Advice on numbness/pinsandneedles/burning feet

Curly604

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Just after some quick advice please

I do have an appointment with my diabetic nurse and consultant in 10days so will discuss with them of course.

Every day without fail I have some form of numbness or pins and needles or now a burning sensation in my legs mainly feet.

Right now my feet are burning so much (ladies it feels like I have been wearing my highest heels for about 5days straight.)

It has got to the point where I have now soaked my soaks in cold water and put on just for some relief.

I have very good control of blood sugar levels.

I do very regular exercise and generally in good health!

Any advice would be welcomed I am starting to stress and pull my hair out now

Thank you

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That sounds really uncomfortable @Curly604, why not try and get in and see your Dr tomorrow and see what they have to say, you can still mention the problem at your diabetes clinic appointment if the symptoms don't improve.

Reactions: 3 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
don't want to blame the diabetes straight away ( although a possible suspect )

what sort of shoes do you wear -- are they comfortable ?
do you do a lot of walking ?

does it happen randomly or in the evenings mainly ?

Curly604

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i have tried to get an appiontment but nothing till monday.

I agree i also dont want to assume diabetes related but always a concern.

I have always worn the same style flip flops (for as long as possible in the year) for years and never had any issues.

I do a lot of walking/run and have decent trainers for this

It happens randomly in the day but most intense in the evening

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
humble opinion time now ........

flip flops are not the greatest footwear in the world

the intense bit in the evening is a worry-- seems to occur then more often if related to neuropathy :(

you mention very good control of BG's -- is this fairly recent -- or for many years ?

as a change ( lowering ) can trigger temporary neuropathy

Reactions: 2 people

Curly604

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Completely agree with the flip flop thing and I know that is what they will say to change but I have never worn anything different.

Was only diagnosed in April and within a week I had a tight control on BG'S and they have been consistent since

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ok -- so at most 11 weeks ago -- that would definitely indicate that your feet are reacting to the lowering in BG's in a fairly short space of time.
this would give much hope that this is temporary and will fade over time with continued good control

all the best !

Reactions: 4 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello. I've been diagnosed one year and also had this. Very scary. I find that if go high it happens after, but then dies down. Which I guess is the temporary neuropathy mentioned above as blood sugars lower over a period of time :)

spikyonyx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupided bloody sensationalist news headlines about a cure for diabetes when they mean another possible treatment method for type 2 management.
Idiots asking if I'm watching what I eat... 'Why, no. Whatever for? I'm intentionally poisoning myself with every mouthful I consume!"
Hi, I've suffered from phiperal-neuropathy in my feet and legs for a couple of years now, as a result of a DKA.
That said tho, have your vitamin B's levels been low?
There are various herbal, vitamin treatment/suggestions or foods which are said to help.
Otherwise there are antidepressants and antispasmodic meds. for more 'in depth' treatment.
I've found that the Dr.s aren't really that helpful when it comes to neuropathic treatment and as I didn't like the side effects from all the meds. I was on, I began hydrotherapy physio sessions and managed to wean myself off them and dispose of my walking stick in only 3 months.
Now I'm back at it as my recent pregnancy and emergency surgery has impacted the nerve condition enought to put me back into a wheelchair since mid-November. Tho happily this is my first week out of it and no walling stick either! However my feet burn like crazy and the random shootng pains are annoying.
There are some cheap books on nerve damage on Amazon, I'll see if I can find the one that 'caught my eye'
ttfn, ash

Becky76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I have been recently diagnosed with type 1, was taken to hospital with DKA on may 1st this year. Ever since waking up on intensive care had pins and needles in feet, was told it would die down but it has now progressed to pain and hotness. Dr gave me gabapentin 3 x daily to no avail, so am now soaking feet, and moisturising feet every 2 hours and this does releave pain temporary as it desensitised the nerve endings. Trouble is having to do this through night too!!!! Mega sleep deprivation lol. Have been told of neuropathy doesn't go within 3 months it will probably not go away.

olga_brophy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have suffered with this Burning Pins & Needles , for 3 years , my GP put me on Gabapentin however this never resolved the problem, it was,t until I saw a Very Good Doctor at pain management clinic who advised me to try Duloxetine 60mg one a day which I take at bed time It has taken away the above , and has left my legs just feeling numb, however that is better than the agony I was going through with the Burning etc , not sure if you can just ask GP for certain medication but its worth asking good luck

Becky76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much for your reply and advice. I don't think I could stand 3 years of this!!!! Will keep duloxetine in mind and ask gp about it.