Readings at diagnosis

birchy66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine was 27 mmol/L and feeling very weak, thirsty, peeing a lot and vomiting the night before I was admitted to hospital with DKA, also had blurred vision which amusingly I kept going to the optician about.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, long time ago now, but it was in the high 30's. and I travelled hundreds of miles, on two coaches ( on my own) to visit my sister up in the North East,:oops: :wideyed:

MadCath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine was 61 when I was admitted to hospital, it was too high to register on a meter so was done via an arterial line. I was in a coma for quite a long time and wasn't expected to survive. Ironically I'm insulin sensitive and spend most of my time these days running low, but I'm still much more scared of highs than hypos.

Reactions: 2 people

GavinG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mines was 28.5...I was really thirsty...drinking water all the time...up all night running to the toilet then waking up with my tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth! !! I lost nearly 2 stone in two weeks....I work in a hospital so I got one of the nurses to check my blood sugar. ...I think she was more shocked about it than I was!

Emjay1581

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was recovering from a cold so I had been drinking lots of fluids (juices) and urinating. Something just clicked in my head one day and I asked a friend who had a glucose meter if I could test. My sugar was 21.8. I called and arranged an appointment for a Hb1Ac. Which came back with a 98 (15.1).

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
39 I was only fourteen and had a terrible thrist at school and drank three bottles of irn bru in my English class! My mother is a nurse of 30 years and after explaining to her what happened she bought home a urine test and rushed me to a&e. The doctors where amazed I was walking and I had lost two and a half stone never felt so better as when I got my first insulin shot

vix107

14.8 fasting with a diagnosis I was type 2 because according to my ex GP 'at 34 years old I was too old to be type 1' despite having lost nearly 2 stone in 3 months!! Luckily myself & my sister work in the local hospital & disagreed with the GPS diagnosis, my sister is a secretary to the diabetic consultant, who I was very fortunate to see on the same day, my ketones were 4.7. I was given a novorapid pen & give myself my first injection of insulin plus pints & pints of water to flush the ketones out of me 6 hours later I was let out of hospital got home & phoned to cancel the 2 wk all inclusive holiday to Rhodes I was supposed to be going on the following day....if I'd listened to my GPS decision things my have been very different. Possibly having DKA on holiday in a foreign country may not have had a happy ending!! On 05/09/15 it'll be my one year anniversary, it hasn't been easy but I consider myself lucky & hope maybe one day I can say 'I had diabetes'
I fid it ridiculous when you get tol you are too young or too old to have something wrong in your body that's like saying I cant have cancer because im not 40!!! stupid eh??!! x

olala

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had 28, lost over 22 kg, hba1c=12%. My sight completely changed, I couldn't wear my glasses and I couldn't see too much either (fun times ;)
Thirsty all the time, I was even anxious when the source of water was away, peeing accordingly.
The fun part was, I got to the GP and they sent me to hospital, but saying it's ok to get there in 2 days, when I'd solve insurance issues. Not giving me anything, just saying two more days is ok. (sic!) Than it was hospital for 5 days.

ps. my sight was the funniest part of getting into normal again: after changing to bad, it changed again so much, I didn't need any glasses for next 4,5 months and then suddenly it got to the place from before and now I'm wearing glasses as I used to. However it showed me how convenient it is to live without them.

warriorpete

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
24.2 and a HbA1c of 91. On metformin now and down below 10 but still not 4-7 regularly

Kelsey140197

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine was the same 44 , only symptoms were increased thirst and the weight lost and feeling tired , and when went to the doctors tod that didn't think that it would be type 1 because of my age

Last edited by a moderator:

vinylandtrinkets

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
diagnosed in March this year, mine was 29.9 the day the dr took it in the surgery, symptoms were thirsty all the time, weeing all the time gained 3 stone in weight over 2/3 months lost 3 stone in 2 weeks,hba1c was 97, ketone +5, my vision was complete nightmare for over a month trying to get its anywhere where i could see , felt like i was dying, but i was stubbon and didnt want to go to hospital so stuck it out at home, knowing what i know now , i can see how stupid i was! was taking glik & metaformin, now on high ish dose of metaformin, hba1c 40 2 weeks ago

my hubby was diagnosed 3 weeks ago ( must be something in the water at our house) bg was 26.7, hba1c 107, no symptoms other then increased thirst and weeing.
on metaformin awaiting to see DN

TyTy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Diagonsed with type 2 April 2015 April HBA1C - 96 (10.9) Blood sugar at April- 14.6

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running
Mine was 23. Felt fine apart from loosing weight, running to the toilet and blurred vision.

