has used them with Type 2 and hear an opinion. Good results, Rob, you've spurred me on :)
Like I mentioned earlier, they are so simple. I can't do with "faffing around" measuring, calculating, etc. They contain all the nutritional balance you require, whereas other brands sometimes lack that and people supplement with multi vitamins, etc., guessing at what they need. It worked out at less than £1 per meal for me, so wasn't THAT expensive compared to what I haven't spent on "real food" over the same period either.

Some may baulk at the processed nature of the product, but I felt it was an acceptable short-term price to pay compared to the long-term health benefits the plan would kick-start. I am the sort of person who needs to see measureable results relatively quickly, so don't do well on longer term diets.

The ND isn't a total panacea though and I am encouraged that others have maintained their achievements on LCHF, as a return to old habits would no doubt reverse the progress achieved.

Last edited by a moderator:

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your answers. I have now looked at the link you posted, and Prof. Taylor recommends meal replacements and no meat/fish etc. I wonder if it's just for easier and more accurate compliance, or something to do with resetting the hormone leptin (and any others involved in hunger/satiety) in the absence/reduction of "natural stimuli"?

Either way, I am very impressed by your dedication, as well as the other posters on the thread you linked.

TyTy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
I also used shake that weight