Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi all,

I switched over to Tresiba earlier this year after not getting on with levemir at all, my basal dose was going up and up and was running high constantly with very poor control. During this time I put on over 1 1/2 stone in weight, and although i'm big boned and can carry it I am keen to get back to my target weight. I am getting on great with Tresiba but after starting at 28 units have been gradually decreasing my dose, as i'm now cycling most nights I have bought it down to 22 units with good control through the day.

I am interested to find out what other people are taking daily and if you're ok to tell me what your current weight is ? I am interested to see what a typical dose looks like as I think i'm still taking too much.

Thanks ;)

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Juicyj
I've been diagnosed just over 2 years and switched to Tresiba from Levemir in February this year. So far so good.
I was taking 3 units a day up until a recent chest infection when I increased it and it never went back down when I got better.
I now take 5 units and weigh 9 1/2 stone.
Hope that helps.
Andrea

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Juicyj - I switched to Tresiba earlier this year. I'd been on a split dose of Levemir which I'd had to keep increasing with no real control - constant correction boluses and mild hypos. Levemir simply didn't work for me. I ended up juggling two different basal to try to get some control - Levemir morning and Insuman evening. That worked to an extent, but was a nightmare to manage. So I was allowed to try Tresiba. It took me a long while to get the dose right, but now I have very good control most of the time - very few corrections and almost no hypos.

The surprise for me is that I take a single dose of 9 units Tresiba instead of 16 split Levemir. My bolus ratio has also changed so I take less Apidra with my meals and almost no corrections, meaning a significant drop in my TDD. I weigh about 7 1/2 stone but I do low carb to around 50g carb a day which would also affect the TDD.

Smidge

Reactions: 4 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am currently on 12u per day (can range from 10 to 14) weight is around 67 kilos

Reactions: 4 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Wow everyone seems to be on very low doses.. Which tells me I am taking too much, I just can't shift this weight and it's the only thing I can put it down to is that I'm taking too much insulin, I sound very similar to @smidge as I had the same problem with Levemir so over time my dose just kept going up and up with corrections too. I also eat low carb too probably around 40-50g a day but worried if I do drop my dose that I'll run high again..

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
been on it for a few months now and dose is 11 units compared to the 26 units of levemir and lantus, bloods are far better controlled now aswell

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been dropping all day - might need to reduce to at least 11u during hotter weather.

silverbirch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Juicyj, I too was on Levemir 24 units daily, once a day. My BG was always high and was chastised many times for not keeping my BG down. It was a roller coaster of corrections. Had a diabetic review (because of high BG), and was put onto Tresiba. What a wonderful result that created, BG under control. I went on it April this year and now my BG is under control. I have 20 units every morning. My weight before Tresiba was 12 stone 3lbs. Sad to say as much as I love the new BG results my weight has ballooned and I'm now 14 stone. Heaven only knows how much I'll weigh by Christmas. Never have I ever weighed this much. I am not a happy girl. I shall be phoning the Diabetic nurse this week to see what can be done. Don't think she'll change it as my BG is well controlled. Thanks for posting this, thought it was just me. :)

Last edited:

silverbirch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
UPDATE

Spoke today with the nurse from the Diabetic Clinic at my hospital. Mentioned that I had put on a lot of weight since taking Tresiba. She was adamant that it was nothing to do with Tresiba and it was to do with my diet. I said I am on the same diet that I was on before I started Tresiba, my diet hasn't changed. She wasn't listening and was so adamant that Tresiba isn't to blame and that I should diet and exercise. If you want to go back to using Levemir then you can do so but your BG numbers were out of control. You can contact me if you change your mind. So there we have it. Obviously some people are having a weight problem with this insulin and some aren't. It seems the hospital are taking those people that aren't as their guideline. For the rest of us, it's your own fault for not dieting and exercising.

Last edited:

x Carol x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting what everyone injects. I typically inject 9 units of Tresiba and I eat carnivore usually. I switched to Tresiba last year and it hasn't caused weight gain for me. I injected 15 units initially, but I switched back to carb eating for a while and my basal, surprisingly, dropped down to 1 unit. When I went back to carnivore, I found my basal settled at 9. It was almost like going on carbs for 6 weeks had broken some kind of insulin resistance. I'd been keto and then carnivore for around 12 years at this point. Have you been keto/low carb for long @Juicyj? I wonder if what happened to me would work for others too?

Mathewted

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting what everyone injects. I typically inject 9 units of Tresiba and I eat carnivore usually. I switched to Tresiba last year and it hasn't caused weight gain for me. I injected 15 units initially, but I switched back to carb eating for a while and my basal, surprisingly, dropped down to 1 unit. When I went back to carnivore, I found my basal settled at 9. It was almost like going on carbs for 6 weeks had broken some kind of insulin resistance. I'd been keto and then carnivore for around 12 years at this point. Have you been keto/low carb for long @Juicyj? I wonder if what happened to me would work for others too?
This is likely to do with glucose sparing insulin resistance on a non carb diet; how was the bolus on carnivore vs omnivore?

EDIT: your question on injection volumes.
I inject 8.5units Tresiba and bolus of FiAsp at 1i.u. to 25g carbs (occasionally I have to top up 0.5/1 after a while).

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve just caught up with this thread. Just to throw food for thought in. You were put on Tresiba because of erratic control. Could it be that higher levels were impacting on keeping weight down. Just as we tend to run high before diagnosis and lose weight. Albeit more rapidly.
I changed about 3 years ago. Am on 7 units and my weight remained stable. I changed because I wanted a good reliable once a day insulin not because of control. Tried Toujeo first but didn’t find much difference from the Lantus. I love Tresiba.

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77

x Carol x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is likely to do with glucose sparing insulin resistance on a non carb diet; how was the bolus on carnivore vs omnivore?
Not sure I understand about glucose sparing insulin resistance. Do you have a simple explanation of it or a link I could read? Why would that cause my basal to have permanently changed to 9 from 15? My bolus ratio when going back on carbs was rubbish. I basically had to divide carbs in g by 6. On carnivore I divide protein in g by 10. My bolus on carnivore is much lower.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’ve just caught up with this thread. Just to throw food for thought in. You were put on Tresiba because of erratic control. Could it be that higher levels were impacting on keeping weight down. Just as we tend to run high before diagnosis and lose weight. Albeit more rapidly.
I changed about 3 years ago. Am on 7 units and my weight remained stable. I changed because I wanted a good reliable once a day insulin not because of control. Tried Toujeo first but didn’t find much difference from the Lantus. I love Tresiba.

Although I'm not on a basal/bolus regime I agree with the first part of your thinking. I've been on a pump for 8 years now and since using closed loop I've gained weight which my doctor did put down to the fact that with better control usually comes more insulin which in turn causes weight gain. I think regardless of whichever insulin you use if you suddenly start using more than previously because you want better control weight gain is something that is going to come along with it.