Newly diagnosed type 2 and terrified.

slc393

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all. I have been diagnosed type 2. And am trying to learn about it all. My main worry is my levels are between 5.5 and 8.0 mmol before meals but can go up to 13mmol 2 hours after eating although it is rare but normally between 8.2 and 10. Mmol after eating. I do take metformin 3 a day. So my question is does these levels sound ok? As I have been terrified they are to high. I thought the metformin would bring me down to normal levels. Also what level s of carbs should I be looking for on packaging ? Also on a off note how do I get my questions on the forum for others to see unsure if I have done this right

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hello all. I have been diagnosed type 2. And am trying to learn about it all. My main worry is my levels are between 5.5 and 8.0 mmol before meals but can go up to 13mmol 2 hours after eating although it is rare but normally between 8.2 and 10. Mmol after eating. I do take metformin 3 a day. So my question is does these levels sound ok? As I have been terrified they are to high. I thought the metformin would bring me down to normal levels. Also what level s of carbs should I be looking for on packaging ? Also on a off note how do I get my questions on the forum for others to see unsure if I have done this right

No, those numbers are a little too high, but I should add I've seen a LOT worse. Metformin has some impact but not as much as many think and they certainly will not bring you down to normal levels purely on their own.

So, questions

What was / is your Hba1c? What is your diet (complete breakdown)? What is your BMI? Exercise regime?

Mike :)

Reactions: 4 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't be terrified - just be concerned - as @Mike D says we've seen much worse figures. You need to modify your diet to get your levels down, metformin isn't a magic pill that will do it for you - it can only help, but not fix things.

To start with you should do your best to avoid all obviously high sugar and starchy foods, sugary drinks including fruit juices, and add potatoes, bread, pastry, pasta, rice to your "not good for nice low glucose levels" foods. If you have a meter and are testing, then this will indicate what foods are causing spikes and should be treated with caution/avoided, and whether your levels are improving or whether you may need to reduce carby stuff further. Look for at least less than 20g carbs per 100g weight on packaging, and if possible less than 10g per 100g weight.

Our main Diabetes UK site has a lot of useful information, and includes recommended blood sugar levels for both diabetics and non diabetics, and there's a useful book by Trudi Deakin called "Eat Fat!" which has very helpful information if you're considering a low carbohydrate type diet.

Robbity

Reactions: 6 people

slc393

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No, those numbers are a little too high, but I should add I've seen a LOT worse. Metformin has some impact but not as much as many think and they certainly will not bring you down to normal levels purely on their own.

So, questions

What was / is your Hba1c? What is your diet (complete breakdown)? What is your BMI? Exercise regime?

My hba1c is 57 I m still learning the what to eat thing trying to do low carbs but still eating bead and potatoes my nurse said they are fine I'm not so sure. I'm very overweight lets just say that and until lately my exercise was little to none. I'm am now cycling for 20 mins trying to build it up.

Reactions: 2 people

DaveInCali

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
Don't let it stress you out, as Robbity said don't be terrified just concerned.This is a lifestyle caused disease and you can change your lifestyle and beat this thing!

I'm doing a lot of fresh veggies, some meats and dairy, a bit of fruit here and there no breads or starches and no processed foods. I am seeing a difference for sure already. If your nurse is telling you bread and potatoes are ok and you are taking pills 3 times a day she is giving you some bad info my friend!

Work hard and kick diabetes a$$!

Last edited by a moderator:

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hello slc393, welcome
Your nurse is wrong! All carbohydrates are converted to to sugar. So it makes no sense at all to say that it's OK for someone with T2 to eat bread and potatoes. If you were allergic to nuts, would she advise peanut butter on your toast??
I will tag @daisy1 for you. The info for new members that she gives out is a great place to start learning how to get things under control.

Reactions: 8 people

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
slc393, welcome!

