Think my Lantus no longer lasts 24 hours...

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In the past few days my levels have risen after dinner regardless of exercise, eating and how much I bolus. I realise that my sample of just the last few days isn't yet conclusive evidence (!) but I have a feeling my Lantus dose (I inject at around 10-11pm each night) may no longer be lasting 24 hours.

Does that sound feasible, even if it used to last the full 24 hours? If so, should I try splitting it 50:50 morning and night (would prefer not to deal with another injection....) or should I ask to try another long acting insulin? Has anyone else experienced this?

I know I need to give it a few more days to check this isn't just a blip, but grateful for any advice.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes it does sound feasible, before trying the split-dose have a late lunch (low-fat) and start testing your bg levels 4 hours after you've finished right through to late evening skipping your evening meal and bolus, if you find your bg levels start to creep up as the evening moves on then your lantus is running out, if it doesn't then it might be that your I:C ratio needs to be changed for your evening meal.

Reactions: 6 people

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My Levemir has never lasted 24hrs, I just take an adjustment knowing it fades from 21-22hrs, err if I remember.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would recommend you try what Noblehead has suggested to confirm.

When I was on Lantus I found it didn't last me 24 hours. At the time I started taking a second injection my evening dose stayed the same and another smaller dose was added in after breakfast.

If you do find out it is your Lantus then I would seek advice from your DSN on what they would recommend.

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
agree with posters above -- i often think my lantus does not last the full 24 hours based on BG readings
but as I take lantus at tea time (6:30pm) it is easy to adjust with a correction late afternoon:)

zjed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lazy Doctors and Endos
When I did DAFNE they split everyone's basal, they think it gives a flatter coverage.
Yes, they start at 50:50

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
When I did DAFNE they split everyone's basal, they think it gives a flatter coverage.
Based on my experience, I'd say that depending on the basal this is true. With the longer acting basals, this is probably the correct statement. With Levemir, it allows me flexibility in dosing.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone. Great idea, @noblehead - I'll try that out.

I'll be honest, as much as I want excellent control I already do so many bolus injections when "sugar surfing" and the thought of having to remember and inject my Lantus twice a day isn't something I am too keen about...but we'll see what happens.

Having commented about my Lantus I'm actually wondering if my NovoRapid cartridge is spoiled. Last night I had a total of 9 units of NovoRapid (over 3 doses) for only 50g of carbs, which is a crazily high amount given my usual ratios. Usually 4 units would more than cover that. And yet I still went to bed high at 8mmol and stayed at 6.5-7mmol over night. Hmmm.

Last edited by a moderator:

spikyonyx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupided bloody sensationalist news headlines about a cure for diabetes when they mean another possible treatment method for type 2 management.
Idiots asking if I'm watching what I eat... 'Why, no. Whatever for? I'm intentionally poisoning myself with every mouthful I consume!"
Hi, I initially took my Lantus as a 24hr basal.
However following the DAFNE course teachings which stated that it lasts about 12 hrs I split it into two shots and 'suffered' far better Bg levels as a result.
:) good luck with yours.
Regards Ash

HaroldC

Thanks everyone. Great idea, @noblehead - I'll try that out.

I'll be honest, as much as I want excellent control I already do so many bolus injections when "sugar surfing" and the thought of having to remember and inject my Lantus twice a day isn't something I am too keen about...but we'll see what happens.

Having commented about my Lantus I'm actually wondering if my NovoRapid cartridge is spoiled. Last night I had a total of 9 units of NovoRapid (over 3 doses) for only 50g of carbs, which is a crazily high amount given my usual ratios. Usually 4 units would more than cover that. And yet I still went to bed high at 8mmol and stayed at 6.5-7mmol over night. Hmmm.
Sounds like you're sickening for something. Hope you're recovering OK, Pinewood.