Travelling with Insulin

hannahlou

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys, after a bit of advice. Type 1 diabetic . . Off on holiday next week, I have never had to carry syringes before on a flight what's the protocol?

I know medication etc in original packets with prescription labels and in hand luggage. But can't seem any consistent advice on any documentation required. Do I need a GP letter? My GP says not and that a copy of my repeat prescription is significant - is this correct?

Do I need to 'declare' the syringes etc at customs?

Advise from frequent flyers would be much appreciated!

Looking forward to some
Have a good day everyone x

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Where are you going?

I've never had an issue flying with diabetic kit. It gets checked going through the x-ray machine and they've never even picked it up.

hannahlou

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Tim, to be honest I have never had a problem in Europe but I use syringes now instead of pre filled pens for my basal injections and just wondered if it was any different.

Tim2000s what documentation do you carry if any?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks Tim, to be honest I have never had a problem in Europe but I use syringes now instead of pre filled pens for my basal injections and just wondered if it was any different.

Tim2000s what documentation do you carry if any?
I've typically only taken a medic alert card around Europe with me. I haven't usually bothered with a GP note or a Repeat Prescription. I used to use Pen for short acting and Syringe and Phial for long acting and didn't have problems with that either.

Any reason why you've moved back to syringes?

hannahlou

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A bit of an odd reason I guess I have IA and the arthritis in my right hand affects my thumb and forefinger quite badly they lick and don't bend.

I tried lots of prefilled and pens that use cartridges but for comfort and ease of use it was oddly syringes that are most comfortable for me to use. I guess partly because they are a lot lighter.

diggerfrank

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
hot currys.indian food.
JUST take two pens, spare cartridges, tester,and if you sugars drop too low you can get a prescription for an empty syringe and a small phial that has a clear liquid ( distilled water i think and powder.) you just shake the phial and inject. thats what i did when i went on safari for a week in Kenya. ( no doctors or hospital for hundreds of miles ) never needed it, but you can never be too careful

bellabella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
JUST take two pens, spare cartridges, tester,and if you sugars drop too low you can get a prescription for an empty syringe and a small phial that has a clear liquid ( distilled water i think and powder.) you just shake the phial and inject. thats what i did when i went on safari for a week in Kenya. ( no doctors or hospital for hundreds of miles ) never needed it, but you can never be too careful
I think the small phial you are talking about is the glucagon hypokit?

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The only time I was questioned about my indulin and needles was in Cambodia. Never in Europe