Continued acne and a goat!

Tumble

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Negativity
I agree with Sunshine84. Caroline Hirons is brilliant and I mean brilliant! Her husband is also type 1 so she knows her stuff. She doesn't have her own products but you can follow her cheat sheets in order to help with your skincare regime and pick the right products for you from the high-street. Also have you tried changing your shampoo and conditioner to a SLS free one as sometimes this can be the cause of "bacne." Hope this helps a bit x

Reactions: 2 people

sunshine84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes she doesn't have her own products but recommends lots. Depends on your budget as to what you fancy but there are loads of great products out there. If you read a lot of her cheat sheets she often warns acne sufferers that although you may have active spots and bumps, your skin might still be dehydrated, so don't dry it out too much or it will aggravate the acne further. I really like the REN and La Roche Posay lines. For some good acid toners to go on after your cleansers, Bravura (online only I think), do great salicylic and glycolic ones. If you're able to splash out a bit Liquid Gold by Alpha-H is amazing (but to be used sparingly otherwise your skin will not have nice time)!
I dont know if you've already tried Duac from your doctor but I found the benzyl peroxide worked well for me, but it's not for everyone.
Good advice with the shampoo Tumble, I've heard that a lot!
I could spend a fortune on skincare ;)
Hope you find some relief soon. xxx

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. Yep - switched to non-sls some time ago. I worry about some acne products as my skin is sensitive as well as the problem with the back acne. I hope Abby will see some results soon. The goats milk kefir feels like my last port of call as, over the years, I too have spent a lot of money fo different brands from bottom end to really expensive and nothing shifts it,

Abby's

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Riri what tablets did the doctor prescribe to you? It's anti androgen. I don't think the doctors really know how to treat acne, they just prescribe antibiotics or the pill. I am seeing a private dermatologist but it's very expensive!
Thanks Tumble! What shampoo and conditioner do you use? Sunshine the dermatologist also prescribed La roche products. They seem ok so far! So much cheaper than some of the products I have tried before! Have you tried differin cream? I was using duac but the doctor said it seems to be irritating my skin.

I know what you mean by spending a fortune on skin care!

Anyway hope you are having a nice Sunday x

sunshine84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah I havent tried differin but one of my friends had that. It's a retinol type cream though isnt it? I've got the la roche posay effeclar duo cream which I use after I've cleansed and used one of my toners. The REN clarifying clay cleanser is really nice. The clay is good for keeping the skin unblocked and it's quite creamy so doesnt dry you out.
Have a search for the Caroline Hirons you tube that she did with Dr Sam, they give loads of great advice.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hia Abby - 3 lots of different antibiotics (lymocycline was the last but all in that xxxxxcycline area - sorry don't remember the other names. They were low dose over months but the last lot completely screwed up my tum and then my diabetes went haywire so had to stop. Don't think my stomach has recovered since. Then I was referred to a dermotolgist who said the only thing for it was roaccutane. I'd read horror stories about this drug so after a few days between the drug (very strong) and my stress levels, my diabetes sky rocketed so it just wasn't worth - think I was heading for a&e with high ketones. My back is better again today so going down to their second open day next Friday to try and get a further 21 days course of kefir milk.

Tumble

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Negativity
Abby, I use the OGX range. There is usually some sort of offer on somewhere. There is quite a few out there on the high street to look at that may be a bit cheaper. Also another product that a few people at work swear by is Cetaphil and/or Sebabed. I think they are to help eczema and psoriasis but a lady I work with swears by them and it's the only thing that has got rid of her acne. You can get these from Savers at half the price. Have a look at Trilogy's Rosehip Oil, it's my go to product for bad skin.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I think it's the same with everything, what suits some people it doesn't others. I tried cetaphil and it worsened my acne but obviously it works for some of Tumbles colleagues. It's a nasty old condition as it can be caused by different things (menopause and diabetes combined they think in my case) and there isn't a one size fits all answer - very much like diabetes really!! It's pants!

sunshine84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I totally agree, everyone's skin reacts in different ways. The cetaphil is an interesting one as it is advertised for sensitive skins with conditions like acne but when you look at the ingredients list it's full of parabens and sulphates which are known triggers for acne and other sensitive skin types. I just bought the soap and glory ultimelt cleanser at the weekend and I'm really liking it. No nasty ingredients, not stripping but non-pore clogging (is that a phrase?!?) and washes off well with my trusty hot flannel!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

TyTy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
hi @Riri i was also told about the low carb diet , i did the newcastle diet maybe have look at this

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi Abby - just wandered how you are getting on with the goats milk and kefir? Hope all well with you :)

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@Abby's - how are you finding the kefir goats milk. Has it helped? Without a word of a lie the acne on my back has improved by about 70%. I went down for a further batch last week so I'll be starting my 3rd course this week without a break. Expensive but it does seem to be the only thing that's had results.cheers

Abby's

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Riri sorry I haven't been on here for a while. I am glad the goats milk worked for you. I finished the first supply but it didn't seem to make a difference. How many have you had now? Perhaps I should try it again. I am becoming so impatient and still spending so much money on useless products which seem to aggravate it. I am not sure if it is the heat that's causing it but it mostly seems to be around my mouth area. Keep me updated on your progress x

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some Tesco's stock Kefir and it is really cheap. You can also get it from Polish shops/grocers (59p at my local one for 400mL bottle). A friend uses it for her asthma and although it is early days for her she has not had to take any of her steroids since starting with the Kefir. I did try it but it sends my glucose higher than other things so don';t think it is for me. I had heard that it was good for diabetics but sadly not this one!

Libbaloo

Joining this thread rather late on. My daughter (19) has acne and going to derm on Tuesday for discussion re Roaccutane. She is not diabetic but does have at least one pre existing auto immune condition (Hashimotos hypothyroidism and poss Raynauds).

I am worried about more susceptibility to other Auto immune conditions if she take the roaccutane for 6 months (and at uni away from home)

Abby you said you thought Roaccutane caused your Type 1? I am worried my daughter could develop it later.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi Riri sorry I haven't been on here for a while. I am glad the goats milk worked for you. I finished the first supply but it didn't seem to make a difference. How many have you had now? Perhaps I should try it again. I am becoming so impatient and still spending so much money on useless products which seem to aggravate it. I am not sure if it is the heat that's causing it but it mostly seems to be around my mouth area. Keep me updated on your progress x
Hia Abby - just finishing 4th course. For me and my back acne its worked really well. Hope you find the solution x

Abby's

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would avoid Roaccutane. It might be ok if you have regular blood tests and are monitored. Riri I like the Chuckling goats milk! I am on my second course! Are you still taking it? Do you mix it with flaxseed oil? Have your acne completely gone? Mine has at the moment..

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Great news Abby. I'm in my 5th course. It's helped the acne and also my IBS seems to have gone completely. Are you going to keep taking it @Abby's

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For fading marks I find Clarins Skin Beauty Repair Concentrate really helps, so much so that I use it on healed grazes.

Abby's

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Riri that's great news! I am certainly going to keep taking it! I don't know why it's working or how but it's good! Thanks Celeriac Clarins sounds good! Do you have sensitive skin?x