Taking blood testing machine abroad?

Orange_Seed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi just wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to take a machine on an airplane? As the lancets are for medical purposes is this allowed in hand luggage? I've never bothered before as I was on Metformin for several years and everything was under control. However, I've since had problems and realized these were due to the metformin so the doctors had me try several different tablets and I've just been given a new one, that I'm due to start whilst away and will need to test regularly as the doctor has said it works quite quickly and my sugar levels may drop quickly.

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
There is no reason why you can't take it , think you will need to declare it when you book in out of curtoursty but can see no problems . Just check with the airline first to be sure they must have loads of diabetics that fly with them .

Lou73

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My DNS has provided me with a letter to travel with stating that I need to carry a testing kit, insulin, needles etc. you just need to show it when your hand luggage is checked - if they ask for anything.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I carry a letter too, although I've never ever been asked for it anywhere I have travelled to but you never know, always take it just in case :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi just wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to take a machine on an airplane? As the lancets are for medical purposes is this allowed in hand luggage? I've never bothered before as I was on Metformin for several years and everything was under control. However, I've since had problems and realized these were due to the metformin so the doctors had me try several different tablets and I've just been given a new one, that I'm due to start whilst away and will need to test regularly as the doctor has said it works quite quickly and my sugar levels may drop quickly.

I have done several long and short haul flights since diagnosed, and I always carry my test kit with me.

I have never declared it to anyone, and nor have I ever been challenged. One of my destinations is a bit security bonkers, and everyone is searched, but even having had my bag searched, it has never been mentioned, never mind questioned.

If you are taking insulin or injectables, then it makes sense to carry either a letter from your doc or a copy of your prescription, which would validate the meds you were carrying.

Enjoy your trip.

Violetluis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I I am a diabetic on insulin and whenever I've travelled I've taken my Glucometer with me in my hand luggage. I also take my syringe and insulin vials with me as I don't use the pend

Violetluis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, you are right there, I always have a prescription ready with me in case I'm asked, but it's never happened

Orange_Seed

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for all the replys. I haven't got time to get a letter from my doctor as they are closed at the weekend and I fly on Monday. But I think I will mention it at check in just so if it is a problem I can say I have told someone. Also think I will take my old meter as it's just a basic one and if for some reason I'm not allowed it with me it won't be a major issue. I'm not on insulin so that part it ok. I don't usually test much but as I'm going to be starting new tablets it's a bit like a comfort blanket.