CRACKING UP!!! Please help.

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Doctor told me today that Levemir tends to only be given to people who are EXTREMELY sporty for tighter control!!

Totally baffled me there! Then again, with readings a bit on the higjer sode, they did also tell me to reduce my Lantus from 26 to 24, 2 weeks ago it was at 28 units and I wasnt too fussed about taking it down to 26 but dropping it again when my readings are up a bit, erm, no love, maybe when readings are 'normal' again lol.

They actually are very good at making my blood boil.

You are the customer (patient) who is having to take the meds; you have the right to request a change to another insulin if you are having trouble with the present one.

When I discussed this with my consultant last December (pump users must always have a alternative in the event of loss, damage etc. to the pump) he simply agreed and wrote to my GP requesting the change to my prescription.

Mind you, I had suffered stinging, lumps and other issues at injection sites with it; and "control" was a pipe dream even when using split doses.

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
really glad you're not cracking up now :)- it appears the D forum army have achieved the mission as normal with good advice:D

Reactions: 11 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Touche @noblehead !

I was going to say the same thing: how do you know it's your lantus that's wrong? Run several basal tests over the next fortnight just to be doubly sure and then consult with your DSN and post your findings on here to get the range of input you'll need to properly resolve the issue.

As far as Lantus goes, it may work for you or it may not, but if you suffer soreness, lumps, stinging etc., when you inject it whilst not getting the same issues with the Novorapid (do exclude cold-insulin if you keep yours in the fridge!), then it's possible you have an intolerance to one of the ingredients in which case you need to explore alternatives.

But also do consider Berstein's point about quantity of insulin delivered per injection: his mantra is no more than seven units before you run the risk of your body's immune system reacting to an invasion of an unwelcome visitor.

Perhaps try basal testing as per the link @noblehead included and then perhaps do some using Bernstein's multiple injection process for your lantus dose (e.g. four injections of 7 units in quick succession but in different sites).
I am not sure that's good advice for Lantus. There is some evidence that it has almost no effect in small doses anyway (less than 16 units). So if the OPs going to split the dose, she'd be better to switch insulins anyway.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Doctor told me today that Levemir tends to only be given to people who are EXTREMELY sporty for tighter control!!

Totally baffled me there! Then again, with readings a bit on the higjer sode, they did also tell me to reduce my Lantus from 26 to 24, 2 weeks ago it was at 28 units and I wasnt too fussed about taking it down to 26 but dropping it again when my readings are up a bit, erm, no love, maybe when readings are 'normal' again lol.

They actually are very good at making my blood boil.
I think you should ask your GP to refer you to a different hospital if that's possible. I also think you are having the "Lantus problem". I never got on with it either, and over the years it completely demoralized me. I thought it was me, the "hopeless diabetic", no matter how much I struggled I couldn't get good control. Then I ditched the Lantus and all is light. (I know Lantus works for some people - even though I am tempted to run a hate campaign against it!)

Reactions: 4 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
I am not sure that's good advice for Lantus. There is some evidence that it has almost no effect in small doses anyway (less than 16 units). So if the OPs going to split the dose, she'd be better to switch insulins anyway.

I hadn't heard that.

Perhaps that's partly why Bernstein states has stopped prescribing it.

Reactions: 3 people
M

mammamia2006

I think you should ask your GP to refer you to a different hospital if that's possible. I also think you are having the "Lantus problem". I never got on with it either, and over the years it completely demoralized me. I thought it was me, the "hopeless diabetic", no matter how much I struggled I couldn't get good control. Then I ditched the Lantus and all is light. (I know Lantus works for some people - even though I am tempted to run a hate campaign against it!)

Haha, hate campaign?? Love it lol x

HaroldC

I had exactly the same problem with Lantus and about the same dosage. It seems to stop working 24 hours after a few years (when I hit 42). Like you thought, I split it as well, but it may be something to do with the absorption.
All was fixed when I got a pump. If I go on holiday, where it's warm, I'll go back onto MDI with Levemir which works great in 2 shots a day (I've checked with CGM).