Sweet chilli sauce

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone found one that isn't too bad in carbs? I've had a craving for some but looking on tesco site they're not giving the nutrition details, and as they nearly all have sugar syrup in I'm guessing they're very high!
Or maybe an easy recipe for making my own? I don't like it hot though, so no extreme recipes please! :yuck:

Reactions: 4 people

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wish! Although maybe not - now that my taste has changed on LCHF, it would feel too sweet...

I have replaced it with non-sweet hot chilli sauces, obviously in smaller quantities (compared to half-cup servings I used to have). I like Sriracha (contains a little sugar, but negligible in the small quantity needed), Encona Caribbean Hot Sauce, and Chilli Oil (that is very salty too).

I don't know if just mixing a granulated sweetener such as Xylitol into a little water would make a good substitute for sugar syrup...

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I remember when I was first diagnosed last year and looked at the contents of my fridge and thought "Ah! The 'sweet' in 'sweet chilli sauce' is sugar! - argh!" (Ditto the sweet in 'sweet and sour sauce' ho ho.) I loved my sweet chilli sauce bought off the shelf. But getting off the sugar treadmill as a diabetic I had to ditch the off-the-shelf sauces too (according to my personal 'lower my BG and get healthier plan' in any case). I made my own chilli sauce with red chilli flakes and fish sauce and ditched the 'sweet'. (My substitute sweet n sour sauce was sweetened with pineapple juice.) But now I think I would do the stevia number in a chilli sauce.

Saw this paleo (hence the coconut oil and soy sauce substitute with coconut aminos) recipe online, and am thinking about swapping out the coconut aminos with fish sauce, and stevia for the honey, just to be on the BG-safe-side. Give it a whirl in the kitchen?

Ingredients
  • 1 tsp animal fat or coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup onion, very finely diced
  • 1 clove garlic, very finely minced
  • 1 6 oz can or 7 oz jar tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp coconut aminos (or 1 TBSP of fish sauce)
  • 1 tsp chili powder (or 1 tsp of red chilli flakes)
  • 1/2 tsp fine salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp ground allspice
  • Honey to taste, optional (or stevia to taste)
Method
Step 1
In a sauce pan, heat fat/oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often so they don’t brown.

Step 2
Add garlic and cook for one minute, stirring constantly so it doesn’t brown.

Step 3
Add remaining ingredients except honey, bring to a soft boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes, until it’s thickened to the consistency of ketchup.

Step 4
Remove from heat and stir in honey to taste, if desired. Let cool and store in an air-tight container in fridge.

Reactions: 2 people

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Slightly different from the Question @rowan asked
I too like the spicy stuff it's not a sauce as such but I use a lot of pesto sauce and Scala do a chilli version 8g carbs per 100g of which sugars are just over 6g

Should be available from most supermarkets

Reactions: 2 people