How did you feel about switching onto injections?

Johnny-45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes /insulin/ sleep Apnoea / apart from that not bad lol
My doctor made me start with the insulin directly. Initially when my bg was already at lower side, taking insulin half an hour before having food I could actually feel it running inside my body. But I'm pretty used to it now :)
really that sounds pretty weid . my sugars are usally high . i felt a bit shakey and light headed so i checked my sugars and wow out of now where they dropped below 5 just had a bar choclate i feel a little beeter but still shakey abit .

maccathmhaoil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Medical persons who do not listen Heat
I was diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis and Type 2 Diabetes in 2006 Initially I was on Glipizide / Metformin / and a hand full of other pills for the MG and heart condition (I had an urgent triple bypass on New years day 2007 .) After a few months my blood sugars were all over the place. I was put on a a low dose of insulin 3 times a day. In the ensuing years my readings were in double figures. The medications I was on for both MG and Diabetes seemed to cancel each other out. My Mg got worse and the Diabetes also worsened. The GP increased the insulin dose. After a couple of years my insulin was increased to 70 units (Lantus) in the morning and 70 in the evening. I also take between 14 to 26 units of Novarapid three or 4 times a day depending on my blood readings.

My readings have been between 10 and 20 over the last 12 months. Last week my readings were between 5.7 and 8. at long last I seem to be getting some control. Using the needle daily is not a problem .

Reactions: 2 people

Janemm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I dread going on to insulin the pill are so easy to take.

Nick1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Started using Victoza September last year. Sceptical at first as my initial concern was that I had to stick a needle into some part of my body. Ouch!!! But after being shown by my Diabetic Nurse where to inject and the ease of setting up the pen it wasn't too bad at all! It is now part of my daily routine and couldn't be simpler! Have had a couple of bruises, but no side effects!
I'm still taking the tablets and the good news is my blood sugars have reduced, and with exercise, I have lost nearly 1 stone in weight!

Nick1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sooty2013. I was sceptical at first about the needles. I inject just below the waist line and hardly feel a thing; the needle isn't the largest available and helps! Yes, I have had a couple of bruises but nothing to worry about. You have nothing to worry about!

sarah74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Started using Victoza September last year. Sceptical at first as my initial concern was that I had to stick a needle into some part of my body. Ouch!!! But after being shown by my Diabetic Nurse where to inject and the ease of setting up the pen it wasn't too bad at all! It is now part of my daily routine and couldn't be simpler! Have had a couple of bruises, but no side effects!
I'm still taking the tablets and the good news is my blood sugars have reduced, and with exercise, I have lost nearly 1 stone in weight!
hi im due to start victoza next week, can you give me any tips? :)

Nick1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. There are no tips as such! All I can really say is that there is nothing to worry about; it's very easy to administer. You start off the lower dose for 2 weeks to get your body used to the drug, then go onto the next dose. I take my injection after my morning wash, below the waist line, and is now part of my daily routine.
I like the ease of putting the needle on and taking off; a quick turn and it's locked/unlocked into place!
Like I said there are no tips but I hope this helps and puts any reservations you had at ease.
Would love know how you get on

sarah74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. There are no tips as such! All I can really say is that there is nothing to worry about; it's very easy to administer. You start off the lower dose for 2 weeks to get your body used to the drug, then go onto the next dose. I take my injection after my morning wash, below the waist line, and is now part of my daily routine.
I like the ease of putting the needle on and taking off; a quick turn and it's locked/unlocked into place!
Like I said there are no tips but I hope this helps and puts any reservations you had at ease.
Would love know how you get on
I'm quite nervous about the whole process and the side affects,but its got to be done, will let you know on Wednesday after my teaching session with the diabetic nurse,keep ur fingers crossed for me!

Nick1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You will be fine. I was nervous when I met my nurse to discuss my first time, but when you're shown how simple it is your fears are put at ease.
I wish you all the best for Wednesday. My fingers are crossed for you.
Keep me posted

sarah74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You will be fine. I was nervous when I met my nurse to discuss my first time, but when you're shown how simple it is your fears are put at ease.
I wish you all the best for Wednesday. My fingers are crossed for you.
Keep me posted
Thank you nick will do, better try and get some sleep! Although not tired now! Bloody typical been hanging all day now wide awake. Thank u for the support

Pcaddc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Best thing since sliced bread . Lost just under 2 stone in 6 months. No excercise . Easy peasy to use no pain at all . Just pick time to suit you to inject . I set an alarm on my phone to remind me . 30seconds DONE . Good luck

Reactions: 5 people

sarah74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Best thing since sliced bread . Lost just under 2 stone in 6 months. No excercise . Easy peasy to use no pain at all . Just pick time to suit you to inject . I set an alarm on my phone to remind me . 30seconds DONE . Good luck
Thanks for the comment starting to fill a bit better with both your feedback

Nick1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How did your injection meeting with your diabetic nurse go? I hope everything is going okay and all your worries are laid to rest

sarah74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi nick, I posted on your page after I came back from seeing her, went really well, I didn't even feel the injection and I tested my blood this morning and it was 7 so I'm well impressed! A little bit nauseous but fingers crossed it will settle x

Karen51261

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am currently on metformin 1000 x 2 a day along with Gliclazide 80 x 2 a day, my sugar levels are creeping up and I have a feeling I might be heading for insulin. Can anyone confirm I heard that if on insulin you can no longer drive a people carrier, I am a childminder and drive a zafira for my business :(

Nick1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Karen. I'm on 850mg Metformin x 3 a day, Gliclazide x 2 a day, Simvastatin x 1 a day and 1.2 Victoza injection x 1 a day. I haven't heard anything about not driving except if on Gliclazide you will need to self-test your bloods to monitor your highs and lows. My sugar levels also crept up and up which is why I got put on the Victoza; and now after nearly a year I am seeing the results; sugar levels coming down to the lowest they have been for a long while and I am the lightest I have been for a very long time!
Hope this helps

Kjosh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I went on to insulin at end of April I am type 2 diabetic. I was dreading it but it is ok, I take my insulin at 6pm every night and it does not take long. My levels have dropped when I went to my review my glucose levels had gone from 91 down to 61 in 2an a half months and my weight down 4 kgs. Doing really well. Also trying a low carb diet have lowered intake of potatoes and rice and pasta and bread I am hoping to keep it up, also if I lose more weight I can lower the dose of insulin I take.

Kjosh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Karen when I went on insulin my doctor advised I had to tell the dvla which I have done but I have heard nothing yet. They advised if doctor hasn't told me to stop driving to carry on until I hear. If not on insulin if u r not prone to hypos then it should b ok.

Nick1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Kjosh. That's interesting as my Diabetic Nurse said I didn't have to tell DVLA. Testing my bloods was sufficient