What are you're symptoms that alert you when sugar is high?

spirtiguide

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am beginning to notice that mine is complete exhaustion, but I also have PA so that doesn't help
in trying to know which is which I also have nasty big horrible veins in the top of my legs, the one
on my right leg feels like it is sometimes being pulled in from the inside is the only way I can describe
the feeling and it twinges like hell at times too am slightly worried incase it is DVT but have my
annual appointment on Thursday with my diabetic consultant, so will mention it to him then.
Just wondered if any of you had the same?

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
With myself I used to just run out of energy, get blurred vision, have a 4 hour power nap that no one could wake me up from and sweating by the bucket load, this was Feb of last year when my highs were 26 though. Now my highs are about 9 and I will be instantly thirsty and I will feel horrible.

Reactions: 2 people

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
Hi i feel horrible and can fall a sleep at the drop of a hat.

spirtiguide

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With myself I used to just run out of energy, get blurred vision, have a 4 hour power nap that no one could wake me up from and sweating by the bucket load, this was Feb of last year when my highs were 26 though. Now my highs are about 9 and I will be instantly thirsty and I will feel horrible.

It's hard as people that don't have Diabetes just think I'm being lazy, when mostily I am not lol hope you are having a good day today thanks for the reply

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.

auburn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm pretty new to this, but I notice headaches, yawning and feeling really drowsy if I have a particularly carb-heavy meal. Still learning what I can cope with and what I can't..

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I would never have known I was diabetic if I hadnt moved house and changed Doctors and had new Dr check up.
I felt fine.
But did start to feel strange when my blood sugar dropped ,I used to test 10 or 12,but after starting to low carb soon went down to 5 to 7,i believe it was false hypos and my body getting used to lower blood sugar,Im fine now and they only lasted about a week.
I cant say I understand false hypos,but was swetting and dizzy and very worried,I am on 1x500mg of Metformin.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
All above plus feeling dizzy and sort of pressure on top of my nose, between eyes. Feeling dizzy a bit annoying as I think im having hypo

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hunger when I know I shouldn't be hungry because I ate recently. Fatigue. Anxiety. My foot starts twitching up and down as if I'm angry. Since I've been on a pump and reduced my blood sugars, the symptoms of hyperglycemia are coming on at lower numbers than before.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have type 2 diabetes. My blood glucose moves up and down throughout the day within a range of 20 to 40 mg/dL - (another way of putting it is between 6.4 and 7.5 mmol/L or 5.8 and 8.1 mmol/L).

My experience with unusually high blood glucose levels was similar to Patricia21's initially. I was experiencing bladder discomfort. The doctor I saw after hours found no infection, so the next day she tested my blood glucose level. It was was 282 mg/dL (15.7 mmol/L). I had no idea. I was shocked.

That was the first time my blood glucose had been checked in 4 years, second time it had been checked in 6 years. During the months leading up to that day, I was tired but pushed through our annual fundraiser and family holiday doings before and after Christmas. A month later, I left employment and slept 10 to 12 hours a day for 3 weeks. I'm in my mid-50's and had never experienced that level of exhaustion before, yet I recovered. Though emotionally, if something happened that I wasn't expecting, I would over react, so in that sense, I hadn't fully recovered.

Now that I've been on the low carb diet for 4 months, and my blood glucose levels are stable, I feel the same whether my blood glucose is 100 or 200 mg/dL (5.6 or 11.1 mmol/L) - the latter has has only happened once over the last three months.

Thankfully, I have a blood glucose meter again, and I use it daily.

I think the worst part of having type 2 diabetes, for a bit more than 10 years now, was feeling hungry and thinking about what I was going to eat next every 1 to 2 hours. Now that I've eliminated a lot of carbs from my diet, I feel calm. I'm no longer fighting those nagging urges to figure out what I'm going to eat next. And it's wonderful.

@spiritguide it's more challenging when we have multiple health issues. I have inflammatory bowel disease and subclinical hyperthyroidism in addition to having a bad bout of chest pain a month or so after I was re-diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. It takes time to sort out the symptoms and what can and cannot be managed with diet, nutritional supplements, exercise, and, if needed, medical treatment. All we can do is learn everything we can about each condition and try different strategies until we find what works best for us. Be gentle with yourself. It takes a lot of time and effort to get back to that place where we're feeling good again some or most of the time. :)