NHS Direct doctor says... NO testing when taking Metformin

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello Jacquelineann, this is something serious, and concerning for you. To get right down to 2 is a very low level to get too and not be aware, do you have a hypo kit in your possession? These are mainly glucose tablets, but I prefer some food, even the carbs in crisps have helped me get the recovery under way,
Have you seen the Hypo Awareness course that this site is running? I Have completed it and it is very informative and when you are successful you can have a wrist band of your choice.

You are so right to test and check when you start to feel 'odd', a rethink of your diet and activities is also important, so that you can find the bit that let you go so far down the scale.
I am aware of my hypo's when they start, and I know that I must get to some food and a drink quickly.

Here on the site to help you, and all the other members are so knowledgeable, they will give you all the help and support you need, so get yourself a fall back and keep testing for safety, ttfn from Karen.

Jacquelineann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Karen. Thanks for your reply. Yes I do have glucose, sweets - all sorts with me at all times. This unawareness is a recent and very unwelcome development which I understand can be reversed - (hope so!) and in the meantime I am testing at least 6 times a day. But no, I haven't seen the Hypo Awareness course. I'll have a look at that. It's on this site you say?

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello Jacquelineann, yes it is, you need to go to the Diabetes.co.uk page and there you will find it. You can get these up dates sent direct to you when they occur, just sign up for them. There is also an option to get 365 menu book from the site, you just need to download it. Just a bit of fun, if below this post there are some mini photo's, in 1 there is a head and eyes with wall paper behind,,,, well this is me,,, hope it does not give you a hypo {lol} {in the black box bit}.

Well hope you find the bit and it proves helpful to you, speak with you again, ttfn from Karen

Jacquelineann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No mini photos :-( But thanks for all this info - I did the course. Can't have the wrist band (I don't think) because I live in Spain, but the info was very good. I'll look for the menu book too. Am now aiming to err on the higher side of BG for a while until I become more hypo aware again- or just for safety. Speaks again Jackie

Jacquelineann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah okay, thank you Catherinecherub. Actually, my diabetic nurse has said that I am a type 2 who has now become type 1 (which I believe is impossible) and when I asked the GP (her colleague) what made him think I was type 2 he said "Because most women of your age are"!! As my sister says my diabetes "behaves" like type 1 and other close family members are type 1 so that's the category I put myself in. I am in Spain and the knowledge of the condition within the National Health seems to be pretty minimal, so I am very grateful to have family members who are both medics and diabetic, and also for this site/forum. The more info i can glean the better!

lisastreet81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am type 2 and am 34. Thanks to being told not to test I suffered a stroke end of March last year. When the paramedic arrived my blood sugar was 36! I am now on insulin as well as Metformin. They are handing us a death sentence by refusing to let type 2s test, I am only allowed to test because I am on insulin.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Seafood
Sorry for the length of this, it is all relevent...

I felt paticularly unwell the other day, and having gone without food for over 12 hours I tested my blood. My mmol/L was 12.0, which is high (for me).

I was preparing my lunch at the time and wondered if I should still eat my main meal with this high reading, or not? My thinking being - if my reading is already high then eating could raise it even more.

So, before cooking, I thought I'd ring "111" and ask their opinion (as it was a Bank Holiday and my options were limited).
I talked with a very nice lady on the phone. She checked with her superior and came back to me to say it was OK to still eat it. She said a doctor would call me back within the next couple of hours, but if I felt worse to ring 111 again.

Sometime later, after having cooked and eaten, I got a call from another lady saying the doctor was busy but would still call me back at some point. No problem I thought.

