Carbs that sugar.

Runrig

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK, I get it that all the carb content of a product turns to glucose and this is why a number of us special people chose a low carb diet. What I don't quite get a grasp of is the significance of the amount of carbs that sugar. Is this quantity of carbs that sugar really all that significant when all the rest turns to glucose anyway?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I read you correctly you may have misunderstood the label. It states Total Carbs of which xg is sugar.

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sugar is a carbohydrate and is therefore included in the total carb content, and as Squire says, is also mentioned as an amount in its own right under the "of which sugar" total. Sugar will cause a rapid rise in BS levels, and the higher the actual sugar content the higher the rise will be, although all the carb content will convert to sugar, albeit at a slower rate.

Reactions: 10 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The bit that lists the sugars in the carbs is almost irrelevent and normally can be ignored. If the sugars are high it does imply the carbs will be high-GI

Reactions: 2 people

Runrig

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks guys. You've all been a big help and I'm now much more in the picture. Lol, when I was first diagnosed and knew nothing about diabetes, I thought I could eat all the carbs I liked, just so long as the "of which sugars" bit was low. :)

trace_1963

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks guys. You've all been a big help and I'm now much more in the picture. Lol, when I was first diagnosed and knew nothing about diabetes, I thought I could eat all the carbs I liked, just so long as the "of which sugars" bit was low. :)

Barry Holt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Drivers who speed in built up areas
It's good to have a refresher on everything sometimes,can't be wasted,might just pick something new up or something forgotten