Lows

Agloy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am the mother of a newly diagnosed 10 yr old boy. What do you all use for lows when your on the go ? We have been using juice, jelly beans, starbursts. Any other ideas on something that works well for you ? Thanks !!

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Jelly babies are a firm favourite

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Full fat coke, about 200ml? dextro tablets are easy to carry though

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Jelly Babies here too, also keep some small tins of party-size full sugar Coke in the house in case of emergency.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use dates, though your son may not thank me for telling you that!

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
you basically use the best stuff............

juice will act quickest for the more severe lows........:)

MammaLucy

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a mum of a 9 year old son who was diagnosed a year ago and we use Fruit Pastels (7) sweets normally and Innocent smoothie drinks ( in cartons with a straw ) or Ribena in a plastic bottle ( not the fizzy one) . He has tried the dextrose tablets and glucojuice but really does not like them at all. Fizzy drinks are best as the carbonated bubbles help the sugar to be digested more easily but my son does not like fizzy drinks. An apple is handy too and any fruit juice. We keep bulk of his favourites in the fridge and have a selection at school too. I hope you are both doing well and send my heartfelt love to you at this difficult time of being the mother of a newly diagnosed son. Lots of luck
Lucy

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Only thing I ever have is a gulp of original lucozade, around 1/4 to 1/3 of a bottle

BrianInMidlands

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jelly babies(The proper Rowntrees ones) if I'm at home/work. Or Dextrose if out and about (easier to keep in my pocket!)
One thing that I have found is that its quite easy to have too many as I still feel rubbish for a little while until they kick in - and they taste so nice!
All the best.

Agloy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much for your thoughts and support :) we get our pump tomorrow so excited we get his pump tomorrow !! Nervous momma but happy for my lil boy.

kimbelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Juice boxes, raisins/cranberries/other preferred dried fruit, dextrose tablets, dextrose gel. Funnily enough the last one seems to be the least effective for me...! I avoid sweets because I have sensitive teeth and and it hurts if I have too many (plus they're not the healthiest option - of course!). My mum used to carry around a jar of jam or honey (nowadays you could easily take a squeezy bottle of honey with you). For some reason golden syrup doesn't work well at all for me (I can eat like 10 spoonfuls and still be low half an hour later), but I know for some it's great. Also plain sugar works just great, and can be easily carted in a jar/pot. Obviously with some of these you kind of need a spoon though.

Agloy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Juice boxes, raisins/cranberries/other preferred dried fruit, dextrose tablets, dextrose gel. Funnily enough the last one seems to be the least effective for me...! I avoid sweets because I have sensitive teeth and and it hurts if I have too many (plus they're not the healthiest option - of course!). My mum used to carry around a jar of jam or honey (nowadays you could easily take a squeezy bottle of honey with you). For some reason golden syrup doesn't work well at all for me (I can eat like 10 spoonfuls and still be low half an hour later), but I know for some it's great. Also plain sugar works just great, and can be easily carted in a jar/pot. Obviously with some of these you kind of need a spoon though.