When the doctor eventually did call me he asked some routine questions but then launched into a lecture on blood testing!
He insisted I SHOULD NOT BE TESTING at all, as I was on Metformin. According to him, nobody on Metformin should be testing as it interferes with doing so (?!).
I tried to explain I have always tested once a day, originally on my G.P.s instruction (and whilst taking Metformin). I told him the doctor stopped issuing test strips about a year ago (£££), however I have been buying them to continue testing myself (normally only once a day).
I also pointed out to him if I didn't test my blood HOW was I supposed to know whether my diabetes was "under control" or not?
I had only tested twice on this occasion as I felt so unwell. Without testing I wouldn't have known my blood sugar level was the (probable) cause of me feeling ill.

The doctor grew increasingly stroppy saying I was making up my readings, as what I had told him wasn't possible!
WHY would I do such a thing? I even agreed with him that, the longer I went without food, I would have expected my reading to get lower, not higher.

For information my reading(s) that day were:

On waking (my normal testing time) my reading was 7.4
I don't eat breakfast, as a rule.
At 1215 (before eating) and after 12 hours + without food it was 12.0
(Lunch was eaten about 1300)
At 1410 it had reduced to 8.1
At 1515 it was 5.8
I ate again at teatime.
But at 2355 it was back up at 10.4 and I was feeling quite ill again. This time I didn't phone 111, as my previous dealings with their doctor had scared me off doing so!
I live alone, and I went to bed wondering if it would go higher in my sleep and (perhaps) never wake up.

Anyway, if you are still awake after reading all this...
Has ANYONE else been told NOT to take blood glucose readings whilst using Metformin? It's the first time since being diagnosed Type 2, in 2008, that I've ever heard of it.

How the hell is a sufferer supposed to take control of their diabetes WITHOUT knowing what their blood glucose is?

Puzzled.
I was diagnosed t2

Sun7 flower

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I to take 500mg of Metformin twice a day, I asked about testing and told I did not need to as I was on Metformin, the thing that worries me is I only get a blood test twice a year, how do I know that all is under control, I have type 2 by the way, I watch what eat and am very careful.

Reactions: 2 people

johncornwell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
football, cricket
This discussion keeps coming up, my Four penn'orth is that if you need to phone any one about eating food you should not be doing blood tests. This is the only valid financial reason for not testing. If you can manage your own dietary requirements in conjunction with testing I think the NHS should supply sticks because there is scientific evidence to support this being of long term benefit. On the other hand if I was an MP I would take the short-term view and not spend anything on diabetics, but then I am not a mindless moron, who only thinks of up keep of their duck house.

Arsenal47

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I felt paticularly unwell the other day, and having gone without food for over 12 hours I tested my blood. My mmol/L was 12.0, which is high (for me).

I was preparing my lunch at the time and wondered if I should still eat my main meal with this high reading, or not? My thinking being - if my reading is already high then eating could raise it even more.

So, before cooking, I thought I'd ring "111" and ask their opinion (as it was a Bank Holiday and my options were limited).
I talked with a very nice lady on the phone. She checked with her superior and came back to me to say it was OK to still eat it. She said a doctor would call me back within the next couple of hours, but if I felt worse to ring 111 again.

Sometime later, after having cooked and eaten, I got a call from another lady saying the doctor was busy but would still call me back at some point. No problem I thought.

When the doctor eventually did call me he asked some routine questions but then launched into a lecture on blood testing!
He insisted I SHOULD NOT BE TESTING at all, as I was on Metformin. According to him, nobody on Metformin should be testing as it interferes with doing so (?!).
I tried to explain I have always tested once a day, originally on my G.P.s instruction (and whilst taking Metformin). I told him the doctor stopped issuing test strips about a year ago (£££), however I have been buying them to continue testing myself (normally only once a day).
I also pointed out to him if I didn't test my blood HOW was I supposed to know whether my diabetes was "under control" or not?
I had only tested twice on this occasion as I felt so unwell. Without testing I wouldn't have known my blood sugar level was the (probable) cause of me feeling ill.

The doctor grew increasingly stroppy saying I was making up my readings, as what I had told him wasn't possible!
WHY would I do such a thing? I even agreed with him that, the longer I went without food, I would have expected my reading to get lower, not higher.

