Which Meter do you use?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Be aware that the variation on meters follows a normal bell curve so while there is a margin for error of +/-15%, the error is likely to be much lower than this.

Reactions: 2 people

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
I have come to the conclusion they are all a bit hit or miss in the accuracy stakes. My main meter for some time has been a SD Codefree, but it gave me an unexpected shock about 2 days ago with 9.6 result (I was expecting high 7s) on immediate retest it returned a 7.2 and on a further retests an 8.2 and an 8.6 then a 7.8.. So I logged it as an 8.2 and ordered strips for my other meters TRUEresult Twist and a couple of Freestyle Freedom Lites. Browsing the web was tempted into ordering a new Bayer Contour Next -- really nice bit of kit.

When the strips arrived for the TRUEresult Twist it was tested against the SD Code free on the same blood sample -- both returned an identical 5.1

Today the Bayer Contour Next arrived so tested 3 meters on the same blood droplet

SD Codefree 5.6 ----- last strip so no re-test
TRUEresult Twist 4.9 on immediate re-test on fresh droplet 4.7
Bayer Contour Next 6.1 & on re-test 5.4
On a subsequent test 60 minutes after eating a small apple the Bayer returned 5.8 and the TRUEresult 5.3

i repeat the tests against the two Freestyle meters when new strips arrive for them and the Codefree.

Reactions: 4 people

dcoppard

Interesting topic because I've noticed over the years how different meters give somewhat different results. As an example my main meter is an Accucheck Mobile but I also have an SD Codefree as a backup and because my prescription for the Accucheck strips would not be sufficient for my needs. I try and test twice a day but I'm about 20 or so strips short over a 2 month period so I use the SD Codefree now and again because the strips are so cheap.

As an example I tested my blood yesterday morning using the SD Codefree and it gave me a reading of 6.7. I thought that was a bit high so redid it with the Accucheck and it came in at 5.2. Over the years I have noticed that there are often similar differences between meters. I have also noted that the SD Codefree is always higher than the Accucheck but usually only by about 0.5 or so.

Incidentally I noticed that one or two members have talked about multiple testing using the same blood droplet. I seem to remember that one of the machines instructions I have mentioned that if you do a retest you should always use a fresh drop of blood because after a few seconds the sample starts to congeal and this can affect the readings.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Update after he first test with the Bayer appears to have settled in and is giving generally similar results to the SD. I now have strips for the two Freestyles which are giving slightly lower results than than the Bayer or SD. The TRUEresult is giving readings that are up to 0.8 lower.
All the meter designs have good features, the Bayer has the best interface and software and the Freestyle has a quatilty feel and probably better accuracy but test strips are awkward to use. The SD gives a lot of bang per buck.

Morgawr2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use the SD Codefree as the strips were the cheapest. I was refused a BG kit, was told not to bother testing. So how on earth are you supposed to manage your condition if you have no guidance? A once a year test ( or maybe twice a year) won't help your day to day management. This meter seems to compare favourably with more expensive models. Shouldn't there be a single, compatible, test strip as I feel that possibly some of the strip manufacturers are just cashing in?

Amethyst8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I hav ebeen using the One Touch Verio.... however I noticed in boots they had some BG testing strips for sale at £10 and I thought I will buy them and use them as spares as I also have a BG meter which I used before getting this One Touch...I noticed straight away my levels appear lower and wondered if the levels vary when using different meters????

I hav ebeen using the One Touch Verio.... however I noticed in boots they had some BG testing strips for sale at £10 and I thought I will buy them and use them as spares as I also have a BG meter which I used before getting this One Touch...I noticed straight away my levels appear lower and wondered if the levels vary when using different meters????
Hi, I also use One Touch verio IQ plus FreeStyle freedom-Lite whenever I ran out test strips. When I test both before meals they gives a different rsults every time. One Touch Verio gives higher readinds but The FreeStyle gives the lower results. I tend to follow
the FreeStyle more than the other.This has puzzled me before why it gives different answers?

