Type one and fruit

Tylers73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Never had strawberries since diagnosed got loads of them from the garden but curious to know how much insulin to give per handful of fruit. Too good not to have

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1435261674.635979.jpg

Reactions: 6 people

Tylers73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanx but so new to this so if I had that amount roughly how many units of insulin. I know it's 1 unit per 10g of carb but what is above 85g so 8
Units confused Soz

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanx but so new to this so if I had that amount roughly how many units of insulin. I know it's 1 unit per 10g of carb but what is above 85g so 8
Units confused Soz

There's only about 6g of carbs in 100g of strawberries, so be careful. Don't get muddled between the weight of the fruit and the grammes of carbohydrate.

Tylers73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you will try not to still trying to get my head around it all

Jculligan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think everyone is different with insulin and depending which insulin I'm on novo rapid and for me 1.5 units for every 10 grams ..hope u find your feet with it

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Never had strawberries since diagnosed got loads of them from the garden but curious to know how much insulin to give per handful of fruit. Too good not to have
When i was diagnosed strawberries were seen as so low in carbs that, within moderation, they were among the list of 'free fruits'. (under 10 carbs per portion). I still treat them like this, especially if i eat them later in the day, as i am insulin sensitive, and 5 or 6 carbs of a fruit with virtually no protein or fat is not safe having insulin for. I would agree with the comment above to be careful if you are thinking of any bolus. Maybe experiment first with no bolus a few times, and see what happens so you can learn for the next times...?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Units confused Soz

What the photo is saying is that a portion in the photo is weighing 85g of strawberrys which equates to 5g of carbs.

If you are using a 1unit to 10g of carb then for the portion above you would give 1/2 a unit of insulin. (Ie.. So if you doubled that portion size it would be 10g of carbs in those strawberries weighing in at 170g for the strawberry weight- therefore if you had 10g of carbs you would give 1 unit of insulin)

Charlie Tudgay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Strawberries also have a low GI so a wonderful fruit to have with out worrying about it affecting BG too rapidly! Enjoy

Reactions: 4 people

cillabrown909

I find that strawberries don't affect my blood sugars enough to inject after eating, therefore i just don't inject and then usually test my blood a couple of hours after just incase but it only ever really goes up a couple of mmol, so from about 6 to 8, on the rare occasion that it does go slightly higher (when I eat a whole punnet to myself) I will have a unit or 2 of correction dose with my next meal to bring it back down

Reactions: 2 people

rubold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Strawberries- brilliant snacking food with no signiicant effect on my BG. I think rasberries are similiar in that respect. The worst fruits for BG increase are bananas, especially when ripe.

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes @rubold raspberries have no effect on my BG, same for blueberries and blackberries. I will venture out to other things now to see how it goes...I just know that banana and mango are a no no...unless on a long cycle ride :)

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes @rubold raspberries have no effect on my BG, same for blueberries and blackberries. I will venture out to other things now to see how it goes...I just know that banana and mango are a no no...unless on a long cycle ride :)
Hi, Teacher123, re mangos - they are one of the healthiest fruits, why wait for a cycle ride? it is just a matter of learning how much insulin you need. Not easy with mangos, as there are many varieties - i find the small very sweet bright orange soft fleshed Bangladeshi ones that were in the shops here earlier in the year, for just a few weeks, the most delicious , but the highest in carbs per weight. In the shops in the UK at the moment there are very large much juicier green/orange ones, which are a bit lower in carbs. I had an enormous very delicious one yesterday - even after so many years of diabetes i never know the exact carbs, so i have the least insulin i expect, and correct if necessary. I manage to prevent any big spike by eating after a large salad, with a couple of handfuls of raw, podded, fresh peas. Or with unsweetened virtually no carb soya yoghurt.