At 1515 it was 5.8
I ate again at teatime.
But at 2355 it was back up at 10.4 and I was feeling quite ill again. This time I didn't phone 111, as my previous dealings with their doctor had scared me off doing so!
I live alone, and I went to bed wondering if it would go higher in my sleep and (perhaps) never wake up.

Has ANYONE else been told NOT to take blood glucose readings whilst using Metformin? It's the first time since being diagnosed Type 2, in 2008, that I've ever heard of it.

How the hell is a sufferer supposed to take control of their diabetes WITHOUT knowing what their blood glucose is?

Puzzled.

I totally relate to your experience. I have diabetes

At 1515 it was 5.8
I ate again at teatime.

Puzzled.

My type 2 was induced by my arthritis medication. I was put on 500g Metformin despite my glocuse level was sky high as I was told. Never questioned it as I was in total shock to begin with. Anyway, I asked my GP if I needed to be monitored regularly. He said no and I left. Almost a year later he calls me for a check up then tells me a week later that my glocuse level was even higher. I was in total shock. I said, how on earth would I know if the medicine is working if I don't check it regularly? He increased my med to 1000 morning and evening. Luckily, someone advised me to request a referral to a Beta Cell Unit and my GP went mad. Totally mad. Scolded me off look a school boy. I was literally in tears, but he didn't care. I insisted and I am glad I did. Very professional care and thorough in everything. They insist I test myself regularly on top of their thorough periodic ones. I can't praise them enough.

It seems to me you might need an increase in your dosage of Metformin. Ask to be referred to a Beta Cell unit. All the best.

Arsenal47

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

At 1515 it was 5.8
I ate again at teatime.

Puzzled.

I totally relate to your experience. I have diabetes

At 1515 it was 5.8
I ate again at teatime.

Puzzled.

My type 2 was induced by my arthritis medication. I was put on 500g Metformin despite my glocuse level was sky high as I was told. Never questioned it as I was in total shock to begin with. Anyway, I asked my GP if I needed to be monitored regularly. He said no and I left. Almost a year later he calls me for a check up then tells me a week later that my glocuse level was even higher. I was in total shock. I said, how on earth would I know if the medicine is working if I don't check it regularly? He increased my med to 1000 morning and evening. Luckily, someone advised me to request a referral to a Beta Cell Unit and my GP went mad. Totally mad. Scolded me off look a school boy. I was literally in tears, but he didn't care. I insisted and I am glad I did. Very professional care and thorough in everything. They insist I test myself regularly on top of their thorough periodic ones. I can't praise them enough.

It seems to me you might need an increase in your dosage of Metformin. Ask to be referred to a Beta Cell unit. All the best.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Seafood

At 1515 it was 5.8
I ate again at teatime.

Puzzled.
I was diagnosed t2 nov 2014 and March this year I was refused a prescription for lancets and test strips and told I don't need to test anymore I was also told that I can have only 2 prescriptions a year for these items and for disposal box but diabetes is still a minefield to me although I have now got my levels down within range I find if I go below 5.4 I am ill when first diagnosed I was 25.5 I need to check my levels so I know where I'm up to but I now only check at mornings and can judge the day from that reading (usually) I have found it cheaper to get lancets and test strips from my local chemist and it takes 24 hours because they order them for me but nothing is to much trouble for them
It is all to do with cutbacks because of the state of the NHS it is the pct who has issued this directive cutbacks in the wrong place if you ask me
I will continue to test myself daily and fund myself regardless of what my gp says , I have a sister who is injecting 6 times a day and a nephew who has just started injecting I do not want to go the same way

