Let us celebrate our Hypo situations

AlisonH

I have been T1 for 25 years and would like to share hypo memories that make me laugh for many reasons. Please share yours and let us all celebrate our T1 hypo lives through humour.

My top 6 are:

1. One of my best hypos was in a club; I tried to hit my boyfriend on the dancefloor. He put me over his shoulder like a fireman, took me home, wrapped me tightly in a duvet and fed me sugar.

2. I lost a job because I told an MD that he was asking me stupid questions. I was walking along a corridor dropping photocopied reports with each step.

3. I have rolled around on a pavement trying to get into my bag. A couple of old ladies stopped and helped.

4. I once laughed so much that my Mum looked very worried.

5. I escaped a day long hypo by crawling out of my house naked and making weird hypo noises. Neighbours came to see what was happening. They found the fridge open and all contents on the floor.

6. During a meeting at work I got fascinated by the sweat dropping off my fingertips. A first-aider thought I was an epileptic and called an ambulance. They tried to cancel the ambulance.

Reactions: 9 people
M

mammamia2006

I once got fired from a job for having a hypo. Job was in a kitchen so plenty of sugary things but when I asked if I could take something as my bgl was dropping, I was told in no uncertain terms to leave as I obviously couldnt handle the job.

I laughed my head of when the company went bust and the woman ended up working for me when I became supervisor of a cleaning company, guess who was on toilet duty for a month??

Number 6 there got me, I get fascinated by the sweat and trace it along my hands, thats when hubby knows its below 2.

Have also had hubby phoning me as I had text him and he didnt understand a word of it, he also didnt understand a word of what I said on phone, needless to say he left work early that day lol

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running
I once got fired from a job for having a hypo. Job was in a kitchen so plenty of sugary things but when I asked if I could take something as my bgl was dropping, I was told in no uncertain terms to leave as I obviously couldnt handle the job.

I laughed my head of when the company went bust and the woman ended up working for me when I became supervisor of a cleaning company, guess who was on toilet duty for a month??

Number 6 there got me, I get fascinated by the sweat and trace it along my hands, thats when hubby knows its below 2.

Have also had hubby phoning me as I had text him and he didnt understand a word of it, he also didnt understand a word of what I said on phone, needless to say he left work early that day lol

Sorry bout this but i'm new to this. I've had 4 hypos in 3 days. Should i be worried?

kimbelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm glad some people have funny stories! Most of mine are pretty mundane tales of mooching around in a daze trying not to eat the entire contents of the fridge. I have some "conceal, don't feel" ones too where I have tried to carry on with a performance (I'm a singer/pianist) with a hypo. I'd love to have seen some videos of those to see if I actually carried it off... Those were all part of a band though; if i'm performing solo I run my sugars high so I can rule out hypos otherwise I'm pretty sure I'd have to stop the show!

Reactions: 4 people

soroba1951

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people!
Certainly some cheerful stories! Think my daftest one, out of many, was when I put the milk and the butter in the tumble drier and the wet clothes in the fridge! When hypo sorted, imagine the mess of melted butter in drier, took ages to clean!

Reactions: 8 people

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
By far my funniest is when I went hypo and went to get a biscuit. The biscuit tin is next to my mirror downstairs. Without realising in my hypo mind I picked up the mirror and took it upstairs with me. My mum couldn't stop laughing at me for it I was so upset that I'd grabbed the wrong thing haha!

Reactions: 7 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sorry bout this but i'm new to this. I've had 4 hypos in 3 days. Should i be worried?

Hi Margaret - do you know what's causing your hypos ? Prevention better than cure and all that. Shouldn't be too worried I think everyone has their own unique experiences with hypos, mine have mostly been boring mundane take sugar and recover, nothing too extreme, but also not as funny as most of these, but then you can laugh about hypo's after the event normally !

Reactions: 2 people

mooshk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fataphobia, Ableism, Sexism, Racism, Patriarchy. Most right wing fools.
Type 1 for 21 years. These are hilarious. i'll add mine.

1) Hypoing whist skyping my friend (she was in Turkey). Got completely naked and ran round the laptop singing. She had to phone my mum and get my brother and Grandad to come and sort me out.

2) Sticking my hands down my knickers in front of 2 ambulance people, much to their horror.

3) Screaming "Facist pig c***s" at police men trying to work out what I was doing.

4) Stealing a mars bar and cackling like a witch in tescos.

The list goes on :)

Reactions: 6 people