Is Desmond worth waiting for?

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got my letter a couple of weeks ago asking me to contact the local dietetic department to book my place on the Desmond course. Taken a while to speak to someone, and I was rather shocked to be told it will be 8-9 months before there is a place. I've found the advice on the site invaluable (thank you so much all). Just wanting to know whether this is worth going on as it will be approaching a year from diagnosis by then, and am concerned the advice might not be correct given the "healthy plate" leaflet which came with the letter. I really want to learn all I can so I can manage this, but don't want to waste my time. Any thoughts please?

Reactions: 2 people

bigcj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi SueB743, I was diagnosed T2 in January. I am due to go on my Desmond early July and intend to go in an effort to seek clarity and allow me to be in a position to make what I consider are some very important healthcare decisions. I have found this forum very helpful and the reassurance and advice provided has enabled me to slowly improve a period of depression. I still remain confused, my expectation of Desmond may be unrealist but lets hope I am not. I intend to post a review of Desmond when complete.

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was offered to go on the Desmond show ... But decided
That I could learn lots more here, with people that are the same
As me.
I would have been still on the low fat high carbs and getting
Worse. My health would have declined rapidly.
You guys here on this forum have helped me so much.
I have completely changed the way I eat, and I'm loving the
New food and cook it all myself.
I love ice cream but I'm going to make my own as I can't eat
The normal stuff. Same with bread too. Those oopsies look
Delicious. We don't have to completely miss out on foods that
are bad for you, we make them different! :)
So Thanks to all of you here on this forum that has changed
my life for the better. Xxxx

Reactions: 4 people

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
I went on my DESMOND course in early May after being diagnosed in January. I had joined this Forum in February and absorbed and acted on the available information and, quite frankly, I felt like the class swot. I could answer all the questions the speakers asked, and had a bit of a difference of opinion with them regarding the amount of carbs they were advocating - we agreed to differ. They also didn't agree with my testing regime but had to agree that, as I was self-funding, they couldn't do anything about it. One of the reasons for their 'don't test' advice was it causes depression and anxiety (I said, "only if you don't react to the messages you're getting"). By the time of the course I also had the results of my first review and the NHS-provided statistics that I had taken with me showed evidence of weight loss and BG reduction that was indisputable.

I did feel a wee bit smug as the other participants seemed to be accepting that they couldn't do much about their BG levels (most of us were not exceptionally high) and many munched on biscuits at tea/coffee time and sandwiches for lunch.

Overall, it reinforced my belief that this Forum is a better source of advice and support and the day hadn't really provided me with anything new but it 'ticked the box' for my GP practice and didn't do me any harm - other than 'losing' a day.

Reactions: 9 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally if you are a regular follower of this website I can see no advantage in attending Desmond?

Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
I did feel a wee bit smug as the other participants seemed to be accepting that they couldn't do much about their BG levels (most of us were not exceptionally high) and many munched on biscuits at tea/coffee time and sandwiches for lunch.

Still eating carbs, and not metering BG - no hope of changing levels.

I also felt like the class swot when I went on Desmond. I didn't really get to talk to any of the other participants. The course leaders were much more concerned about saturated fats than carbohydrates. They did say to cut carbs, and conceded the point when I said there was no point in eating more carbs than you can metabolise.

It's a bit shocking that the waiting list is 6-9 months. That could be 3 dodgy HbA1C tests, a load of consequential meds to say nothing of all the interim spikes.

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I honestly can't help with this one as I have never been offered one and would not go if the offer came up .

silverbirch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went on my DESMOND course in early May after being diagnosed in January. I had joined this Forum in February and absorbed and acted on the available information and, quite frankly, I felt like the class swot. I could answer all the questions the speakers asked, and had a bit of a difference of opinion with them regarding the amount of carbs they were advocating - we agreed to differ. They also didn't agree with my testing regime but had to agree that, as I was self-funding, they couldn't do anything about it. One of the reasons for their 'don't test' advice was it causes depression and anxiety (I said, "only if you don't react to the messages you're getting"). By the time of the course I also had the results of my first review and the NHS-provided statistics that I had taken with me showed evidence of weight loss and BG reduction that was indisputable.

Overall, it reinforced my belief that this Forum is a better source of advice and support and the day hadn't really provided me with anything new but it 'ticked the box' for my GP practice and didn't do me any harm - other than 'losing' a day.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Wholeheartedly agree with every word WeeFergus.

Deskdoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
My experience - I got a place on a DESMOND course the week after I was diagnosed. When I came home I went through my cupboards, with all the zeal of the newly converted, and disposed of all things white (sugar, rice, pasta, bread etc) and bought all things brown (apart from the sugar), to replace the 'white' as recommended by the lovely NHS dietitian.

Then I found the people who REALLY know what they're talking about on these forums.
I went through my cupboards and disposed of all things 'brown' oh yes, and low fat. My daughter didn't need to shop for a month!!!

I'm on the right track now though, losing weight steadily on LCHF diet and BG getting better (around 7) So, the 'free NHS course' told me all about a 'balanced diet' which included carbs and low fat items (more sugars) and It cost me a fortune :D:D:D

HbA1c 88 on diagnosis in Feb, down to 44 in May all due to LCHF eating and moderate exercise.

brottonmoores

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did the Desmond course in January, I felt the advice was more geared towards heart disease than diabetics, my husband was able to come with me and he found it quite helpful.
Go but keep an open mind
Cheers
Jan

Reactions: 5 people

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My experience - I got a place on a DESMOND course the week after I was diagnosed. When I came home I went through my cupboards, with all the zeal of the newly converted, and disposed of all things white (sugar, rice, pasta, bread etc) and bought all things brown (apart from the sugar), to replace the 'white' as recommended by the lovely NHS dietitian.

Then I found the people who REALLY know what they're talking about on these forums.
I went through my cupboards and disposed of all things 'brown' oh yes, and low fat. My daughter didn't need to shop for a month!!!

I'm on the right track now though, losing weight steadily on LCHF diet and BG getting better (around 7) So, the 'free NHS course' told me all about a 'balanced diet' which included carbs and low fat items (more sugars) and It cost me a fortune :D:D:D

HbA1c 88 on diagnosis in Feb, down to 44 in May all due to LCHF eating and moderate exercise.

Well done Deskdoll :)

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi SueB743, I was diagnosed T2 in January. I am due to go on my Desmond early July and intend to go in an effort to seek clarity and allow me to be in a position to make what I consider are some very important healthcare decisions. I have found this forum very helpful and the reassurance and advice provided has enabled me to slowly improve a period of depression. I still remain confused, my expectation of Desmond may be unrealist but lets hope I am not. I intend to post a review of Desmond when complete.
Thanks, look forward to your review and hope you find it useful

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
Hi i have been offered a place but not till november.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went after I had already found this forum and had adopted LCHF because I didn't want to be recorded as unco-operative by my surgery. My GP practice has never asked how I got on. I tried to join in but it wasn't aimed at me. They just wanted people to eat brown carbs instead of white, and the men wanted to know how much alcohol they could drink. They served biscuits, and sugar with the drinks.
On the other hand, if you don't go you won't know. Provided you can spare the time.

georgianakate

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went last week and found it useful. Still sticking to lchf though but some useful things picked up.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hm. Since recently being diagnosed T2 (28 April) I have now been loaded onto a Desmond course. It is over two afternoons 1300-1700, the first one being this Wednesday.

My own state so far:
Joined this forum, read and asked.
Got a test kit - started testing prior to and 2 hours after just one meal per day. Found that inadequate and now before and after each meal (6 times a day). This is self funded but then so is my own body.

Gave away all the pasta, rice and other high carb products in my food pantry. We only ever had sugar in a block for Thai and other asian cooking. Beer swiftly nicked by my boys. We have kept hold of all the flour because I can still make bread for my wife. She likes 1/2 spelt and 1/2 of whatever I fancy chucking in.

Looked up some replacement recipes for bread - found a few. Bought some strange flours and gums and made some up - one I particularly like. Also bought some "low carb alternatives" - expensive and not that impressed - rather make my own or go without.

Beer - what to do. Had one bottle of Bud light - verdict - it's not beer. Outcome - don't drink beer.

Bought some Chia seeds (already had flax) and take some with each meal if I remember.

Now loosely monitoring my carb intake and cutting as much as I feel comfortable with for myself. Aiming for <30g (not including merlot).

Weight: On 28 April it was 102 kg. Today it is bouncing off 94 kg.

If the Desmond folk are OK with all this then happy days. If not then hopefully I will learn something useful and say "happy trails".

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Computer games
Hi, I've been on the Desmond course and like you I was the class swot! I didn't get any of my questions answered and we disagreed about carbs. I feel that I've learnt more from this forum than I did on the course.