How much?????

tilly71

Hi I'm trying to control my diabetes at the moment and found that bread and potatoes really are bad news, my blood sugar 2hrs after bread went from 7 to 18 and potatoes went from 8 to 20, is there an alternative bread??? Or potato ie sweet or new potato?? How many carbs per meal is OK??? I've been testing things this week its really hard work,

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Some people (emphasis on some) can tolerate breads and potatoes in small portions, but many can't, me included. Suggest you dump them or alternatively, cut right back and then test.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are lower carb breads available, and there have been a few discussions about them,. so have a search through the low carb area of the forum - I believe one is called LivLife(?). Check the carbohydrate values on the nutritional labels on food, and keep on using your meter to check the different brands. Tesco and other online (grocery) shopping sites also provide this sort of information for their products, which I find very useful.

The number of carbs you eat depends on how your body reacts to them, so there's no set answer for everyone. Just avoid all potatoes, bread and flour, pasta, rice and cereals, as well as all the sugary food - cakes, sweets, biscuits, etc, and high sugar drinks, including fruit juices. Keep on using your meter to discover how you're managing and whether you need to cut back further on higher carb foods.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A good alternative to potatoes is cauliflour. Its amazing was you can do with it. I used to love mashed potato but now I have pureed cauliflour with a bit of cream, garlic powder and butter.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I make my own almond bread which is very low carb or lidl does protien rolls which are good, other options are soya and linseed burgen, potatoes is something tricky, as suggested you can make cauli mash but I would be a terrible lier if I say it tastes similar or anywhere even closer. But you gotta compromise so cauli it is. There is cauli rice too but again it's not really rice and it doesn't taste like it but an option nevertheless.

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Celeriac is another good alternative to potatoes - it's delicious roasted :)

Wildrover

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I make my own almond bread which is very low carb or lidl does protien rolls which are good, other options are soya and linseed burgen, potatoes is something tricky, as suggested you can make cauli mash but I would be a terrible lier if I say it tastes similar or anywhere even closer. But you gotta compromise so cauli it is. There is cauli rice too but again it's not really rice and it doesn't taste like it but an option nevertheless.

Any chance of the recipe for the Almond bread, Brettsza, please,

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
100 grams almond flour
2 tsp baking soda
Cheese, I had put Parmesan first and found it too strong and nutty so settled for the cheddar, just about 25 to 30 grams.
2 Eggs
I add some seeds to all this sunflower or any
about 25g of butter
Just whiz everything together, I dont separate egg whites and yolks
put it in at 180 fan for about 30 to 40 mins
I only use 100g as I dont eat bread anymore so even that lasts me good 2 weeks.
Mixtures is quite stiff so dont worry about it.
I also added a spoon of milled flax last time, but I must say it was definitely not to my taste, so will not put it next time around.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
why oh why is it everything we love turns out to be bad for us....must try the low carb bread will check that lidl place out tomorrow:)

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank god I don't love bread that much and whatever love I had has all evaporated.
Lidl rolls sound very interesting as they are not near my house
I am going today again and will see if anything has changed as last week I saw something new (unfortunately it was not those rolls) but it keeps me looking on and on.

Reactions: 3 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
another bread alternative is Sukrin (I managed to get 8 loaves worth for £3ish a loaf buying direct)

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How were your potatoes cooked? I can have a couple of roasties or new potatoes or a handful of chips, but mash or jacket spuds are out for me. Good mash replacements include cauli, swede in small quantities or celeriac. Bread again is tough, Burgen soya and linseed works for some, I like the M&S spelt bread - not as heavy as small of the rye breads and 2 slices don't spike me. It's all trial and error thought, test, eat, test is the best advise

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can eat up to 2 slices of seeded bread, some potatoes - any which way you like and small amounts of re-heated rice and pasta.

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi
I manage to get away with a couple of slices of warbotons wholegrain but have to get the corner shop to order it in as I have never seen it in the supermarkets
A small handful of chips or a small jacket I also manage but unless you test before and after meals it hard to tell what you will get away with , good luck .
Keep well stay safe JJ

Wildrover

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
100 grams almond flour
2 tsp baking soda
Cheese, I had put Parmesan first and found it too strong and nutty so settled for the cheddar, just about 25 to 30 grams.
2 Eggs
I add some seeds to all this sunflower or any
about 25g of butter
Just whiz everything together, I dont separate egg whites and yolks
put it in at 180 fan for about 30 to 40 mins
I only use 100g as I dont eat bread anymore so even that lasts me good 2 weeks.
Mixtures is quite stiff so dont worry about it.
I also added a spoon of milled flax last time, but I must say it was definitely not to my taste, so will not put it next time around.

Thanks Brettsza,

Lehcar2991

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Going for low GI help so much, my dietician gave me a list which I will take a pic of and attach

Attachments

• 1434204575715.jpg
    1434204575715.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 216

IzzieS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Loud noises; disrespectful people; fireworks
A good alternative to potatoes is cauliflour. Its amazing was you can do with it. I used to love mashed potato but now I have pureed cauliflour with a bit of cream, garlic powder and butter.
Does it really taste good? I'm not keen on the taste of cauliflower.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wasnt either but with the right sauce ect it can be good. With my mashed cauli I put both butter and cream and garlic powder but you could put any seasoning you like with it. I blend it in my blender for at least 5 minutes because I like it smooth and creamy. Also if you fry up a little onion and bacon in butter, add in some cream cheese, cream and grated cheese and pour it over your cooked cauli, its delicious I eat it all the time. I think it is called Loaded Cauliflour.