Glugacon Injection at Work

enamor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

Is there any restriction or regulation regarding giving a glucagon injection to a colleague?

I'm type 1 and we've recently had discussions at work regarding hypos and treatment etc. My boss mentioned the glucagon injection kit but we don't know where to look to find out if there's any legislation regarding the administration of the injection.
Can it be stored and used at work?
Can anyone administer it or is it a trained first aider only?
Is there anything else we'd need to know?

Any advice of a point in the right direction would be appreciated.

Many thanks

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I'm not an expert by any means but I don't think there's any legislation to prevent it.

In the end it comes down to whether your employer and work colleagues accept the liability because they could be held responsible if something goes wrong. Most companies won't even store and hand out Aspirin these days because of liability issues.

If your employer accepts the liability then can the glucagon be stored somewhere where it cannot be tampered with? You would need to reduce the risk both for your own safety and the benefit of others.

Are you unable to treat your own hypo's ?

Reactions: 2 people

enamor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thankfully I'm aware and capable of treating my lows and have never needed any intervention. But last week at work I have three lows in row the last one being quite obvious and a lot lower than normal at 2.2. It was down to (I think) some unplanned and quite strenuous exercise. I can normally feel them and treat without anyone even noticing but with it being obvious it led to conversations.

Because its never happened I'm kind of unaware of how low blood sugar levels drop before the stage of unconsciousness and the resulting conversations led us to realise that my colleagues are quite concerned about what would happen and what they should do if it ever happens. So I guess we're just trying to prepare for the worst case scenario rather than waiting to learn lesson after the event.

We are all certainly hoping that our musings stay just that and our conversations remain hypothetical, but it would be reassuring to know we put a plan in place.

diggerfrank

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
hot currys.indian food.
why not have a tube of dextrogel handy? the top comes off easily. then squeeze some it into the mouth.. works a treat..If you're that far gone and your mouth is tight shut, get them to squeeze it between your lips. i got 6 tubes on prescription.

Reactions: 4 people

enamor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
why not have a tube of dextrogel handy? the top comes off easily. then squeeze some it into the mouth.. works a treat..If you're that far gone and your mouth is tight shut, get them to squeeze it between your lips. i got 6 tubes on prescription.

Thank you, sounds like a more comfortable option than an injection for both me and them.

I hope never to have the need for it but my colleagues would definitely feel better having an option to help them if needed.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Buy a tube of liquid glucose from the cake making dept of local supermarket. It can be rubbed into your gums and dissolve without choking hazard.