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Seafood
I was diagnosed t2 nov 2014 and March this year I was refused a prescription for lancets and test strips and told I don't need to test anymore I was also told that I can have only 2 prescriptions a year for these items and for disposal box but diabetes is still a minefield to me although I have now got my levels down within range I find if I go below 5.4 I am ill when first diagnosed I was 25.5 I need to check my levels so I know where I'm up to but I now only check at mornings and can judge the day from that reading (usually) I have found it cheaper to get lancets and test strips from my local chemist and it takes 24 hours because they order them for me but nothing is to much trouble for them
It is all to do with cutbacks because of the state of the NHS it is the pct who has issued this directive cutbacks in the wrong place if you ask me
I will continue to test myself daily and fund myself regardless of what my gp says , I have a sister who is injecting 6 times a day and a nephew who has just started injecting I do not want to go the same way

windy2k14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hiya, reading the info in the forum here has been a bit of an eye opener. I was diagnosed type 2 last december - actually went to see the doc about my leg ulcers as they had become really bad - had them 3 years and had just changed surgeries as the old doc used to say "just relax and control your breathing" for everything including Non epileptic seizures that I regularly have. Went through the usual treatment for the ulcers which failed again so the new GP sent me for a blood test. 2 days later he sent me for another!!! Went to see him and he asked if I knew I had type 2 diabetes? I said no and the last doctor said my sugars were a bit high but its ok - they will come down on their own!!! The new doc asked me if I passed blood at all - which I sometimes do because of haemorrhoids. He said I have Diabetes, am very anaemic and calcium levels are low - so sent me for a colonoscopy and endoscopy. That initially didnt show anything up but about a month later I received a letter to state that I also have Coeliac Disease - what a pain - meant changing my diet again.

I am on metformin 500mg twice a day - which I have found out the hard way are best with me after food or I get a really bad stomach. The nurse does not like me testing, but I bought my own meter, strips and lancets. she came up with the excuse "you dont want your fingers to be sore do you?" how lame.

In this heat I have had 3 hypos last week, and have contacted a friend who has type 1 - she provided valuable advice but I have to be really careful what I eat and drink. Think its under control now. I had not tested for some time and last friday I was really bad, so lunch time I tested and it said 3.1 - I know it should be at least 4.5. managed to get it back up to 7.5, but with the increasing heat I am finding it hard to keep it up to the right leve. Tested a little while ago and was 5.4 - usually just before dinner its around 7.5. Think as has been suggested a few times here, I need to do the hypo awareness assessment so I know and understand more.

I struggle with arthritis when its cold and loads of things when its hot - cant win!!!

I appreciate all the help on this forum

Reactions: 4 people

Arsenal47

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

At 1515 it was 5.8
I ate again at teatime.

Puzzled.
Totally my experience. Ask to be referred to a Beta Cell unit. Your dosage is too low for your level of glocuse.

alisonhe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetics are continually being told to take responsibility for their illness, yet HOW are we expected to do so without testing?
If I had not tested I would not have even known my reading was so high (12.0 is HIGH for me). I wouldn't have sought advice and could have made the situation even worse. With a family history of strokes (both parents), and suffering with high B.P; cholesterol, DVT's etc I need to be careful.

I normally use my one and only daily test (which I take before doing anything) as a guideline. From it I can see any trend occurring with my diabetes. If I only got tested as part of my yearly diabetes examination (done by the practice nurse at my G.P's), a lot could change in that year.

I suffer with several other conditions which, when combined with diabetes, puts me in a higher risk category. I do not want to lose my limbs as a result, as I live alone with no help and I would be unable to do so if I were to be rendered even more disabled.

It may be worth reading Dr Bernsteins book the diabetes solution about both T1 and 2 - he says you should test and I think we all agree that you should. I am T1 (29years of being T1) and I test a minimum of 3 x day, I recently started testing more before and after my morning exercise and have just learnt that my bs goes up during exercise when all these years I have been eating a little before exercise if I am normal or low but I now know I don't need to - this is referred to as the Dawn Phenomenem which could be the cause of your high.

NorthenIan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm type 2 I've been testing for over a year now, I have used it to control mine and reduce the amount of metformin I take. I'm sure the test strips cost less than the drug so it's helping me and potentially saving money for the nhs. Win win

Reactions: 8 people