Feeling happy

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done birdy!! Love the positivity and your outlook- much the same as mine, shock diagnosis 7 weeks ago but three days later I came here and have never looked back!! I feel so much better now and in a way I'm glad to have the kick up the butt too.........certainly not changing my new regime now and don't even miss all the old "treats"!! My tastes have changed so suddenly, even 90% dark chocolate seems sweet and one square is plenty, that's only max of twice a week too!!

Reactions: 5 people

Birdy

Hi everyone.

Have not posted for a bit as have been getting on with life.

Had my first annual check up this week and all good. Starting HBa1c in March 2014 was 84, this week 37 (I think) which equated to average BG of 5.3mmol/l so have made great progress, especially as I dropped Metformin in September 2014. Following early Cholesterol drop, this has maintained within normal level.

It's been an incredible year and three months. Have changed the way I eat and taken up regular (long) walks, often 5 miles after work and 10 miles on a day off. It has been a huge commitment but wow! it has paid off!!! Have lost 5 stone and am slimmer and fitter than i have been for 26 years, have more energy, motivation and confidence than ever and all thanks to my friend(!) Type 2 Diabetes. I feel sad that I had to damage my body in order to make changes but no point looking back, forward is the only way. I was super strict at first but have adapted my life to fit in with my health and have now achieved some balance.

I still have challenges, maintaining the motivation and keeping my head in the game, and still need to stop smoking, want to lose at least another 3 stone and still need to get thyroid under control but every step is one in the right direction.

Thanks to everyone here for sharing their knowledge and for the early encouragement and to friends and family who have been amazing, particularly my husband, who has been my best friend, listening ear, crying shoulder and most enthusiastic cheerleader.

To anyone starting on this unwanted journey, keep your eyes on the destination and like anything else in life the more you invest, the more likely you are to have a good return. The ride is bumpy and there are lots of twists and turns in the road but it's worth sticking with it. For me, the physical changes have been massive but in my opinion it's the head that needs the hardest work. Stay positive, remember what you are trying to achieve and don't thinks about what you are giving up, only what you are gaining.

Good wishes for great health to everyone.

Birdy xx

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

trace_1963

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
New here and to Diabetes.

Diagnosed type 2 following GP appointment mid-March 2014. Was testing between diagnosis and seeing Nurse at GP practice and BG was between 14-23 (am a nurse myself) and diagnosis HBA1C was 84. Knew before result due to thirst+++, urinating+++ and very blurred vision.

Not much info at appointment and am awaiting dietician appointment. Nurse said may need Insulin due to BG level but started Metformin 500mg twice a day. Also prescribed Simvastatin 20mg as fasting lipid was 8. Have not taken due to fear of side effect and due to Hypothyroid still being underprepared (a possible contributor to high Cholesterol). Was refused testing kit so purchased my own. Found this site and Diabetic friend most helpful and immediately commenced 'healthy eating' and exercise plan. Was unable to tolerate Metformin and switched to Metformin SR 500mg a day, which has been fine.

Since 1st appointment in early April I have managed to lose about 36 pounds in weight and fasting BG is 5-6 mmol/l and two hours after food is under 8 as a rule. Testing on waking and before/two hours after a meal has allowed me to take more control, as opposed to waiting for next HBA1C as suggested by Nurse. She was begrudgingly impressed by my progress and suggested that I stick to current Metformin dose rather than increase as planned.

I am wondering if any of the experienced forumites can tell me if they think I should push to come off the Metformin ASAP or continue as it has obviously helped, along with dietary and lifestyle changes and I am tolerating it well (I think it helps control my appetite).

For any other newbies who are feeling overwhelmed, just read what you can, take control and responsibility and embrace the opportunity to live a new healthy life. I am a 41 year old, married but no kids, very overweight (was 20 stone and 5 feet tall) fairly lazy (no exercise) person who works about 50 hours a week caring for others but neglected herself. Also have Hypothyroidism and PCOS. I am now a convert and get excited by stable BG and reducing waistline ! If I can do it anyone can!!! Even on my (current) two week all-inclusive 5 star hotel holiday in Turkey I have managed to stay fairly stable and have actually enjoyed exercising. Only problem is, now I have lost a little weight I think I am a size 12 (22-24 in reality) and have for the first time in many years abandoned the beach kaftan and am embracing the tankini and am humming 'sexy and I know it' as I strut to the pool. What people must think I don't know (or care). All I know is that I feel healthier than I have for years and have a Diabetes to thank for giving me the major boot up the backside I needed.

Anyway sorry for going on a bit, thanks for listening. Am open to any further advice and hope my story helps/encourages others as reading posts has helped me.

Ps. Strawberries, 1tbsp lighter creme fraishe and one square of grated very dark chocolate had been my saviour!

Peace and love.

Lilx
You are a breath of fresh air x

Reactions: 2 people

trace_1963

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone.

Have not posted for a bit as have been getting on with life.

Had my first annual check up this week and all good. Starting HBa1c in March 2014 was 84, this week 37 (I think) which equated to average BG of 5.3mmol/l so have made great progress, especially as I dropped Metformin in September 2014. Following early Cholesterol drop, this has maintained within normal level.

It's been an incredible year and three months. Have changed the way I eat and taken up regular (long) walks, often 5 miles after work and 10 miles on a day off. It has been a huge commitment but wow! it has paid off!!! Have lost 5 stone and am slimmer and fitter than i have been for 26 years, have more energy, motivation and confidence than ever and all thanks to my friend(!) Type 2 Diabetes. I feel sad that I had to damage my body in order to make changes but no point looking back, forward is the only way. I was super strict at first but have adapted my life to fit in with my health and have now achieved some balance.

I still have challenges, maintaining the motivation and keeping my head in the game, and still need to stop smoking, want to lose at least another 3 stone and still need to get thyroid under control but every step is one in the right direction.

Thanks to everyone here for sharing their knowledge and for the early encouragement and to friends and family who have been amazing, particularly my husband, who has been my best friend, listening ear, crying shoulder and most enthusiastic cheerleader.

To anyone starting on this unwanted journey, keep your eyes on the destination and like anything else in life the more you invest, the more likely you are to have a good return. The ride is bumpy and there are lots of twists and turns in the road but it's worth sticking with it. For me, the physical changes have been massive but in my opinion it's the head that needs the hardest work. Stay positive, remember what you are trying to achieve and don't thinks about what you are giving up, only what you are gaining.

Good wishes for great health to everyone.

Birdy xx

Birdy

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1434997785.920416.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1434997807.298142.jpg

Before, during and current. Have resisted a bikini shot for now!!!!!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 13764

View attachment 13765

Before, during and current. Have resisted a bikini shot for now!!!!!

What a transformation!! It's a whole new you.

You rue it took diabetes for you to grab your new life, but in fairness we each need a real, and meaningful reason to make the sort of changes you have, and to maintain it. Maybe beforehand, a smaller dress, or whatever, just wasn't important enough.

Again, well done. You should be very proud indeed.

Reactions: 7 people

Birdy

Thanks 'andbreathe'.

Yes have tried making change in the past but this one has been far more meaningful. Thanks for encouragement

Birdyx

trace_1963

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You look great well done,won't be long until you will be posting the bikini pics lol and why not,take care x