When I found out in February that my type 2 diabetes had gotten significantly worse, I was devastated. Scared too. Next day I happened upon an online article about the low carb high fat (LCHF) diet, and decided that's what I wanted to do. Got my numbers down into the 105 - 145 md/dL (5.8 - 8.1 mmol/L) range four weeks without medication. (My goal is to get those numbers lower over the next 8 months. I still have a ways to go, I know.)

I encourage you to learn everything you can about low carb. Once you get through the initial adjustment, it gets easier and you'll likely feel a lot better because you won't be on the carb roller coaster any more.

A good website is http://www.dietdoctor.com/ And there's also a LCHF diet forum here at http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/low-carb-diet-forum.18/

Reactions: 8 people

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
Like the others have said. Not that bad.

As well as the Metformin and being more aware of what you are eating you are doing the other vital thing already. You have become more active. Stick at it, it really does help. Loosing weight helps as well.

It's not easy it does alter your life, however it's not all bad just different.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Really have a good look through the low carb forums as the LCHF approach is really good for getting your BS under control. Kick those bread and potatoes to the curb there are a lot of other options out there

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@slc393

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful, especially with regards to diet and carbs. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will be able to help. You have already got a good amount of answers.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Reactions: 2 people

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As others have said, try not to be too scared by the diagnosis, it sounds like it has been caught early and there is a lot you can do now to control it. Also remember that stress will increase your BS levels so it can end up a vicious circle. 5.5 before a meal isn't really a problem, 8 is too high, it's more what you should be looking at after the meal.

I still eat potatoes and bread, but in far smaller quantities than previously. Others may look at carb content per 100g, I tend to worry about carb content per meal. Two small meals a day with about 20 - 30g of carbs in, and then one main meal with up to 50g of carbs. My daily allowance is about 100 - 120g per day, far more than some but seems to work for me.

Watch what you eat between meals, one of my problems to start with was that I would snack which meant that the BS never had a chance to go down prior to my next meal, so through the day it just kept getting higher and higher. Once I started testing regularly, and I tested a lot to start with, I could see what was happening and do something about it, if for some reason my BS is high before a meal I try and make sure that that meal has a little carbs in a possible to give it time to recover afterwards.

Also remember that this is a condition you will have for life, so you might have to compromise a bit to find the diet you can live with, there is little point in totally cutting out all carbs if you can't live with that diet. I'm still a chocoholic, I just eat less of it and very dark (70 or 85%) now instead of milk.

I will also add that many of us do manage to lose some weight by reducing our carb intake, even if we have opted for full fat products as opposed to low fat options.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
This is a lifestyle caused disease and you can change your lifestyle and beat this thing!

Hi @DaveInCali

Well done on your numbers and pleased for you ..... but a minor comment just in case others take it as gospel. It is not always a lifestyle caused disease ..... for some, yes, for others, definitely not. Genetics (for example) is a huge factor

Reactions: 15 people

slc393

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for your comments they have been very educating. Today my bloods have remained below 6 all day even 1 hrs after eating my fave scrambled egg and bacon for lunch. I would like to add as one person kindly said and that is my great grandmother my grandmother and my father were all type 1 but diagnosed later in life. So I think it was only a matter off time I just sped it up a bit with bad lifestyle choices.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Its true it wiĺl never go away but just think of it as being in remission and as long as you look after yourself it will stay that way. I have my levels in the "normal" range now and I find I can eat a small chocolate bar or a couple of pieces of pizza and still go back in the 5s at the 2 hr mark but I would never go back to eating all the rubbish I used to everyday. I look at them as treats now as I've realised it is easy to fall back into old habits.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for your comments they have been very educating. Today my bloods have remained below 6 all day even 1 hrs after eating my fave scrambled egg and bacon for lunch. I would like to add as one person kindly said and that is my great grandmother my grandmother and my father were all type 1 but diagnosed later in life. So I think it was only a matter off time I just sped it up a bit with bad lifestyle choices.

slc393, that's interesting. Is there any possibility that your family members who "were all type 1 but diagnosed later in life" had celiac disease or non-celiac gluten sensitivity? I ask this because autoimmune disorders sometimes cause type 1 diabetes.

