What choc?

Runrig

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anyone have any ideas on which brand of dark chocolate is the best? I've read it's not all manufactured in the same way leading to some brands being more beneficial to good health than others.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No idea from a health point of view, but I really like some of the 100% ones that they do in Hotel Chocolat.

Reactions: 4 people

Jo123

I used to buy prestat dark chocolate which actually said it was higher in the good things than others of the same darkness! They don't do it now, I go for lindt 90% as being the lowest carb, they also do a lindt 100% which was even lower in carbs but it was twice the price and to be honest I prefer the 90%. Also I think that the higher cocoa percentage the better for you.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Anyone have any ideas on which brand of dark chocolate is the best? I've read it's not all manufactured in the same way leading to some brands being more beneficial to good health than others.

All the high cocoa content are good, Aldi do a 85% Dark Chocolate and the brand name is Moser Roth, each pack has 5 individual chocolate bars and each one has around 4g of carbs, it's one of the tastiest and cheapest brands on the market.

Lidl also do an extremely nice 70% Dark Chocolate with Caramel, the brand name is Ecuador and again its very good value for the money.

Reactions: 10 people

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All the high cocoa content are good, Aldi do a 85% Dark Chocolate and the brand name is Moser Roth, each pack has 5 individual chocolate bars and each one has around 4g of carbs, it's one of the tastiest and cheapest brands on the market.

Lidl also do an extremely nice 70% Dark Chocolate with Caramel, the brand name is Ecuador and again its very good value for the money.
Forgot about the Aldi one. I can second it tastes quite nice!

Reactions: 8 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I either have Green and Black's 85% dark chocolate or Lindt Orange and Almond.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I compromise with Lindt 85% dark chocolate as it's pretty low carb and lower calorie than some others bars, though my husband (non diabetic) had always proferred Green and Blacks. I did a comparison of both carbs and calories when was looking to choose what to try, the Lindt chocolate orange which my husband also suggested at one point was far too high carb for me - 49g carbs per 100g weight against 19g in the 85% bars.

I have to be a bit careful as dark choccie is also a potential migraine trigger for me - but the Lindt seems to be OK unless I have more than a couple of pieces and indulge in a load of cocoa the same day too.

Robbity

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I like lidls, green and blacks and also the coop own 85% one is very nice. In Shrewsbury, a chocolate shop has opened which sells really different bars of chocolate inc. Valrhona and other lesser known brands. Quite expensive but we do stock up when we visit but they are kept under lock and key!!!

Reactions: 5 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I made the mistake recently of buying a "98%" chocolate bar without reading the label properly and it turned out to be 98% chocolate, which of course is full of sugar. I should have looked for the cocoa content. Luckily I still have a Lindt 90% cocoa bar and Mrs DeeJay kindly agreed to take the naughty chocolate off my hands.

Reactions: 5 people

Barry Holt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Drivers who speed in built up areas
Forgot about the Aldi one. I can second it tastes quite nice!
Trouble with that particular bar of chocolate is that 1 square has as many carbs as a half of Llidl High Protein Roll I agree it's nice but for me half a Llidl roll will keep hunger away longer

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Trouble with that particular bar of chocolate is that 1 square has as many carbs as a half of Llidl High Protein Roll I agree it's nice but for me half a Llidl roll will keep hunger away longer
How many carbs are in the Lidl High Protein Rolls? I've seen the other thread about them but never gone in to it. The Aldi chocolate bars are only around 4-5g per bar.

IncyWincy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you live near an ASDA I have found their Extra Special 85% Ivory Coast & Dominican Republic Dark Chocolate bar to have the best flavour. It is divided into 10 squares. 2 Squares, according to the packet, contain 4.2g of carbohydrate. Price £1.50, weight 100g.

Barry Holt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
How many carbs are in the Lidl High Protein Rolls? I've seen the other thread about them but never gone in to it. The Aldi chocolate bars are only around 4-5g per bar.
Around 10g carbs per roll so half is very good and they are quite substantial and filling there's a picture somewhere on here so you know what they look like,but I think they are delicious

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Around 10g carbs per roll so half is very good and they are quite substantial and filling there's a picture somewhere on here so you know what they look like,but I think they are delicious
I'll maybe give them a try.

Barry Holt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Picture by Gezzabel under Lidl high protein rolls

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sainsburys do an own brand dark chocolate, individually wrapped in 5 bars (so good for portion control). lowest carbs I have found in chocolate bars (think its 4.2g total per bar - at work and chocolate is at home).
Birthday OR christmas I get a box of the Green and Blacks very small mini-taster bars and share one every few days with my OH (he has all the white one) Love G&B maya gold but limit to once a year

Runrig

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, guys, for all that info. You've all given me plenty of options to sample, and I'm sure at least one of those options has my name upon it. There's both an Aldi and an Asda store close to where I live, so I that's the chocci problem solved. :)