Newcastle diet starting Monday, done it once who gonna join me on my journey??

telandy

Just come back from the doctors after three months blood sugar control and it was 6.8 (without any medication for three months) - 3 months ago it was 8.9. The doctor asked me what I had done, so I told him about ND and he said great, now I have a target to get it lower in the next three months. His recommendations was to try and keep it at the same level, but we know it can reduce further. Within the three months I was four weeks on ND and then had a wedding, suffered from Heyfever, had a few international business trips, completed a university assignment and spent the best part of six weeks trying to keep the diet going as best I could. What I will do now is another four weeks on ND hard and to the letter, however I have two business trips coming up and another assigment to write but I am hopeful to start seeing some good figures again in four weeks or so. Weightwise I have lost about 6.5KG (down to 93.5) from about 100kg but I am still having readings of 9.0 in the morning. The most difficult bit is the evening, when I do get peckish and want something to eat before bed. How are other people doing, I miss the daily banter from Steve50!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Readings of 9 are really not good at any time to be honest. Are you low carbing?
What do you eat in the evening as that will impact your fasting readings a lot.

Reactions: 2 people

telandy

Hi

Readings of 9 are really not good at any time to be honest. Are you low carbing?
What do you eat in the evening as that will impact your fasting readings a lot.
To be honest I have been snacking some evenings, slice of toast or some crisps, the first four weeks were good and I stuck to ND to the letter I saw morning figures come down to 7-8, perhaps in the 6 range some mornings, I can't remember, but I am determined to get back on the rails. In all honestly I have a lot going on in my life at the moment, besides work and ND and stress levels are pretty high.Strategy is to drink water in the evenings to relieve the hunger pains

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
politics, religion, intolerance
To be honest I have been snacking some evenings, slice of toast or some crisps, the first four weeks were good and I stuck to ND to the letter I saw morning figures come down to 7-8, perhaps in the 6 range some mornings, I can't remember, but I am determined to get back on the rails. In all honestly I have a lot going on in my life at the moment, besides work and ND and stress levels are pretty high.Strategy is to drink water in the evenings to relieve the hunger pains
Hi Telandy

I met with an endocrinologist yesterday - who was very interested in the NP. She said it was particularly difficult to drop the weight so quickly and admired anyone who could do it. I guess needs must!

It seems you are making good progress - but you say yourself it is a work in progress. I will be interested to hear how the 4 weeks - then a break - then another 4 weeks goes. I guess the main thing is you reach your goal.

I still have some weight to go - just 2 1/2 kg - to reach my target - but all the time I am reaching for that I seem to be able to manage my weight quite well. I have not rebounded from 84 to 85 - but now go between the two.

I'll see my GP shortly to see what he has to day about it all!!

I to miss the daily banter. :cool:

Reactions: 4 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I would be interested in continuing to join this thread as a post NP participant - I find it helps keep my weight watching on track.

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would be interested in continuing to join this thread as a post NP participant - I find it helps keep my weight watching on track.
I keep an eye on it too, but post in the "transition to real food post ND" now.

telandy

What I want to do is exercise more, I have really stopped and will have a go at this one minute blast, My life is pretty complex, Birthday party tonight, a dinner tomorrow, business dinners on Monday and Tuesday next week, so for me its work in progress I need to lose another 10-15 kg (ideal weight is 78KG) so lets see. hard ND, followed by trying to keep myself on as good as a track as I can. My job is part of the reason I have diabetes and I got pretty angry with the company when I was diagnosed two years ago. Now I can see a way ouit so that is fantastic.

Three or four of you have you seamed to have suceeded with the ND, is there anyone else in the eight week cycle? Come on join in, change of clothes, shower of to a birthday party and I know there will be loads of food there.... help! Just need to be sensible.

Reama

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been following this thread, too, and have missed the regular postings. I keep getting a few days in, and then losing it to stress and hunger. I haven't really been posting, as I've been trying to do it with real food from the get-go, to avoid what for me, would be a very difficult transition...I think I'd go crazy with it if I hadn't already developed different eating habits.

Reama

Reactions: 3 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What I want to do is exercise more, I have really stopped and will have a go at this one minute blast, My life is pretty complex, Birthday party tonight, a dinner tomorrow, business dinners on Monday and Tuesday next week, so for me its work in progress I need to lose another 10-15 kg (ideal weight is 78KG) so lets see. hard ND, followed by trying to keep myself on as good as a track as I can. My job is part of the reason I have diabetes and I got pretty angry with the company when I was diagnosed two years ago. Now I can see a way ouit so that is fantastic.

Three or four of you have you seamed to have suceeded with the ND, is there anyone else in the eight week cycle? Come on join in, change of clothes, shower of to a birthday party and I know there will be loads of food there.... help! Just need to be sensible.
@mohanankur is presently on nd, I know a few more people who were but not sure if they are still on it or not.

mohanankur

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ok, here is my update on ND. So, I have just started 4rth week now. All, seems to be going okay so far. I miss food (A lot) as I expected. My Fasting is always 4.1, sleep time it is near 4 as well. Saw some 3.9s and a couple of times 3.8s.

I have lost around 5 KG so far roughly, starting at 62.6, around 57.6 now. So, something seems to be working. But its not possible to check if these numbers are due to the very low calorie intake or there has been some improvement in my Insulin secretion rate as well. When I started ND my fasting was many a times not too bad as well (but high) like early 5s on LCHF.