You might find this article posted today on Chris Kresser's blog of interest... http://chriskresser.com/3-reasons-g...-disease/?mc_cid=b6048607a9&mc_eid=f3cb1cd3c6 In it, he talks about how diagnosing these two conditions can be tricky. He also explains that the best way to diagnose either is to stop eating the grains wheat, rye, and barley for 60 days then begin eating them again to see if you notice a difference. By that I mean, feel better not eating these grains, or feel worse after you begin to eat them again.

If you do have one of these conditions, and if you stop eating those grains, you potentially could prevent an autoimmune attack on and destruction of your beta cells.

At minimum, if you continue on the LCHF diet, you'll continue to see your blood glucose levels drop, and perhaps even reverse your type 2 diabetes. I agree with 4ratbags. While we'll always have diabetes, remission is possible for many of us. I transitioned from pre-diabetes to type 2 diabetes 10 years ago, and did nothing about it until I learned about the LCHF diet this year. Many here can share similar stories.

I've made a lot of progress, as can you. It gets easier as your blood glucose levels begin to drop and you realize that you really do have a lot of control over your blood glucose levels through use of diet and exercise. Hang in there. Keep doing what you've begun. As you continue to gain knowledge and experience, it really does get better. :)

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Below 6 is a cracking start.
Eggs and bacon is clearly a good thing.
While others will mention the benefits to them of LCHF, and I am one of them, I would add that in some ways I'm glad I was caught when I was. I've taken this fright to reassess what I eat and how I eat it and I know I feel a lot better in myself and I hope this will help me live with condition I have.
It frightens me to think where I would have gone if I had not made the change.
Take care
Hj

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you're interested in learning more about celiac disease (CD), non-celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS), gluten-free diet (GFD), and how they may play a role sometimes in type 1 diabetes mellitus (T1DM), here's a few online articles that may be of interest - (researchers continue to have more questions than answers, which I think is reflected in these posts, articles, and studies; research is ongoing)...

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2013/04/type-1-diabetes-cured/

http://glutendoctors.blogspot.com/2012/06/can-gluten-free-diet-cure-type-1.html

http://robbwolf.com/2008/09/17/paleo-vs-type-1-diabetes/

http://www.everydayhealth.com/type-1-diabetes/type-1-diabetes-causes.aspx

http://www.ohri.ca/newsroom/newsstory.asp?ID=189

Last edited by a moderator:

Des Gray

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Hi, I take one glucovance 250 mg each day. My B.A.A.M. is 4.5 - 10.00. I have 3 slices of bread a day and potatoes once a week. Should I cut back on my carbs....Thank you.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey @Des Gray Welcome to the forum.

It's a personal decision.

I'd already given up gluten found in wheat, rye, and barley after I'd been formally diagnosed with non-celiac gluten sensitivity in 2011, so giving up sugar, all other grains, fruit, starchy/root vegetables, and legumes wasn't that hard, and I haven't looked back. I actually enjoy food more now.

When I chose to start the LCHF diet in February, the question on my mind was, "Can I prevent diabetic neuropathy, retinopathy, and other diabetic complications later by controlling my blood glucose levels now."

It's something we each have to weigh for ourselves.

My suggestion would be to consider trying the low carb, high fat (LCHF) diet for a couple of months. Then at the end of that period, decide if you'd like to continue or go back to your former way of eating.

A good book to get you started is Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution (4th edition) by Richard Bernstein. A place you can begin learning about the LCHF diet today is Diet Doctor at http://www.dietdoctor.com/ And it's free. You don't have to become a member to view the non-member part of the website which is substantial. Also, please join us on the Low-Carb Diet Forum at http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/low-carb-diet-forum.18/ We'll gladly answer your questions and provide you the ongoing support you need as you navigate this new way of eating. That's how I got started. :)