Exhausted

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi everyone

I know I have read many time people get tired with d. For me it was a massive part of being diagnosisd as I was only really wake about6 hours a day of that. Since then I have always struggled with it. Any types on things that might have worked for people? I just get a bit sad sometimes because the world is passing me by and I am a sleep. Sad message from me tonight but I guess we all have our days

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Blood sugar level plays a big part in how you feel tiredness wise.

too high and sleepy , lethargy kick in.

the same can happen below 4.0

it is really important to try to keep levels in that ideal range 4.5 -9.0 as much of the time as possible.

If you are already doing this possibly there is something else going on and you should see your GP armed with your testing results

shaggy1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd say I lost about 10 years of my life due to tiredness, despite having good control of my bg levels My energy came back when I switched back to animal insulin, I also quit bread as it knocks me flat out, you could have an intolerance to something you're eating Also,have you had your iron levels checked? There is a link between diabetes and anemia, low levels can cause tiredness.

Reactions: 4 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It could be your blood sugar level as has been said. Likewise, I feel much less tired on a low carb diet, giving up the bread and muesli felt weird at first but now I wouldn't go back to them. A while after my diabetes diagnosis, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and now I take thyroxine tablets every day. Hypothyroidism is linked to feeling shattered. There are several possibilities, and you can't be putting up with this extreme tiredness! Maybe ask your GP to try and find the cause and treat it? I remember that this level of fatigue used to make me feel very low, so I really sympathise and wish you all the best for getting it sorted. ;)

Reactions: 3 people

zjed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lazy Doctors and Endos
I don't think tiredness is a consequence of T1 if you have reasonable control. I'd be looking for other causes like the few mentioned above.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It could be your blood sugar level as has been said. Likewise, I feel much less tired on a low carb diet, giving up the bread and muesli felt weird at first but now I wouldn't go back to them. A while after my diabetes diagnosis, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and now I take thyroxine tablets every day. Hypothyroidism is linked to feeling shattered. There are several possibilities, and you can't be putting up with this extreme tiredness! Maybe ask your GP to try and find the cause and treat it? I remember that this level of fatigue used to make me feel very low, so I really sympathise and wish you all the best for getting it sorted. ;)

I agree with @lizdeluz. I too suffer from Hypothyroidism and think can make you feel really quite tired if not treated...another symptom is that you can feel cold a lot of the time. I would get yourself to the doctor and get some tests done...if your blood sugars are under control...could well be a vitamin deficiency or something simple...it's worth checking.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you all. I have been going to the gps for about 6 years with it believe it or not they say I am just tired. In a weeks time I am going for an intolerance test again gps refused me one so I am going private as I feel that will help. It's the type of tiredness that when you wake up you feel so tired you need more sleep. I am quite an out and about person and I do give myself permission to sleep but man it sucks after a while. My diabetes is controlled but I do feel more tired when I have those poo days of hypos or hyper but they are becoming more rare. I had not heard of the condition mentioned so i try and do some investigating. According to latest tests my iron and vitamins are fine so onward with the quest I think. I really appreciate all ideas thank you

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Have you looked at ME/chronic fatigue syndrome? Any chance the insulin you are on is causing the problem, perhaps rule that out as well.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks guys yeh I have been tested for me but no. Chronic fatigue I was diagnosed at 15 with but they did no tests for it so I am not sure about it anymore. I was on hum alog now nova rapid so I think I'll ask. I am waiting for a new appointment with a consultant at Newcastle who is meant to be very good so fingers crossed