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
A bit of research Wikipedia (!!) revealed some information The problem lies in the technology used, these days we are used to measuring devices digital super accuracy but although these devices present the results in on a digital display to one decimal point the underlying process is a mini chemistry set and the results are analogue subject to many variables that can't be tightly controlled.

Also some meters are biased high or low, unlike a car speedometer which always read slightly fast (in these digital times generally 3% to 5% fast ) for safety reason with Blood Glucose meters for a Type 1 diabetic a meter with a high bias could be dangerous but for myself and probably most Type2 diabetics a meter biased more towards slightly high readings is fine.

Protea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
High carb food. Processed food. Any cold drinks.
Now use a Bayer Contour Plus meter. Cost of 50 strips from a pharmacy is R172. equivalent is about 9 pounds.
Changed from Accu-Chek Active a while ago. The Bayer needs a lot less blood. Made comparisons but found no
consistent difference. Only problem is that in cold weather I need to warm the meter just a little. Cold here at present
as it is mid Winter. Take my reading about 7h30 am and its about 3 deg C. More or less on a low carbo high fat diet.
Never had any medication. Been OK for about 12 years when I was diagnosed. Must have a HBa1C soon. Long
overdue. Goes up and down. Up when we visit our daughter in UK.
Age 79. Weight Very good and always has been. Would not be without my meter and test strips.
Best of luck to all of you.

jonm8

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have used several since i pay myself i now use Accu-Chek Mobile , one i keep at work and one at home .
Just so compact an all in one

Atalay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use Accu-check Go for 15 years, the same device, works perfect. Funny, I loved the new age lcd ones, just for its looks, I might buy one for an eye-candy!

MosheBenYehuda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got a GlucoRx Nexus from GP, and have lancets and strips prescribed, and also an Accu-Chek Aviva which I bought myself before persuading my doc that I need one:)
The strips for Accu-Chek are pricey, but I have a chemist I've know for long, and I get them for £20 / 50 strips, and use for backup.
I've compared the two on one occasion, and both have shown exactly the same reading.
Accu is more handy and the fast-click lancet device is really cool;-) They also provide free batteries, control liq. and log booklets upon registration of meter.
Gluco is a bit lumpy and it's case holder scratches the screen, also the lancet device is a bit over-complicated, but hey, it's free and seems reliable, so good enough for me;-)

MosheBenYehuda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just ordered an SD Codefree plus strips, very, very cheap compared to other brands, it should arrive in a couple of days, I'll come back with details.;-)

IzzieS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Loud noises; disrespectful people; fireworks
I was also given a Gluco Rex by my dn and get strips and lancets on prescription. I haven't tried any other monitors so don't know how it would compare to another.

Timbotoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I use Accu-Chek Expert, allows me to link to my PC. I am Type 2 + insulin, so get my strips lancets etc on prescription so lucky I guess. Accu-Chek are very good at Customer Service, recently I had an issue with one of the buttons sticking, new meter sent straight out; they also supply free batteries for the meters too!

MosheBenYehuda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just ordered an SD Codefree plus strips, very, very cheap compared to other brands, it should arrive in a couple of days, I'll come back with details.;-)
Ok, the machine arrived, everything as ordered.
I tested with it, and compared simultaneously from same hand different droplets about 1 minute between test, and as I have now three monitors, I've got the following results:
-SD Codefree 5.4
-Accu Chek Aviva 5.4
-GlucoRx Nexus 5.9

Cost wise, we have the following, emphasise on strips:
-SD Codefree £6.99 / 50 pack from Home Health UK, further discount codes for ordering more, 5 or 10 tubs
-Accu Chek Aviva £20 / 50 pack from some rare chemists ;-) , otherwise £29.99 / 50 pack from Boots
-GlucoRx Nexus GP prescription, but limited, because I am supposed to test only when I "feel unwell"

Well, you do the maths, and draw your own, very personalized conclusion;-)