Effects of stopping smoking??!!!

andyfreud

Hi everybody :D i stopped smoking four months ago and am just coming to the end of using the patches :lol: very happy about this but not happy with my bs levels. Prior to stopping smoking my consultant congratulated me as my H1bc was 6 :D now, my sugars are constantly high even though i have upped my nightime lantus (glargine) from 19 to 24. I am waking up in the morning high (9)and in the evenings i can take a correction dose of my novarapid an hour after eating to counteract me being at say 14; check it an hour later and i'm at 15??!!! I'm feeling tired and really ****** :? :( has anyone else noted that stopping smoking has affected them this way. I'm even eating less carbs than i used to. Occasionally i will guesstimate carb content wrong but always check it an hour later to do a corrective dose. I have put about half a stone on in weight but as i was boderline underweight previously i am not concerned about this. I don't usually use my diabetes team at the hospital because i've always been able to sort it myself previously.

Could someone please give me some advice :) thanks for taking the time for reading this,
Andyfreud

Rach79

Dislikes
Poverty, violence, manipulative or materialistic people and too much bad weather such as wind and rain.
Hi andyfreud! Well firstly congratuations for managing to stop smoking. I personally don't smoke but I have constantly watched my brother, father and friends try to give up and fail many times. My mum used to smoke during pregnacy and when we were young but watched how it affected us when she saw it through the rays of sun streaming through the window and stopped immediately. My father has finally managed to stop and my brother has managed so far but is struggling especially when he goes out at night. One of the downsides of stopping is that you do put on weight unfortunately. This is due to the fact your metabolic rate has slowed down a lot, so fat gets stored easier. Also when you smoke (so my family has said) you tend not to be so hungry so you tend to eat more when you stop, which is why the weight piles on. I'm wondering if you're raised sugar levels could be because of this, or combined with the fact you are anxious because you've stopped so maybe more adrenaline is produced which therefore would release glucose from your liver. Maybe take a look at your eating habits prior to when you stopped smoking - and taking a look at them now. Are they different in anyway? Also could these be affecting your glucose levels? Also stress and being anxious can raise sugar levels too - are these a contributing factor? I'm not doing too great with my diabetes control in general but I have had diabetes for many years and I would take all the above into consideration. Also because your metabolic rate has slowed down maybe your body takes longer to digest all the sugar so the levels rise and insulin doesn't act as well? Although I'm not sure if that could be a case really but it's a possibility. Maybe keep a diary and aim to exercise a bit more to speed up your metabolic rate and help you lose the weight. I love rambling or walking but maybe the gym could be for you or tennis with a mate or something? I know exercise always helps lower my blood sugars and sometimes I find my control is a lot better when I exercise. Also I always have more energy after exercise too so a brisk morning walk or post work gym session would possibly benefit you?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi andy freud
smoking makes you digestive system less efficient. So when you stop, you improve your ability to extract nutrients from your food.
the sad answer to your problem is "Eat less". Not easy if you are already someone who eats sparingly

lilibet

Hi Andy

When you noticed you were higher two hours after eating, this can happen with some meals where there is a delay - ie if you ate something creamy. Its known as the pizza effect. Also, meters do vary, though usually by . something rather than a whole mmol but as you are finding out, this bloody condition does not abide by the rules. Oh, for two days the same! :twisted: Also, if your basal is not set correctly (ie high enough) then it will make your rapid acting harder to sort. But if Novorapid is not bringing you down within an hour then dont be worried about asking to change it.
Also, some find lantus works better split though its not the common medical 'way' to do it.

However, maybe the nicotine is still coming out of your system and its causing your body chemicals to be wonky still causing the high bg.

BSR

I was told in 1992 by the CAA in UK that they would not allow me a Class I medical certificate unless I stopped smoking. I weighed in at 16 st. I packed it in did cold turkey no problem. during the next 8 years I put on 6 st in wewight developed diabetes and the rest is history.

itslindy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who complicate life unnecessarily. Bureaucracy.
I stopped smoking in February (for Lent). I'm still smoke-free and currently hating every minute of it :evil: ! God help me through these next six weeks (I'm a teacher and on summer holiday). I need a cigarette! Maybe going back to smoking will mean that I'll lose the weight I've gained :(

Lindy

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
I stopped smoking in 2004 after an 18 year habit - hypnotherapy by the way, just one session - and have definitely noticed I eat more since, but always knew that would be a benefit. I am 6'3" and could not get my weight above 12 stone. Since 2004 I am finally back to 14 stone, which is ideal for me, and interestingly the weight I was when I started smoking...

I have no self control whatsoever, really wanted to give up, but also enjoyed my cigarettes, so constantly failed in my attempts to kick the habit. That's why I was prepared to "look outside the box" and consider hypnotherapy. Very expensive at £250, but definitely worth it. I am now the archetypal ex-smoker, woe betide anyone who lights up within kicking distance. :twisted:

john.t5

I stopped over 6 months ago and feel a hundred times better, still miss the pleasurable fags sometimes but don't miss the ones I 'need' i.e. 19 out of the 20 in a day. I haven't really noticed any effect on my BS levels, they have been a bit erratic over the past year anyway.
Anyone wanting to stop or wondering why they have stopped should read this link, the info in it has stuck with me and really helped me abstain from smoking again - even having one!!

http://whyquit.com/pr/092505.html

micky.p

I stopped smoking about 7years ago 40 aday ish for about 34years i have to admit i feel loads better for it and i am sure it is helping my diabetes also saving me a fortune .I used patches for about 6weeks then it was cold turkey i have never touched one since but there are times when i could murder for one that's when willpower comes in anyone trying to give up i wish you the best of luck :D