After the shake, about 1 hour later I still peak to 5.8s sometimes which i kind of makes me think if at all there is an improvement in my 1st phase insulin response. But anyhow, I am just going on hoping for some good results. I would not say my ND has been perfect so far, in last 3 weeks I had 3 eggs, may be about 50 grams of salted peanuts, and thats mostly it. And then the regular shakes and 2 portion of salad a day. Overall I have been below 800 Cals a day for sure.

Happy to see early 4's numbers on fasting most of the time but also worried they may be shortlived till I am on ND.

Weight target is 15% of diagnosis which is 52 something, which I may achieve given I have more than 4 weeks to go, even though I would hate me looking in mirror as that as I will be borderline underweight at that level. But i guess it will be worth it If I can eat relatively normally, without medication and with decent BG numbers till I turn 40 something.

Wildrover

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Glad to keep you here, we need ( I ) need the advice and help,
Finished the NP last week and BG varies only between bottom 6s and bottom 7s and all because I've learnt to use my meter, have not gotten around to much "real" food as I suffer the consequences of spending too much time on the loo BUT I've learnt that it is a " Lifestyle change" and will live with it

Polly99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi telandy, think i'm about the same stage as you.
I followed Geordie's original thread a couple of years ago and stuck with the whole 8 weeks perfectly with two social lunches I couldn't get out of. But on both of those occasions it was easy to take the salad option, drink water and not feel like i'd blown it.

This time I was fine for the first 4 weeks, then had a check with the practice nurse and had planned a day off following that. Again seemed to work but I've been mixing ND with some real eating and it's not working. So, like you, i'm going to have a go at getting properly back on track.

The first time I did the ND I went from 15st 2lbs to 12st 8lbs and bloods of 13 down to 3.9 before breakfast. So I know it works. I started this time at 14st 4lbs and bloods at 21, my vision was getting blurry and that scared me into action. Four weeks in my weight was 13-3 and bloods were 4.0, so again all working well.

Reading all I can about LCHF as this time I need a real plan for post-ND. Last time I intended doing a 5:2 but could never commit to the fast days - totally pathetic when ND (sometimes) seemed so easy!

Reactions: 13 people

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on day 6 of a real food ND. Sticking strictly to 800 calories a day and not finding it too bad. As expected, it is the weekend that has been the hardest but I'm doing alright. Having cod with roast veg for late lunch/early dinner today.

Tomorrow will probably be difficult as I've got 7 hours of travelling plus a meeting - for obvious reasons I won't be able to drink my usual amount of water to keep me full up so I may find it hard going.

I'm already seeing some improvement in my blood sugars, but it's early days yet so fingers crossed it is onwards and.......downwards

Reactions: 9 people

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi PS

Not sure how you will be travelling but I found the train was ok. At least there was a loo! Otherwise hot drinks seem to keep me going for a bit longer than cold drinks. Day 7 is a landmark. Hang in.

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Steve50 you're not wrong about day 7 being a landmark. FBG this morning of 4.5!! I even tested again to make sure and it was 4.8. Prior to starting ND they were usually in the high 6s and sometimes into 7. Over the last week they have dropped to high 5s but this morning was a big drop. After a bad night's sleep I would actually have expected my FBG to be higher than the last few days.

I am delighted and it's nice to share the news with people who understand how fantastic it is to see a 4 on waking!!

Reactions: 12 people

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great results and the same sort as I achieved too...it's a great morale boost when you start to doubt if you can stick it out.

sazzy19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone, can I ask about the Newcastle diet, forgive my ignorance as I've only just heard about it but how does it differ from other calorie controlled diet shakes? Does it have to be optifast? I've got a lot to lose & as a newly diagnosed my blood sugars are quite high but I'm only testing at work as they won't give me a machine. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, can I ask about the Newcastle diet, forgive my ignorance as I've only just heard about it but how does it differ from other calorie controlled diet shakes? Does it have to be optifast? I've got a lot to lose & as a newly diagnosed my blood sugars are quite high but I'm only testing at work as they won't give me a machine. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks
There is a thread on the topic of the various shakes elsewhere on the forum that may help: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/which-drink-product-newcastle-diet.79165/#post-886407

You can find all details of the protocol at the Newcastle Uni site: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

There is also a very good lecture by Prof Taylor about how the diet works: http://www.fend-lectures.org/index.php?menu=view&id=94

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

I did not use shakes at all and just used real food just not much of it and plenty of tea. "Drink tea there is always tea". The key is the reduced calories so you burn fat but enough so you do not go into starvation mode. It is worth doing and there really isn't much to lose as it is just a few weeks out of your life (oh and plenty of money for new clothes). I have lost abound 8 stone in total and about 6 since diagnosis and starting my determined weight loss (the first 2st was probably my body slipping into being diabetic and I didnt realise as I changed nothing and just lost 2 stone)

sazzy19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did not use shakes at all and just used real food just not much of it and plenty of tea. "Drink tea there is always tea". The key is the reduced calories so you burn fat but enough so you do not go into starvation mode. It is worth doing and there really isn't much to lose as it is just a few weeks out of your life (oh and plenty of money for new clothes). I have lost abound 8 stone in total and about 6 since diagnosis and starting my determined weight loss (the first 2st was probably my body slipping into being diabetic and I didnt realise as I changed nothing and just lost 2 stone)

That's an amazing amount of weight loss, how long did it take? I'm trying to work out what's the best thing to do. I'm not sure whether just to wait til I attend the Desmond day & see what they suggest. Was it any type of tea? I can't stand it, im a massive coffee drinker but I can occasionally stomach a flavoured green tea or a fruit infusion, are they ok? Thanks