diet plan

smigger62

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not having food and beer
What to eat..
is there a daily set meal receipe lesflet/book I can follow.have Togo on insulin in two weeks. And at the moment I'm fat enough thank you very much.

C

catherinecherub

Hi @smigger62,

There are plenty of recipes throughout the forum.
If you tell us what you are eating on a typical day then we might be able to help you make some alterations to help you manage your diabetes.

There is no blueprint for management and we are all unique. Some people keep their carbs to below 20 per day and others can go as high as 150 with everything in between being the norm for others.

Testing, planning ahead and keeping a food diary will help.

I know you are not a newbie but you may find that the information @daisy1 gives to newbies may help you.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@smigger62

Hello smigger62. As tagged above, here is the information we give to new members and you should find that the diet information in here is helpful to you. Ask more questions and you will get good answers from members.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

TrinMonroe

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Smigger...i have kinda mentioned this on another post of yours but can i suggest you go on a low carb diet...i have been on The Body Rescue Plan It is a detox for the first week..then you can slowly add things back to your diet. Its a 12 week plan to a better healthy way of living.
I have to say...i have tried all diets in the past..atkins, cambridge etc but i have found this to be the best one although i think this one is helped by my will power this time.
You are not allowed carbs, dairy, wheat and gluten, bread, alcohol, chocolate etc, red meat and processed foods.
I personally didnt think i was going to be able to cope on this plan and the first week was really hard, eating sweet potato every day..ughhh lol but i have stuck to it and i feel so much better inside health wise.
I eat no wheat and gluten pasta and i can honestly say this keeps your sugar levels down and it really doesnt taste any different than wheat pasta.
A typical day diet for me is this..
BREAKFAST
Two egg omelette with low sugar baked beans.(can add mushrooms and peppers etc to this)
Two fried eggs but cooked in a non stick pan with one squirt of spray coconut oil with mushrooms, toms and a thin turkey steak.
Boiled egg with asparagus soldiers.
Porridge made with water.
LUNCH
Prawn, salmon or chicken salad...lettuce, toms, cucumber, avocado, peppers, radish, beetroot, papaya, mango...any fresh fruit or veg.
Salmon wheat and gluten free pasta...i make this with salmon fillet, broccoli and use a small amount of healthy creme fraiche with mustard mixed in.
Omelette as listed above.
DINNER
Salmon pasta.
Home made chicken burgers and sweet potato chips.
Chicken cooked with lemon and ginger.
Salmon cooked with lemon and ginger.
Fish pie.
Chicken pie.

There are lots of variations you can use to cut out the carbs...for the fish and chicken pie i use healthy creme fraiche with mustard and i use sweet potato and swede mash for the topping.

If you would be interested in some of the recipes i use then please let me know and il be happy to share them on a post.

I have found my sugar levels have come down a lot...the only thing i am saddened about is that due to the insulin and my hormone issues i havnt lost the weight that i was hoping but once i see my diabetic nurse i am hoping this will change....so watch this space. lol.

Link removed by Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

smigger62

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not having food and beer
Thanks for the time u have taken to do this. ..any and all recipes would be appreciated

TrinMonroe

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok...here are a few recipes that are low carb...hopefully they help.

Salmon Broccoli Pasta

75 gms per person Wheat/Gluten free pasta twists or shells, Broccoli florets, one salmon fillet, half tub of healthy creme fraiche, i tsp mustard, spices of your choce.

1. Boil 75grams (per person) of wheat/gluten free pasta and broccoli together. (takes about 12 mins).
2. Microwave a salmon fillet for 2 mins.
3. Put the cooked pasta and broccoli in an oven proof dish and flake the salmon in it.
4. Mix one teaspoon of mustard into half a tub of healthy creme fraiche, add some paprika and some dried parsley and mix well.
5. Mix the creme fraiche into the pasta,salmon and broccoli...mix well making sure everything gets covered in the creme fraiche.
6. Put in the oven for about 10 mins.

Variations: add prawns and sweetcorn to this or use chicken breast instead of fish.

Sweet Potato Chips

Sweet potato, spray coconut oil, spices of your choice.

1. Peel and slice some sweet potatoes into thin chips.
2. Put in a large dish and spray some coconut oil and mix well.
3. Add some paprika and dried garlic pieces and any other spices you like.
4. Mix well and spread the chips onto a baking sheet.
5. Spray coconut oil over the top and bake in the oven for about 10 mins on 200c.

Chicken Patties

Minced turkey, coconut oil, red pepper, leek, garlic and spices of your choice.

1. Put a tray of turkey mince into a bowl and add some herbs and spices of your choice. (i use paprika, dried parsley and pepper).
2. Fry a leek, small diced red pepper and one clove of garlic, crushed in two sprays of coconut oil and once softened add to the turkey mince, mix well.
3. Make about 4-6 patties and add some coconut oil spray into a non stick frying pan and cook for about 5 mins each side until they have gone white in colour and cooked through.
4. Put on a baking tray and cook in the oven for about ten mins. (i usually add these with the chips).
5. Serve with the sweet potato chips and salad or veg of your choice.
One or two patties per person depending on how big you make them.