GrannyAnnie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Know-it-all's!!!!!!!
Hi, this is my first time on here, so please be gentle with me! I was diagnosed T2 3 years ago on 24th of July. I was told my BG was 5.7 after fasting and doing glucose test!! I had been told I was prediabetic a few months before. I knew nothing about BG levels and just accepted what they told me. I didn't believe I was diabetic so carried on as usual and was told I had 'perfect control' for the next 2 years!! I had no symptoms except that I was fairly tired most of the time. I had gained about a stone, so I put it down to that. (I was already well over weight before the extra stone). I saw the dietitian for a whole year and she was happy as my weight had stayed the same for that year! I had a knee replacement in March last year and lost a stone without even trying. I still had no symptoms and was in still unconvinced that I was diabetic. Then, in March this year I went for my pre op checks to have my other knee replaced. The next morning I got a phone call from the hospital telling me that they could not do my op as my diabetes was out of control and my Hba1c was 82 ! ! (up till then it had been around 48-52). I had been on Metformin for about a year. I am now on 2x 1g of slow release Metformin, 2x gliclazide twice a day and 1x Sitagliptin per day. I am taking my BG up to 8 times a day and, after 3 months and several hypos, I am averaging a BG of between 5 and 6.5 I have also managed to lose another 8Lbs in weight. I won't find out when my knee op might happen until I have a Hba1c done on July 27th. If it's 69 or under, I will be put back on the list. I am still confused about carbs, but I think I must be doing something right as BG has gone down (my worst BG was 23.4). If I had not been given a blood meter early on when I asked for one, I don't know how I would have sorted my BG out!! I was told to only test once a week at first! But I did it a bit more than that some times. I learned a few of the things that put my BG up, and so I watched those foods and kept them to a minimum. But one thing I can't understand is, Why is it that my BG on most morning's is higher than it was before bedtime??

cillabrown909

On the day of diagnosis my mum tested my blood (she is type 1 also) as she noticed symptoms when I returned from uni, they were 27, however later on in a&e they had gone up to 46 as far as I remember, I lost about 3 stone in 4 months, slept about 16 hours a day as was exhausted, suffered with leg cramps and was constantly thirsty and needing the loo

Brownie1993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, this is my first time on here, so please be gentle with me! I was diagnosed T2 3 years ago on 24th of July. I was told my BG was 5.7 after fasting and doing glucose test!! I had been told I was prediabetic a few months before. I knew nothing about BG levels and just accepted what they told me. I didn't believe I was diabetic so carried on as usual and was told I had 'perfect control' for the next 2 years!! I had no symptoms except that I was fairly tired most of the time. I had gained about a stone, so I put it down to that. (I was already well over weight before the extra stone). I saw the dietitian for a whole year and she was happy as my weight had stayed the same for that year! I had a knee replacement in March last year and lost a stone without even trying. I still had no symptoms and was in still unconvinced that I was diabetic. Then, in March this year I went for my pre op checks to have my other knee replaced. The next morning I got a phone call from the hospital telling me that they could not do my op as my diabetes was out of control and my Hba1c was 82 ! ! (up till then it had been around 48-52). I had been on Metformin for about a year. I am now on 2x 1g of slow release Metformin, 2x gliclazide twice a day and 1x Sitagliptin per day. I am taking my BG up to 8 times a day and, after 3 months and several hypos, I am averaging a BG of between 5 and 6.5 I have also managed to lose another 8Lbs in weight. I won't find out when my knee op might happen until I have a Hba1c done on July 27th. If it's 69 or under, I will be put back on the list. I am still confused about carbs, but I think I must be doing something right as BG has gone down (my worst BG was 23.4). If I had not been given a blood meter early on when I asked for one, I don't know how I would have sorted my BG out!! I was told to only test once a week at first! But I did it a bit more than that some times. I learned a few of the things that put my BG up, and so I watched those foods and kept them to a minimum. But one thing I can't understand is, Why is it that my BG on most morning's is higher than it was before bedtime??
There's something called the dawn phenomenon (read up on it), where your BG level takes a rise in the morning. That could explain why your BG levels are higher in the morning than before bed. And the more you sleep in, the higher your levels!