ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i,m on sertraline 100mg for depression and was recently increase.
since then my BS have risen and eating no differently
anybody else taking this med and have had risen levels?

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hello ally1
I have never taken sertraline, but copied this for you from the NHS choices website. I would check with your GP if its suitable for you

Whether this medicine is suitable for you
Sertraline hydrochloride is not suitable for everyone and some people should never use it. Other people should only use it with special care. It is important that the person prescribing this medicine knows your full medical history.
Your prescriber may only prescribe this medicine with special care or may not prescribe it at all if you:
  • are aged over 65 years
  • are allergic or sensitive to or have had a reaction to any of the ingredients in the medicine
  • are having electroconvulsive therapy
  • are suffering from low blood volume
  • are taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors or have taken them within the last 14 days
  • have attempted suicide
  • have diabetes
  • have epilepsy
  • have had bleeding problems
  • have liver problems
  • have or have had glaucoma
  • have or have had mania
  • have or have had thoughts of committing suicide
  • have risk factors for developing certain types of glaucoma
  • have risk factors for developing heart problems
  • have schizophrenia

Reactions: 2 people

log120

Hi ally1
i have been on sertraline 100 for depression for the last 6 months and it has really helped me. I seem to have broken out of the cycle of "what is the point of trying?" - for now at least. The result is that my BS has improved greatly. I have gone from 8.9 HbA1C to 6.7 and now 6.1. I am feeling more cheerful too. Catinahat has drawn our attention to its possible contraindication for diabetics. So maybe it does affect some people. Not me.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was on that for a while but stopped it, like you said it messed up my bg's a bit and I didn't like the way it made me feel completely numb - mentally not physically, I stopped and just attended therapy which I found helped much more, I would speak to your doctor xx

Edited to add - I didn't just stop taking them I reduced my dosage over a few weeks till I stopped x

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
i,m on sertraline 100mg for depression and was recently increase.
since then my BS have risen and eating no differently
anybody else taking this med and have had risen levels?

Hi ally1,

I was on sertraline 100mg for about a year. I suffer with a chronic anxiety disorder.

I can not say that it had any major effect with my diabetes or sugar levels.

You say that it has just been increased so I guess this could be due to heightened depression / anxiety. The increase will take a little while to kick in and will not have an immediate effect on how your feeling.

The increase in your BS may just be due to the increase of your depression and your sugar levels may well level off once the increase gets into your system.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was on this for a couple of years and although it effected my sugars a little at first...they did finally settle down after a couple of months.

I had a few strange side effects with this...night sweats being the one I remember most vividly as I would wake several times in the night thinking I was going hypo. Also...on the odd occasion when I ran out...mostly due to my rather rubbish pharmacist...I had serious withdrawal symptoms...incredible fall over type dizziness...don't know if you've ever experienced this but I would highly recommend that you keep a good stock just in case. I'm off it now...but it took several months of slowly reducing the dosage.

Having said this...despite the problems I had with it...it was a great help at a very low point in my life.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
thank you for the replies
i read the leaflet and it said that diabetics shouldn,t take it

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i,m also on stelazine for depression

Brunhilda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on sertraline and it has been marvellous. I am a newly diagnosed type 2 - I hope the doctor doesn't take me off it. Also, a long time ago I was prescribed stelazine and it caused awful side effects - I couldn't stop bending my arms so I couldn't go to sleep.

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Natalie1974 This was the same for me. Come off Sertraline slowly. I came off it cold turkey (being a berk) and the dizziness was beyond belief !

Not on it now. CBT was a great help for me.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't worry too much about the 'not suitable for diabetics' part...in my experience almost all medications say this but assuming your doctor is aware of your diabetes and it wasn't prescribed by a locum or anything it should be ok...although do double check with your doctor if you're concerned.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Natalie1974 This was the same for me. Come off Sertraline slowly. I came off it cold turkey (being a berk) and the dizziness was beyond belief !

Not on it now. CBT was a great help for me.

I admire you for going cold turkey...but really don't know how you did it...the dizziness was unbearable for me. Just out of interest though...how long did it take for dizziness to disappear?

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I admire you for going cold turkey...but really don't know how you did it...the dizziness was unbearable for me. Just out of interest though...how long did it take for dizziness to disappear?

If I remember correctly about three weeks ! Yeah without doubt I was a berk !

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Computer games
Hi Ally1, I've been on Sertraline 100mg for over 10 years plus a lot of other meds. Because I took these meds before I was diagnosed with diabetes I'm not sure if they affect my BS It does take your body time to adjust to the higher dose but if you're concerned speak to your GP

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i,m seeing my gp this afternoon,
if he can,t help, then i will speck to my pyschiatrist on the 22nd july