Chicken Pie

Cooked chicken, one tub of creme fraiche, 1 tsp mustard, leek, red pepper, about 4 medium sweet potatoes, one swede, one garlic clove,spices and herbs of your choice, spray coconut oil.

1. I use a ready cooked chicken from the supermarket for this dish as it definitely has a better taste to the finished dish. Take the chicken off the bone and flake into an over proof dish.
2. Peel and chop into small cubes about 4 medium sweet potatoes and one swede. Boil until soft and mash together with some black pepper. (i dont use butter but you could add a small teasspoon of butter in the mash).
3. Fry a leek,diced red pepper and one clove of garlic, crushed in some spray coconut oil and add to the chicken and mix.
4. In a tub of healthy creme fraiche add one teaspoon of mustard and any spices and herbs, (i use paprika and dried parsley).
5. Mix the creme fraiche into the chicken and stir well making sure all lthe chicken mix is covered.
6. Spread the mash on top of the chicken and bake in the oven for about 20 mins on 200c.
This makes enough for 4 people.

Variation: You can use fish with this recipe, and you can also add some grated cheese on top of the mash if you want to.
(i dont use cheese as its tasty enough without).

Salmon cooked in Lemon and Ginger

Two salmon fillets, one lemon, one ginger bulb, silver foil.

1. Slice some ginger and put on a sheet of baking foil.
2. Add some sliced leek onto the ginger.
3. Add 4 slices of lemon onto the leek and ginger.
4. Add two salmon fillets on the top.
5. Grate some lemon zest onto the salmon and juice of half a lemon. Use the juiced lemon, slice it and add on top of the salmon.
6. Close the silver foil into a parcel and cook in the oven 200c for about ten mins.
Serve with salad, roasted sweet potato or brown rice and veg of your choice.
Serves 2.

Variations: You can use chicken instead of salmon or any other fish.I also use lime zest and add some lime juice.

Lime Chicken and Egg Fried Rice

Two chicken breasts, one boil in the bag brown rice (serves two people), one lime, 1 tsp honey, 2 tbs of light soy sauce, 2 eggs, leek, spray coconut oil, crushed garlic clove, frozen sweetcorn.

I use brown rice that i have already cooked earlier for this recipe.
1. Marinate two chicken breasts in some lime juice, one tbl spoon of light soy sause and one tsp of honey.(leave in the fridge for a few hours for a more intense flavour).
2. Mix together 2 eggs in a dish and leave to one side.
3. Cook the chicken breasts on a griddle pan while you are making the egg fried rice.
4. Stir fry a sliced leek in spray coconut oil, add a clove of crushed garlic and some frozen sweetcorn.
5. Add the egg to the wok and stir until cooked.
6. Add the brown rice to the pan and add some light soy sauce and some lime zest and juice, cook until heated through.
Serves 2.
Serve the rice with the chicken on top.

Courgette and Almonds

2 tbsp flaked almonds, spray coconut oil, 2 courgettes, finely sliced.

1. Heat some spray coconut oil in a frying pan and cook the lamonds for 2 mins.
2. Add the courgette and toss together until the courgette is cooled through.
Serve with fish or chicken.

Prawn Stir Fry Noodles

About 200g peeled prawns, chilli chopped, one garlic clove crushed, bunch of coriander, lime juice, coconut oil, small piece of ginger, red pepper thinly sliced, sliced spring onions and 1tsp soy sauce, bean sprouts.

1. Put the chilli, garlic and coriander into a blender, add half of the lime juice and pour over the prawns in a bowl.
2. Heat some spray coconut oil in a wok and add the ginger and spring onions and fry for 1 min.
3. Add the red pepper and cook for 2-3 mins.
4. Add the bean sprouts and soy sauce.
5. Fry the prawns for 2 mins and add the marinade, then pour into the veg dish.
Serve with wheat/gluten free noodles and sprinkle with coriander.

I hope these help..you can change things around, take out things you dont like and add things you do....just low carbs.

I have been following this diet for two weeks, into my third week and since i cut out wheat and gluten i feel so much better health wise.

If you want further recipes let me know as im happy to share my knowledge i am slowly learning about low carbs and how they effect our sugar levels.

Jenny J

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Are there any vegetarians diabetics on this forum?I became a vegetarian six months ago and would appreciate if anyone has any recipes for vegetarian dishes.

I am type two diabetic on novorapid and lantus and need to lose some weight.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Here are my recipes:
breakfast: fry bacon and eggs
lunch: barbecue a ribeye steak
dinner barbecue a ribeye steak

TrinMonroe

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
There is a low carb recipe thread...it wont let me post the link to that page but its on the main page under food and nutrition :)